Brown Hesse Sheedy
Cheshire Johnson Stevic
Dalton Ligris Doherty Marshall

Johnson, Marshall, Parkinson in for Gaite, Harbour, Hudson Bevege

Saturday Seniors v St Bedes Mentone,2pm, Brunswick Street Oval
Reserves v St Bedes Mentone, 11.40am, Brunswick Street Oval
U19s v St Bedes Mentone, 2pm, Ramsden Street Oval, Clifton Hill
Thirds v St Kevins, 11.40am, Ramsden Street Oval, Clifton Hill

I , derrinalphil, have been buggerizing around. I went, with my dear Claire, to Italy and Rome, and so have missed several Fitzroy matches. I went to Rome, the Eternal City. Anyone who has visited my home would know that I have all of the Republican Roman sources in my library. I have most of the important text books that discuss the fall of the Roman Republic at my finger-tips. When I was being shepherded around Rome, by people who couldn’t recognise a proper roman toga they were wearing it around their own ging gang goooles, I had to keep my mouth shut as….

Basically I knew ten times more about ancient Rome than any guide but I wanted for the first time to see the Flavian Amphitheatre, (if you don’t know what this is, in popular speak, wash your mouths out), the Roman Forum and the Tarpenian Rock, none reading this will have heard of these rocks ( more fool you).

I took my Claire to Venice, so she could buy some of the glassware that Venice has been famous for many years. We went to Florence and Claire bought some Italian Leatherwear. I went to Sicily, a place of natural beauty, multiple-period charms, of intense interest of a scholar of the First Punic War, and so so cheap, to a modern tourist. We went to Napoli and Sorrento to eat and, well look up my facebook page.

I spent some not inconsiderable time in the Vatican Museum’s, which are the result of many years of the Vatican stealing anything they could find in Rome, not nailed down. I went to the Sistine Chapel, the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano and a million other churches, too many to mention and all too splendid for my poor command of the English language to describe. The topography of central Italy, the crucial determinate of the spread, development of Roman thought and culture, was displayed as one plunged into the wonderful tunnels and precipitous bridges that dot the major Italian motorways.

But today I had bigger fish to fry. I was a man on a mission.

I came back to Melbourne with a backlog of work and a heavy cold but today, Saturday, derrinalphil was going home. Finished work late but on arrival at the BSO (three quarter time in the Ressies) I was closer to heaven that when I was up in the ceiling of the Vatican. It was a cold, but sunny, winter’s day, the sort that we Melbournians, fail to recognise and appreciate. The oval was picture card pretty and I was ready for some footy. Derrinalphil was coming home.

It did not take long. The first thing to do was to start bagging the opposition; as one of the St Bede’s players took a cheap shot and coughed up a free kick. I erupted in my usual taunts, including commenting that the offender being so stupid that his parents sent him to St Bedes rather than a good school like St Kevins etc etc. Next was the supporter’s manna from heaven: great Fitzroy tackle, appropriately rewarded, derrinalphil screeching “ball, (the longer the pause the better ) Yeah”. I was on a roll. Overseas travel has nothing on this. Young Cath and Anthony were the first to say ‘Welcome back derrinalphil. We missed you’. I don’t think any opposition supporters missed me. What an end to the seconds match, a trigger finger umpire, paid us a doubtful mark, well a very doubtful mark, a second before the final siren. We were five points down but the kick after the siren fixed that up. While in Rome I dined at restaurants with Michelin chefs hats but we got that game served up, with silver service. I paid two hundred Euros for one meal. I wonder what the umpire got paid!!!!!

We started the first quarter in the seniors kicking with a slight breeze but I should have bought the binoculars. St Bede’s were constantly in attack and had two majors on the board before we scored. It looked grim for the Roys, as grim as someone convicted of parricide in ancient Rome. They were sown into a bag with a dog, utensil, snake and sometimes a monkey and then thrown into the Tiber.

In the first half St Bede’s had periods where they failed to convert and so did we. We kicked one goal five behinds in the second quarter and a few of the Tramconductors , when confronted with our inability to convert simple shots for goal, were using phrases that would have caused a candle at Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano to go out, and stay out.

Luckily for the Boys From old Fitzroy we had Corbin Stevic terrorizing the St Bede’s backline, marking at will, bringing the ball down, creating the spillages. This perceived pressure caused a few undisciplined acts from St Bede’s and we went in at half time a point in front. Corbs had three to half time. He stood up early when we really needed it. Our new full forward, Dale Sheedy, was prominent early, and will be a great pick up for the rest of the year. These two blokes were our Quintus Fabius Maximus. We had held St Bede’s but we had not beaten them. Now we had to break them.

