Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, Wayne Carey is an idiot. He answers that Selwood does not duck his head. No he does not lower it in the way the popular pond bird does but he does lower his head by dropping his legs and put himself in a position to be tackled high. Although it may not technically be ducking it is a movement outside of his normal movement that puts his neck at risk. Ducking and dropping may not be exactly the same thing but have the same intention, to draw a free; why can no-one notice this?

Geez, Wayne Carey is an idiot. He answers that Selwood does not duck his head. No he does not lower it in the way the popular pond bird does but he does lower his head by dropping his legs and put himself in a position to be tackled high. Although it may not technically be ducking it is a movement outside of his normal movement that puts his neck at risk. Ducking and dropping may not be exactly the same thing but have the same intention, to draw a free; why can no-one notice this?

They're putting wallpaper over the cracks, don't worry about it.

Duck, dive, drop, flop, fall, playing for free kicks is playing for free kicks, and Selwood plays for free kicks frequently.

I thought Mick's presser was an impressive performance. Straight to the point, no BS, not surly answers and gave some good explanation of why they cant get some of their players onto the park. Used 37 players so far and have a decent injury list. There is no quick fix for Carlton. Whatever happens they need patience. Mick has survived 30 odd years coaching because he is strong willed and isnt a shrinking violet. Wouldnt be surprised if he survives this. Will be an interesting meeting when the bye turns up.

Ling made a good point that if Carlton were going thru this with another coach and Mick was in the media, the call would be out for Carlton to go and chase Mick and get him.

Malthouse is claiming that constant talk of Carlton rebuilding has left the players 'devoid of confidence'. Really Mick is that the best excuse you can come up with. There are good explanations for the poor performances but that's not one of them.

Malthouse is claiming that constant talk of Carlton rebuilding has left the players 'devoid of confidence'. Really Mick is that the best excuse you can come up with. There are good explanations for the poor performances but that's not one of them.
The players care factor for Carlton is zero which is why you never leave coach in charge of a side once you've made the decision he is gone. This playing at the term of the contract or the season out is rubbish CEOs don't stay in charge of a company until the end of the financial year once the board decides they are not the person for the job. That playing group are going to drop into some pretty bad habits are going to be hard to shake for the next coach if they play the season out like that.

Carlton have been a tragic event for many years. Will we see the media lording the relevance of this club in the AFL ? I doubt it will be to wide spread if at all.

Given how poor the blues are going and how the sun's have responded to rocket, how many decent teams are going around with 'experienced' coaches.

There comes a certain point when ideas are out dated and you can't reach the players anymore

They're putting wallpaper over the cracks, don't worry about it.

Duck, dive, drop, flop, fall, playing for free kicks is playing for free kicks, and Selwood plays for free kicks frequently.
We probably shouldn't throw stones with the way Gus flops around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given how poor the blues are going and how the sun's have responded to rocket, how many decent teams are going around with 'experienced' coaches.

There comes a certain point when ideas are out dated and you can't reach the players anymore

Eade clearly has off field cultural issues to deal with and the players are switching off as he attempts to deal with them, because they are campaigners.

Give Eade time. Gold coast has deeper issues than simply on field performance.

I thought Mick's presser was an impressive performance. Straight to the point, no BS, not surly answers and gave some good explanation of why they cant get some of their players onto the park. Used 37 players so far and have a decent injury list. There is no quick fix for Carlton. Whatever happens they need patience. Mick has survived 30 odd years coaching because he is strong willed and isnt a shrinking violet. Wouldnt be surprised if he survives this. Will be an interesting meeting when the bye turns up.

Ling made a good point that if Carlton were going thru this with another coach and Mick was in the media, the call would be out for Carlton to go and chase Mick and get him.
The saying 'you can't polish a turd' comes to mind with what Mick is dealing with. Injuries, past recruiting decisions, fitness etc don't make for a happy place. I feel for the man. Still hope we smash them when we play but.

Agree about the smell, disagree about it being a bad thing for Carlton.

Remember how they've just been buying flags for 100 years and pissing all over the smaller clubs. They deserve this spell as a club. They'll eventually snap out of it, but the smaller clubs deserve to catch up, and if that means a generation of Carlton shitness, good news.

