Review vs West Coast @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, if we want Hickey to be a forward now as well as a ruck he needs to go back and play a few good games as a forward in the VFL. I still worry about him and Longer as a duo, not sure either is a good enough forward option at this stage. Both good ruckman, but one of them needs to progress a fair bit in terms of forward ability.

OUT: Fisher, Hickey
IN: Roo, Delaney

Apologies if I'm intruding, but I just thought I'd come on here to let you know how impressed I was with you guys today.

Didn't get the result you were wanting, but to come back as you did after quarter time was a real credit to you guys. You made us look very slow at times with your quick ball movement. We haven't been dismantled like that in at least the last month.

Sinclair looks an absolute gem, Bruce is going to be a powerhouse when he puts on some weight, and was really impressed with acres when he came on. He is far quicker than I thought. Steven was everywhere.

The result really flattered us in the end, but if you play with the effort and intent you did today, you won't be as disappointed as I'm sure you are today. You are building Very quickly, the results won't be that far away, I'm sure. You've got a good core of young blokes who are leading the club, rather than being reliant on one or two blokes.

Please don't take this as gloating by any means, I genuinely wish you well for the rest of the year. But feel free to tell me where to go!

We need to give Hickey a game as the No 1 ruck with no Longer in the team.

It will give him a chance to show how damaging he can be around the ground.

I say keep Hickey and Longer the way they are.

Both performing just not a great day at the office. Today

Hickey has 23 score involvements in his four games playing his current role and has kicked at least one goal except for today.

Has been performing his role nicely. He is allowed one poor game surely..

I like and hope we stick with the current set up.

Last thing I want to see is us move Bruce out of his current damaging position to pinch hit in the ruck.

Apologies if I'm intruding, but I just thought I'd come on here to let you know how impressed I was with you guys today.

Didn't get the result you were wanting, but to come back as you did after quarter time was a real credit to you guys. You made us look very slow at times with your quick ball movement. We haven't been dismantled like that in at least the last month.

Sinclair looks an absolute gem, Bruce is going to be a powerhouse when he puts on some weight, and was really impressed with acres when he came on. He is far quicker than I thought. Steven was everywhere.

The result really flattered us in the end, but if you play with the effort and intent you did today, you won't be as disappointed as I'm sure you are today. You are building Very quickly, the results won't be that far away, I'm sure. You've got a good core of young blokes who are leading the club, rather than being reliant on one or two blokes.

Please don't take this as gloating by any means, I genuinely wish you well for the rest of the year. But feel free to tell me where to go!
You can't have him :p

Time to get a few games into Goddard, we were too small to start the day & then when Fisher went out, we must have looked like a bunch of Jonesy's dwarfs to the Weagles forwards. We have an improving young forward line, a good young midfield group, what we need is a couple of good strong young defenders getting a few regular games.

Pretty please? :p

Nah- somehow I think after the brown/cripps saga from 2013 our clubs may give each other a wide berth for a while....
Hopefully Liam Duggan refuses to sign an extension & wants to come home at the end of next year. We'll offer you the going rate... What is it again, a pair of 3rd rounders? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Del can't get up for next week chuck Goddard in I'd say. No real key foward presence at Brisbane so it'd be a nice introduction for the lad.
He could be a good match-up for McStay

No. Yeo did a Lewis and punched him in the nose in an attempt to "spoil".

Richo said post game that Webster was concussed after contact with one of our players. That photo is after the Yeo hit (you can see nose plugs) so I'd guess that is the hit Richo was referring to.

Could not watch unfortunately but am going to make this comment anyway based on the stat sheet and what I have seen over the course of the season:

It is time to give Billy Longer an extended run in the 2's. I can't stand this "gives us a contest, or he improves our structure mentality". You still have to provide some input. The same nonsense was sprouted about Kosi. I liked Kosi, but footy had gone past him a long time ago, he could not play the modern game. Bottom line was, his man beat him every single week for at least the last 3 years of his playing career. Maybe I am stupid, but I don't see how that makes us a better side.