The second half started as arm wrestle, an epic contest between two closely matched teams. This was the Second Punic War (between the Romans and the Carthaginians ) all over again. They dominated the first ten minutes but our defence, led by Max Ellis, did not crack. We had our period to go forward and a minute before three quarter time we were twenty points up. A late St Bede’s goal was an exquisite agony to the Fitzroy throng behind the goals but we should not have worried.

The last quarter was a rerun of the battle of Zamma. Hannibal (St Bede’s) had run his race. Two Fitzroy players Rori and young Docherty) had personal purple patches, each kicking three second half goals. The Carthaginians were not going to roll over but we had our Scipio Africanus, our general, our Daniel Bisetto. He won every knock out in the second half, marked everything coming his way, and threw himself at every contest and could be found at the bottom of every pack.

Centurions; Dom PP, Won’t he Fenton and Al Green added lustre to their personal standards bur our shield wall withstood all that St Bede’s could throw at us. My favourite gladius, Dillon, scored a few underhand blows at enemy vitals as a disciplined Roman soldier should. He reminds me of a slinger, a Balearic slinger, very annoying but not lethal.

The Romans moved east after beating the Carthaginians but we move south, down to Parkvale. See you all there and come on the Roys.

Roys faint hopes Tyquinated in feint battle at Brindisi

St Bedes Mentone Tigers 21.15. 141 v Fitzroy 8.9.57

What a backyard it must have been as the Tyquin brothers grew up in their Mentone family home. I envisage young Pat, Jimmy and Tom smashing home windows with pressure passes to each other until they perfected marking the ball at all costs. I see them knocking clean clothes, just washed and hung by their Mum, off the line with similar bullet foot and hand passes as they honed their football skills. After doing so I imagine them hightailing off long enough for their Mother to pine for their safe homecoming for dinner and lovingly forgetting their boyish football indiscretions with a roast leg of lamb, peas ,beans, roast potatoes, carrots ,pumpkin, gravy and some brussell sprouts just to prove their father could eat them!

Now, unfortunately for the Roys, the brothers bring their skills each week to St Bedes Mentone Tigers and last Saturday the trio smashed our Lions in a truly Philadelphian exhibition. Thank heaven all the Wintle brothers don’t all still play in this Tiger team.

We had our own who held their colours on the day namely Green and Brown. “El” left the contest, hip injured (giving new meaning to Fitzroy ‘Hipster’), not to return, with nine minutes to play in the 3rd Quarter and this was a catastrophic loss of our best player. Matt Brown took up where he left off in the final Quarter last week (when he had 8 possessions, 2 goal assists and 11 tap outs/take withs).

As noted by our coach at the Thursday night call of the teams Matt’s flexibility enabled him to take a key defensive role this week in the absence of Tom Biscaro and James Meakin; he once again dedicated himself to the difficult task and was ably supported by Ross Borland. Matt left us for overseas in R12 last year (a win v Haileybury away) and we did not win thereafter. With 5 Rounds left to play there are hopefully more than 1 win and a draw left to be grasped this year. The ‘invisible’ Jack Dalton also kept up his recent good form once satisfied his younger brother hadn’t been seriously injured in the earlier reserves match. Luckily Dad Dalton didn’t bring the Harley this week or Sam would have had frozen on the pillion seat on the way to hospital and been a cadaver when arriving back to the game so cold was the chilling wind.

Endeavour was good from some other players but skills on the day, not assisted by a tricky wind, were well below par.

Dust off , jump up, take note of the brotherly way the Tyquin tigers played and we should get the nod against the Nodders next week.

After the game the wounded warriors and supporter caravan repaired to ‘Percy’s Bar’ at the North Fitzroy Arms for meals and refreshments. Here the highlight for this scribe occurred when 4 time Premiership Carlton Legend Peter Jones on the request of President Joan graciously signed a #28 Carlton Guernsey (pre signed by current day Carlton players) thus increasing its value exponentially. Mr. Jones will get his long time friend and teammate Syd Jackson to also sign the Guernsey and Blues/Roys fans will get a chance to bid for a jumper signed by “triple J” Premiership players Jones(4) ,Jackson(2) & Judd (1 WCE- after doing everything super humanely possible to get Carlton one ) . Don’t hear it said that former champions of Carlton, in its own time of need, forget their suburban ‘little brother’ Fitzroy in its rebirthed configuration.

Play like brothers and Go Roys!

Last edited:
Stevic is ma man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back