For me the best thing about Carlton's general decline is that John Elliot is alive to see this. He was a big deal in the 1980s with his 'Elders IXL' which was one of those 1980's 'corporate cowboy' ponzi rackets, his Presidency of the Liberal Party, he used to encourage people to think he'd become Prime Minister, and his Presidency of the Carlton Football Club. He was, probably still is, loud, obnoxious, self-centred, and just a total spiv. He had some foresight about the VFL's need to go national, but he'd be suffering watching Carlton go through this again and I for one am enjoying his pain.

:footy:

I hear everyone blame Malthouse and the players don't want to play for him but if you ask the old boys at West Coast and Collingwood and they'll tell you it was his player management skills and personal relationships were his real strong point as a coach. He's good tactically and all but his players were notably devoted to him.

So I find it strange that Carlton players don't take to him. I just think the simplest answer is usually the right one. Carlton's players are no good, and that's why they lose. Their kids are terrible. Just haven't got what it takes.

I wouldn't mind taking Levi Casbault and putting him into the Magpies and see what he can do. Don't think I want any of their other players. It's a really weak list. All the bests players there are too old. Judd's their leading light and he's nearly 32.

I did notice Ricciuto egging this scenario on. Campaigner.

Mate you should hear him every morning with his smear campaign. It's pathetic.

We lose 2 in a row and as soon as their show opens at 6am, he puts on an emergency siren and preaches "crisis talks, crisis talks"

He used to be fairly impartial in his commentary regarding us, but now he's a complete campaigner.

We lose 2 in a row and as soon as their show opens at 6am, he puts on an emergency siren and preaches "crisis talks, crisis talks"

He used to be fairly impartial in his commentary regarding us, but now he's a complete campaigner.
Yeah but Kochie wore a Port scarfe on Sunrise once.....

Riccuitos attitude since caro laid the smackdown has been the reaction of going the completely opposite way. Instead of doing what was right and staying humble, he has leaned even further into using his media to berate his direct competitor. This is a bad reflection on his club and himself as a person. I'm alright with it though, because other journalists who have national significance think he is an arrogant buffoon and it only helps our cause of others realising how pissant the crows and the SA media and footballing bodies are.

Just remember he helped establish a crows hall of fame so he could be the first inducted. Guy is a *******.

For me the best thing about Carlton's general decline is that John Elliot is alive to see this. He was a big deal in the 1980s with his 'Elders IXL' which was one of those 1980's 'corporate cowboy' ponzi rackets, his Presidency of the Liberal Party, he used to encourage people to think he'd become Prime Minister, and his Presidency of the Carlton Football Club. He was, probably still is, loud, obnoxious, self-centred, and just a total spiv. He had some foresight about the VFL's need to go national, but he'd be suffering watching Carlton go through this again and I for one am enjoying his pain.

:footy:

I hear everyone blame Malthouse and the players don't want to play for him but if you ask the old boys at West Coast and Collingwood and they'll tell you it was his player management skills and personal relationships were his real strong point as a coach. He's good tactically and all but his players were notably devoted to him.

So I find it strange that Carlton players don't take to him. I just think the simplest answer is usually the right one. Carlton's players are no good, and that's why they lose. Their kids are terrible. Just haven't got what it takes.

I wouldn't mind taking Levi Casbault and putting him into the Magpies and see what he can do. Don't think I want any of their other players. It's a really weak list. All the bests players there are too old. Judd's their leading light and he's nearly 32.

Would have pretty well any of their talls or mids. Not so sure the players are the issue drawing a form line though players who have left the club. I secretly really want Casboult for the laughs if he comes good but don't see the next coach trading him.

All the more reason to barrack for the Giants today!!!

Streak-1r8.jpg

Carlton have now lost 14 games in a row to Geelong at Etihad but have a long way to go to the record of 33 by Collingwood over St Kilda at Victoria Pk.

In fact, Carlton have NEVER beaten Geelong at Etihad. Since Etihad opened Carlton have only beaten Geelong three times, once at Princes Park and twice at the MCG.

As teams from outside of Victoria play at venues all around the country it is less likely they will feature in this kind of streak. We lost our first 9 consecutive games to North Melbourne but our worst streak at one venue to them was five at Etihad.

The worst losing streaks we have to any team at any one venue are 6 to Melbourne at the MCG up to July 2006 and 7 to Geelong at Simonds(unbroken).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back