Roast Bias on 'not 15' calls.

Remove this Banner Ad

wallyt99

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2007
Bay 13
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone noticed this year the short pass into the forward line has basically gone from our game due to umps calling 'not 15' on any pass less than 20 metres?

I was pretty cool with it until watching other games (e.g collingwood v richmond) where it is clear the only team being called on this is us.

Anyone else picked this up?

Don't mind it as long as it's consistent but therein lies the problem. Seems like a tricky one to enforce consistently and 15 metres seems to be different when a team is in their D50 compared to going forward.

Like incorrect disposal and shepparding in the marking contest the umps pick and choose who to penalise. There was one example from the game last night where Tuohy was penalised for shepparding in the marking contest which I see Geelong do week in and week out.

Anyone noticed this year the short pass into the forward line has basically gone from our game due to umps calling 'not 15' on any pass less than 20 metres?

I was pretty cool with it until watching other games (e.g collingwood v richmond) where it is clear the only team being called on this is us.

I remember Chris Scott whinging in a press conference last year about our short kicking and making a passive aggressive comment about he didn't understand how we were able to get away with it.

I don't mind the change, but it will hit us harder than some other teams as we were the masters of this for the past 2 years.

My suspicion is that this year we are trying to do more dribble kicks into the forward 50 instead, but this doesn't really work.

Last edited:
The stats are against this theory:

Inside 50's
2014 = 55.4 (3rd)

2015 = 61.7 (1st)

Marks inside 50
2014 = 12.8 (3rd)

2015 = 15.9 (1st)

Percentage of marks for inside 50's
2014 = 23%

2015 = 26%

Isn't it incredible how our numbers are once again elit in all aspects of the game yet 3 f'n losses!

We do tend to get called a lot for not 15m and then minutes later you see an opposition pass which barely 10m allowed. You also see this in at lot in other games right down to 7m passes being ruled as valid marks!.

Frankly the umpires are very poor at judging what is 15m and what is 10m. It may have something to do with the speed of the game or perhaps they are just poor at determining distance which most people are (especially the commentators). Certainly the umpires are not trained sufficiently to overcome this deficiency.

Never mind the 'Not 15' calls...It's the opposition continually being 'allowed' to hold onto our blokes with impunity, when not in possession....When all it takes is One or 2 calls early in the game to stamp it out.

Clarko & the club would be remiss if they have not spoken to the umpiring fraternity & POINTED THIS BLATANTLY ILLEGAL TACTIC OUT.

Let's be perfectly honest here - as blokes, we're prone to adding a few inches when talking about measurements, so perhaps the kicks are in fact a tad short of what's required ;)
It's not about the length of the kick, but what you do with it.

This year in a game, i saw a defender kick to the pocket, clearly not 15 but OK. The other guy then kicked back, from the same positions and it was not 15 play on
In the same positions give or take a few cm. exactly wtf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I'm amazed that the umpires can call "not 15" when the ball is kicked, but have minimal concept of 15 metres when a player is running with the ball.

Exactly, mogine. I don't know how many times (Hawthorn players included) I've seen players run twice the distance that has been considered 15 metres. I freeze every time Billy goes for a run.
It makes you wonder do umpires do any awareness training relating to distances?

Exactly, mogine. I don't know how many times (Hawthorn players included) .I've seen players run twice the distance that has been considered 15 metres I freeze every time Billy goes for a run.
It makes you wonder do umpires do any awareness training relating to distances?

Agree Th - the game has sped up so much - change the rule to a 20 metre run and 20 metre kick

Agree Th - the game has sped up so much -

You're absolutely right.

Albert Einstein, in his theory of special relativity, determined that the laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers, and he showed that the speed of light within a vacuum is the same no matter the speed at which an observer travels.

In other words, the umpiring department exists so far from the reality we as spectators know and understand, they see speeds and distances in a manner that is relative to their existence as defined by AFL headquarters i.e. changing interpretations and measurements which are both subject to interpretation and subjectively related to a series of marketing and financial constraints which distort the atmosphere and gravitational pull of the insular, vacuum-like AFL headquarters, where they do not breathe the same air as us spectators or exist in anything like the same terrestrial reality.

Clear?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back