Autopsy Rd 8 Carlton v Geelong Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

474365960-rd-8-geelong-v-carlton-gettyimages.jpg

Joel this is what a real high tackle feels like.

Curnow did a good job on Duckwood... I thought that Army did a very good job on the dangerous Motlop.
I'm not a huge fan of Curnow but he was brilliant last night. He did a brilliant job on Selwood. Just wish he had've kicked that goal.

He was let go because

He was let go because he had a rubbish year and had never played well in a final yet still wanted 500k per year. Make no mistake, he wouldn't be half the player at Carlton as he is at Adelaide. If he was at Carlton kicking 1 or 2 per game max then everyone would be whinging that he is overpaid
Christ we love re-writing history. Betts never played well in a final? He was among our best in the final vs Richmond the year we turfed him.

If people on here really think the incoming of Daisy had nothing to do with Betts leaving, then you are kidding yourself.

As if Mick wasn't licking his lips at free salary cap space to get his favourite son.

Betts was always good for us and a leader among the other indigienous lads, it was a mistake letting him walk. Simple.

Was it just me or did Judd look average tonight? There were a couple of times where Guthrie outdid him early on and it just seemed like he wasn't all that interested.

I hope we haven't broken the champ :(
Mick said he was sore after two 6 day breaks.

One should never defend making their own decisions , it's a good thing .

Unconditional support is just plain dumb and lazy ...
Thanks RB.
I stuck with the club through the dark times of 10 years ago. But as someone else said this feels different.

Liam Jones or Daisy ? Can't make up my mind who is the worst recruit
The players just look so lost, inept and shell shocked and it will be years before we challenge for the finals again.
We just have to trust that SOS works his magic and we plant the seeds of a decent team down the track.
In these darkest of times we need to focus on the positives , not that there are too many.
My wife is a St Kilda barracker - now there is lesson in perseverance and loyalty - she saw one premiership when she was 3.
I have witnessed 8 so count myself fortunate.
To cheer yourselves up watch a replay of the 1995 GF (20th Anniversary coming up)

GO BLUES !!!

the blues were are great to club to follow once upon a time !!

You can keep repeating this until the cows come home however some people will never get it through their thick skulls because it doesn't suit their agenda.

If we didn't get Thomas we would have got compo for Eddie (pick 28) then we could have used that pick to draft someone useless that would be delisted by the end of this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many people seem to be saying that we our effort was a little better last night, although I don't agree.

What has gone wrong with the team that last year we took Geelong to within one kick the 2 times we played them, yet in the space of just one off-season we have become a team that were lucky to only to lose to Geelong (IMO, who are a weaker side than they were last year) by 12 goals.

How have our skills gotten so bad that even our best skilled players in the likes of Murphy and Gibbs and Yarran and Menzel are regularly missing simple targets?
How has our defensive structure crumbled so much that we have multiple opposition players regularly running around the ground without a Carlton player within 50 yards of them?
How has our defensive unit gotten so bad to the point where we watch in slow motion as opposition forwards take simple marks with no pressure from their direct defender?
How has our forward structure gotten so bad to the point that for huge chinks of game time we don't have a single forward in our forward 50?
How has our decision making gotten so bad that we never take the first option, that we never direct a pass towards a player instead just kicking it up high on their heads, that we don't even look where we are kicking it any more preferring to just slam it on the boot to make it some one else's problem?

Just six months ago we were at least able to stay in touch and even compete against teams like Geelong, now we have deteriorated so badly that people are saying we put in more effort in a game where we lost by 77 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many people seem to be saying that we our effort was a little better last night, although I don't agree.

What has gone wrong with the team that last year we took Geelong to within one kick the 2 times we played them, yet in the space of just one off-season we have become a team that were lucky to only to lose to Geelong (IMO, who are a weaker side than they were last year) by 12 goals.

