Analysis The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Vs St Kilda round 8

Remove this Banner Ad

that's

well I guess I haven't been paying much attention to him this year, His quite an easy player to go under the radar as lets be honest he isn't exactly exciting to watch is he. Maybe I've been too harsh on poor old Butler.
Not too many old butts are exciting to watch but this one is pretty good

Good - The young ones
- Sincliars effort
- Wellers was good

Bad - Saints seemed to have more players on the ground at a lot of stages in 2nd and 3rd term
- bomb long (still don't like this tactic) sucked in second and third and fourth qtrs
- man buns. Srs they can piss off!

I have no idea why everyone is blaming Watson for anything. So fricken touchy.

Considering he spent a great deal of time talking up Yeo and comparing him to Fyfe, i don't think he "has an agenda against him" sheeesh.

Just because Hamish and Basil are imbeciles, they asked his opinion on the hit and he gave it. That's it. Move on already.

DS, agree on his general commentary. BUT ...

He discussed it like it was a major issue. Repeat runs through a fairly innocuous incident. Comparing it to Lewis was stupid and Tims hang up seemed to be that there was an injury. He, like many imbeciles, can't identify that first there has to be an actual crime, then we discuss consequences and he ended up conflating the two.

Yeo was a nano-second late and as such punched rather than marked, as every player since under 8's has been told to do. He went straight where the ball was and a player coming at pace from side on to him copped accidental but reasonable contact in a contest. No issue at all.

But it becomes one when the broadcasters talk about it for 25 minutes

DS, agree on his general commentary. BUT ...

He discussed it like it was a major issue. Repeat runs through a fairly innocuous incident. Comparing it to Lewis was stupid and Tims hang up seemed to be that there was an injury. He, like many imbeciles, can't identify that first there has to be an actual crime, then we discuss consequences and he ended up conflating the two.

Yeo was a nano-second late and as such punched rather than marked, as every player since under 8's has been told to do. He went straight where the ball was and a player coming at pace from side on to him copped accidental but reasonable contact in a contest. No issue at all.

But it becomes one when the broadcasters talk about it for 25 minutes

What else are they going to talk about? Basil and Hamish provide literally nothing in terms of football intelligence and opinion, so that leaves Tim. As i've said, Yeo was part of their pre match discussion, so it only makes sense for them to review his game, which included a reportable hit.

Does it constitute a report? No. Will he miss weeks? No. So what the hell is the big deal? Do people actually think Tim's opinion is going to have any effect whatsoever on the MRP's decision? Because it won't. Tony Shaw the little slimeball and that deadshit Dermott say much stupider things on a regular basis when calling our games. I thought Tim was fine.

What else are they going to talk about? Basil and Hamish provide literally nothing in terms of football intelligence and opinion, so that leaves Tim. As i've said, Yeo was part of their pre match discussion, so it only makes sense for them to review his game, which included a reportable hit.

Does it constitute a report? No. Will he miss weeks? No. So what the hell is the big deal? Do people actually think Tim's opinion is going to have any effect whatsoever on the MRP's decision? Because it won't. Tony Shaw the little slimeball and that deadshit Dermott say much stupider things on a regular basis when calling our games. I thought Tim was fine.

Yep, fair enough. I was fine with his general commentary.

And I think the media can make issues out of non-issues by focusing on it.

That said, Richardson has removed much of the heat by saying the concussion came from the later incident of friendly fire. Unless I've misunderstood that. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was good to get a part game into Selwood. We look better around the clearances with him helping. Clearances still need a lot of work.
Too many times the inside is absorbing tackle turning to place expecting to see a body that just isn't there and then has to start second guessing or doing turns in tackles to find an option. Good sides and good tackles will bring that undone. Will get better as they play together more.
Yeo and Shep keep growing, Duggan looks like he belongs there, interesting to see how he goes with a tag, might be coming sooner rather then later. Gaff still needs to get stronger, both over the footy and when tackling, pushed aside and through too easily.
I would love to experiment with Gov deep forward next year if poss. We have some quality forwards but still no one (other then Yeo at the mo, who we cant afford to have standing around up forward all the time) capable of clunking a mark deep. Nicnat not getting the job done right now and Gov reads and marks so well he could be the option.

Last edited:
It is very frustrating not being able to take a contested grab deep. Sinclair's mark stood out like dogs balls and Yeo is great at it. Kennedy can take a one on one contested but not normally in a pack, he just can't get hands on it. Nicnat gets hands on everything but never holds on. Lecras used to pop in for the odd contested mark by reading it better but he's played a lot more in the middle now.

Positives:
I finally got to seat on the eagles side of the stadium and first floor.
The fact we haven't dropped off after our shock win against Port.

Negatives:
That 2nd quarter.

'Ugly'
Yeo's accidental hit. It look much worse at the game than it did on the replay.

Has been much worse hits in the past few hours and nothing has been said by commentators. Should really be just a fine for Yeo

The main positive for me is the team standing up (eventually) when St Kilda brought the pressure and got right back into the game.

Also, our offensive structures are working a treat, we are generating goals even when we aren't executing our skills the best.

Was stoked when Bennell finally got dragged. Might not see him again for a while if Rosa is good to go next week.

Second quarter effort was shocking. Pretty much everything I feared we would dish up post the Port game. Game day thread is great for letting off steam!

Much love for the Wellers today. That crash through the pack was finally a bit of iron to go with the silk of the last month! Unstoppable :D

Wellernaut.jpg

I don't care if it's Watson, Tony Shaw, or Dunstall.

We've heard much much worse from the commentary team, and i didn't really have a problem with his commentary, he's entitled to an opinion.
I draw the line at Tony Shaw..he is a hopeless. But I do agree Watson was simply honest in his opinion

Not sure you can compare Duggan's uncontested kicks out on the wing to Selwood's contested clearances. Thought he was fine as a sub, albeit expectedly rusty.
What about the several contested possessions Duggan has turned into clearances to advantage over the course of the season?

Let's not pretend Duggan has played entirely outside thus far. He's shown on a few occasions a desire to weigh up the contest and make the best decision for the situation. Hence we have been so excited about him.

The assumption that there is only one appropriate course of action when the ball is in dispute - quickly booting it forward as far as possible - is probably the kind of philosophy our unsuccessful midfield had been built upon over the past 7 years.

FWIW Selwood was great defensively, like always, his smothering and tackling was first rate. But blind clearances aren't something to cheer about these days - they often lead to turnovers which lead to goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back