How good is Hawkins??

Remove this Banner Ad

I have it on good authority (his coach) that if he had of marked the ball better and kicked the ball better last night he would of had a good game.:drunk:
But seriously he's about half as good as Cats fans believe which makes him a pretty good player

latest

You think Hawkins has been a better player over the journey than Matthew Pavlich, Jack Riewoldt and Jarryd Roughead?

That's embarrassing.

Jesse White has the same amount of goals with more disposals and marks per game.

Lol. We could make a game out of this:

Tom Hawkins (2015): 9.7 disposals, 4.5 marks, 1.7 goals
Luke McGuane (2013): 10.7 disposals, 3.8 marks, 1.7 goals
Tyrone Vickery (2014): 10.5 disposals, 4.5 marks, 2.0 goals

If Hawkins was as good as the OP thinks Simon White would have to be close to an All Australian defender
Hawkins probably should not have played last night. He was clearly restricted by the injury that kept him out last week.

Well he's better than Jack Reiwoldt. Did you mean Nick?

Btw don't feed our new troll

They're the same age, were taken in the same draft, yet Jack has a 100+ goal lead on him and has outperformed him this year.

We just gonna sit here and pretend that Jack didn't kick 100 goals in a 25 game stretch back when Tommy was kicking a goal a game and trying to cement his spot in the team?

We just gonna pretend that Tommy hasn't had only 2.5 quality seasons to Jack's 5?

They're the same age, were taken in the same draft, yet Jack has a 100+ goal lead on him and has outperformed him this year.

We just gonna sit here and pretend that Jack didn't kick 100 goals in a 25 game stretch back when Tommy was kicking a goal a game and trying to cement his spot in the team?

We just gonna pretend that Tommy hasn't had only 2.5 quality seasons to Jack's 5?

You are entitled to your opinion, buts it not a contest in my opinion. One player lifts his game in finals and big games, the other scores heavily in games and quarters that don't matter.

Personally prefer Hawkins over Jack. Hawkins gets on well with Fyfe, loves a hug and seems like a good guy. Jack always looks as though he has just burned his toast

You are entitled to your opinion, buts it not a contest in my opinion. One player lifts his game in finals and big games, the other scores heavily in games and quarters that don't matter.

Jack kicks more goals against the top 4 than he does against the rest. His averages go up against the top 4 every year since 2010.

The only justification I've ever seen for Hawkins being a better player are based on vibe. He is "more of a matchwinner" or "lifts in big games" are the two usual ones. Since the 2011 Grand Final here are Tommy's performances in finals:

9 disposals, 0.2 against Fremantle in 2012 EF. Geelong lost and were eliminated.
8 disposals, 2.1 against Port in 2013 SF. Cats won
10 disposals, 1.1 against Hawthorn in 2013 PF. Cat's lost by less than a kick.
7 disposals, 1.2 against Hawthorn in 2014 QF. Cat's lost.
18 disposals, 5.3 against North in the 2014 SF. Cat's lost.

That's the problem. Because Tommy plays in a quality team his bad games get overlooked. People remember the successes but forget the many failures.

Last edited:

An we won't pretend Tom Hawkins was THE reason Geelong won the 2011 premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bloke looks like something out of the alien movies.

Big body forward, He does what you would expect him to do.

A reason. Shane Ellen could claim the same thing.

Over their careers, Hawkins is a long way behind Jack. And he's not even close to Pavlich or Roughead.
I'm not comparing Jack to Tom, but if Tom had been in the Richmond team I dare say his output will have been similar. Jack is Richmond's ONLY effective forward. In Geelong's premiership period goal kicking was shared amongst many. IIRC, we had at least half a dozen players with 30+ goals

Tom Hawkins has been over hyped since the 2011 grand final, he played well but he was playing on a injured Ben Reid. He has done nothing of note since then

Tom Hawkins has been over hyped since the 2011 grand final, he played well but he was playing on a injured Ben Reid. He has done nothing of note since then
Of note? Nothing? I guess AA selection is not noteworthy? Or winning a club's B&F?

I don't like Riewoldt but if he had Geelongs service he would have given 100 a nudge a few times.
When? Between 2007 and 2011 it was not Geelong's style of play to put all its eggs in one basket. Hence you had Mooney, Johnson, Podsiadly, Nathan Ablett, Gary Ablett, Stokes, Hawkins, Chapman and others contributing more than 20 goals in a season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back