How have our skills gotten so bad that even our best skilled players in the likes of Murphy and Gibbs and Yarran and Menzel are regularly missing simple targets?
How has our defensive structure crumbled so much that we have multiple opposition players regularly running around the ground without a Carlton player within 50 yards of them?
How has our defensive unit gotten so bad to the point where we watch in slow motion as opposition forwards take simple marks with no pressure from their direct defender?
How has our forward structure gotten so bad to the point that for huge chinks of game time we don't have a single forward in our forward 50?
How has our decision making gotten so bad that we never take the first option, that we never direct a pass towards a player instead just kicking it up high on their heads, that we don't even look where we are kicking it any more preferring to just slam it on the boot to make it some one else's problem?

Just six months ago we were at least able to stay in touch and even compete against teams like Geelong, now we have deteriorated so badly that people are saying we put in more effort in a game where we lost by 77 points.

Agree with this. I thought our effort was better but then I see the number of tackles and want to cry.

How have so many elements of our game dropped off so severely and what are they doing to address it? Nothing!

That's what shits me!

Absolutely agree. This goose is cooked.

All valid questions that I want to understand too. The MM supporters suggest this is the trajectory our list was always on. I just can't see it that way. Not like this, not this quickly ... and after 3 preseasons MM had a duty to identify and limit such a fall. His failure to identify and action deficiencies is his issue. He can't be exonerated on all points and if he has some responsibility this messiah status is in question.

All valid questions that I want to understand too. The MM supporters suggest this is the trajectory our list was always on. I just can't see it that way. Not like this, not this quickly ... and after 3 preseasons MM had a duty to identify and limit such a fall. His failure to identify and action deficiencies is his issue. He can't be exonerated on all points and if he has some responsibility this messiah status is in question.
Not 3 years, an apparent turnaround from our last 6 weeks last year. Even some desperate Malthouse supporters have jumped off in recent times...I just can't see how MM could possibly be the right man for this club.

Agree with this. I thought our effort was better but then I see the number of tackles and want to cry.

How have so many elements of our game dropped off so severely and what are they doing to address it? Nothing!

That's what shits me!
35 tackles was pathetic. Shows a real lack of effort and a willingness to work. But thought we played better as a group than last week.

Club must interview all possible replacements for Mick and not just pick a new coach because one of our rich benefactors says he should be the next coach.
Spot on and this is part of the bigger problem at Carlton today. We dont seem to have processes in place that modern football demands and all other clubs put in place.

I must admit that I get knocked about when the footy team I love is performing so badly. I have relied on the Blues for five decades to provide a source of excitement and joy. I'm limited in that way. Sheltered upbringing. I know we are all entitled to vent, get angry, apply blame etc. Reading BF is becoming like the fifth quarter for me where the pain of what I've witnessed tonight is intensified and makes me feel worse. I really should get a life outside of football.:(
Honestly Rmh, now might be a good time to start... :(

Betts - Was a very very bad decision to let him go and i dont believe he wanted to go, Carlton could have and should have lept him and paid him what he was asking whicj really wasnt that much more.
Thanks for your thoughts TG. However I am going to take you to task on the above point. Irrespective of the reasons Eddie went to Adelaide, whether it was family/his father etc., or whether he'd have stayed at Carlton for less money than it took for him to leave, there is simply no way he would be worth as much to us as he is to Adelaide. Judging the decision based on his performance at Adelaide would be to undervalue the skill set of the Adelaide centre, and grossly overvalue the skill set of Carlton's.

As I've said before in other threads, he may well be worth $500K to Adelaide, and based on his current performances he certainly is, but if we'd paid him that much to keep him, I have no doubt that we'd be sitting him bemoaning the amount of money we were paying a player that had only kicked 10 goals so far this season...

Thanks RB.
I stuck with the club through the dark times of 10 years ago. But as someone else said this feels different.
I suspect it's because when we bottomed out last time, we at least had the comfort of blaming it on Jack, the AFL, the loss of draft picks, the fines, etc...

Now we're just s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back