Demetriou Told in 2005 "You're F..ked if You Don't Join WADA"

Remove this Banner Ad

Akka76

All Australian
Suspended
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Worth a read. Has some good background on the AFL signing up to WADA and also on Govt Funding implications.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...d-up-on-a-journey-to-cas-20150522-gh7bw1.html

A possible shut out of Melbourne-based judges and advocates in a Court of Arbitration for Sport case, probably in Switzerland, where the Essendon 34 will be tried again, raises the question: why does the AFL even belong in WADA?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-quit-wada-says-top-hawk-20150522-gh7hoa.html

"I reckon it's a vexed question and it's not my area of expertise but the thing I would say is, there better be a compelling reason why we are doing it, not just because we don't like the process or the outcome or whatever," Newbold said.

I think not liking the process is quite a compelling reason.

The process is a absolute circus, the process is more of a punishment than any punishment.

Alex Watson springs to mind for pure stupid bloody mindedness from these types of orgs.

The process is a absolute circus, the process is more of a punishment than any punishment.

Alex Watson springs to mind for pure stupid bloody mindedness from these types of orgs.

think the biggest problem in this case was the afl trying to manage the process. they never had a full grasp of the situation and thought they could manage the issue away as the do with many others. had they kept out it would've been done behind closed doors without the media circus.

I have an idea. Out of left field I know - but hear me out, Could be worth a look at.

Why not sign up to the WADA code and regulations like all the other civilised sporting nations around the world, cash in the Government cheques AND - wait for it - run a clean competition based on integrity and honesty. Radical I know, but just a brainstorming idea I had this morning - throw it out there with the rest of the radical concepts - kick it around a bit - put it up the flag pole, throw it out on the porch see if the cat licks it up....

lightbulb-idea-14606269.jpg

if you don't dope you don't have to deal with the process. simple.

if you're going to inject substances into players, use a credible and qualified sports scientist, and ensure you have records of everything taken. don't have 5000 unaccounted for injections and a paper trail suggesting tb4. simple.

if you don't dope you don't have to deal with the process. simple.

if you're going to inject substances into players, use a credible and qualified sports scientist, and ensure you have records of everything taken. don't have 5000 unaccounted for injections and a paper trail suggesting tb4. simple.

Wasn't it 10,000 ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did all the other sports have no issue or difficulty signing up before the deadline?

And further to that, why is it the AFL are the only sporting body that continues to have problems with the WADA code, and their investigative methods? The question is rhetorical because the answer is obvious.

It wasn't such a bad outcome for the AFL considering that, on Demetriou's departure after a decade in charge, he had won $2 billion in public funding for the AFL.

sry, rent seeking for stadia and improved stadium(s) is not 2 billion in public funding. money for NAB Auskick and little league, no way is 2 billion over a decade.

what the money they get from the Aus Sports Commish grants, is just called Australian culcha

sry, rent seeking for stadia and improved stadium(s) is not 2 billion in public funding. money for NAB Auskick and little league, no way is 2 billion over a decade.

what the money they get from the Aus Sports Commish grants, is just called Australian culcha

Depends how you calculate 2bill, if you look at all levels of govt to all levels of football 2 bill might be under estimation

A possible shut out of Melbourne-based judges and advocates in a Court of Arbitration for Sport case, probably in Switzerland, where the Essendon 34 will be tried again, raises the question: why does the AFL even belong in WADA?

It was a question that troubled former AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou when Australian sports were given a June 30, 2005 deadline to become WADA compliant.

The deadline passed with the AFL the only sport not to sign. An emergency meeting was held on July 19, 2005 in the office of then federal sports minister Senator Rod Kemp, in Treasury Place, Melbourne, attended by Demetriou, Kemp, Australian Sports Commission chair Peter Bartels and the AFL's then lawyer, Jeff Browne.

At stake was isolation from the world sports community and loss of government funding. The former was not a major concern. The world's most successful national football code, America's NFL, is not WADA compliant. The Super Bowl winners might call themselves "world champions" but, similar to the AFL which plays hybrid matches with Ireland, the NFL champions do not actually play against a team from any other country.

But funding is a major issue. As the Melbourne meeting reached another impasse, Bartels was desperate to get to the airport to catch a plane to Germany where Australian cyclist Amy Gillett had been killed in a training accident and five of her teammates injured.

Bartels pressured Kemp to rule the AFL in or out.

"The press were next door waiting," Bartels said. "Rod stood up and said, 'I'm going to leave the room now and announce whether you are compliant or not'."

At this point, Browne leaned across to Demetriou and whispered, "You're f---ed." The AFL's long-term lawyer convinced the CEO the AFL could no longer continue in the position it was adopting.

The AFL agreed to become WADA compliant by November 1 that year.

It wasn't such a bad outcome for the AFL considering that, on Demetriou's departure after a decade in charge, he had won $2 billion in public funding for the AFL.

what we have is Demetriou and Browne, not competent to play politics with the big boys, and bowed without any attempt at brinkmanship and getting their ducks in a line to buttress...

they can do sport and sport politics. but they are above their station when they flirt with Canberra, so Demetriou knew that safe-seat he always aspired to, he could not cut it.

And they could have given Kemps the dry from Scotch and Oxford or Cambridge, just the piss in his pocket, and gone back on it. Played him for a senator or sports minister, not inner cabinet.

Now, I dont even put complete stock or credulity, in TheAge or Fairfax article, you can see these Talking Points and trial balloons are getting seeded by the Ian Hanke's of the world.

This article aint coming tabula rasa, its getting filtered and seeded. heads up folks, the messaging and political organisation has started.

what we have is Demetriou and Browne, not competent to play politics with the big boys, and bowed without any attempt at brinkmanship and getting their ducks in a line to buttress...

they can do sport and sport politics. but they are above their station when they flirt with Canberra, so Demetriou knew that safe-seat he always aspired to, he could not cut it.

And they could have given Kemps the dry from Scotch and Oxford or Cambridge, just the piss in his pocket, and gone back on it. Played him for a senator or sports minister, not inner cabinet.

Now, I dont even put complete stock or credulity, in TheAge or Fairfax article, you can see these Talking Points and trial balloons are getting seeded by the Ian Hanke's of the world.

This article aint coming tabula rasa, its getting filtered and seeded. heads up folks, the messaging and political organisation has started.

definitely a narrative taking shape

'At stake was isolation from the world sports community and loss of government funding. The former was not a major concern.'

genius trolling of AFL from Masters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back