The same thing is happening with Longer right now. Every week Longer gets smashed in the hit outs, and walks off the field with under 8 possessions. I am sorry, but what is the point? I know he tries hard, but he just provides nothing around the ground. We can't afford to carry this sort of input. Until he learns to get more of the ball and/or become a threat drifting forward or a valuable defensive player drifting back, it is a complete waste of time playing him.

So what if we have to play Bruce in the ruck for 5 minutes a quarter, this is a much better outcome than carrying a bloke that is providing nothing for a full game. Playing Hickey in the ruck would give us much more around the ground and allow us to bring in a player like Lee who could play forward or back depending on where he is needed most.

Undermanned backline was a problem, but not the killer.
The ball streaming from the centre into their fwdline was.
Umpires didnt help, but WC dominant in taps, centre clearance, also contested possesions/marks.
Probably to do with being a younger/skinnier midfield.
Happy with effort shown. Disposal efficiency was as good as eagles.

Mckenzie reminds me a little of Shents just more talented.loved what we saw of acres has a lot of class shouldn't be sub or play vfl again
DMac, in comparison to Shenton, is much faster, a stronger mark, a better kick, harder, has cleaner hands and more capable in midfield.
Could not watch unfortunately but am going to make this comment anyway based on the stat sheet and what I have seen over the course of the season:

It is time to give Billy Longer an extended run in the 2's. I can't stand this "gives us a contest, or he improves our structure mentality". You still have to provide some input. The same nonsense was sprouted about Kosi. I liked Kosi, but footy had gone past him a long time ago, he could not play the modern game. Bottom line was, his man beat him every single week for at least the last 3 years of his playing career. Maybe I am stupid, but I don't see how that makes us a better side.

The same thing is happening with Longer right now. Every week Longer gets smashed in the hit outs, and walks off the field with under 8 possessions. I am sorry, but what is the point? I know he tries hard, but he just provides nothing around the ground. We can't afford to carry this sort of input. Until he learns to get more of the ball and/or become a threat drifting forward or a valuable defensive player drifting back, it is a complete waste of time playing him.

So what if we have to play Bruce in the ruck for 5 minutes a quarter, this is a much better outcome than carrying a bloke that is providing nothing for a full game. Playing Hickey in the ruck would give us much more around the ground and allow us to bring in a player like Lee who could play forward or back depending on where he is needed most.
So you want to drop Billy, who has actually won a lot of hitouts and has only been in the negative these last couple of weeks because he has come up against maybe the best ruckman in the game in Sam Jacobs, and a former All Australian Nic Nat, and replace him with Tom Hickey, who seriously struggles to win hitouts. Sorry, that makes 0 sense.

As for playing him being a waste of time, why don't we just drop all of our young players? Should bring Clinton Jones back as well, because what is development?

Has anyone paid close attention to Newnes this year?

He seems to be getting less ball. Is he being given a different job? Getting a light tag?

Not as effective as last year in my eyes.
To my eyes Newnes is far too slow to play as an outside midfielder. He is regularly second to the ball in one-on-one contests and either his opponent gets first hands on the ball or Jack gives away a silly free. He does his best work behind the ball getting the handball receive and kicking long, but I'd like to see him add another string to his bow and develop his inside game. He is a beautiful kick, he has a great attitude and has a terrific work ethic so I hope he can find his niche. I'm just not sure where that will be at this early stage.

DMac, in comparison to Shenton, is much faster, a stronger mark, a better kick, harder, has cleaner hands and more capable in midfield.

So you want to drop Billy, who has actually won a lot of hitouts and has only been in the negative these last couple of weeks because he has come up against maybe the best ruckman in the game in Sam Jacobs, and a former All Australian Nic Nat, and replace him with Tom Hickey, who seriously struggles to win hitouts. Sorry, that makes 0 sense.

As for playing him being a waste of time, why don't we just drop all of our young players? Should bring Clinton Jones back as well, because what is development?

Irrational comment, nobody is saying development isn't important. Do you not think Longer will get development playing in the 2's? He needs to learn to do more around the ground, playing in the 2's might give him the opportunity to work on this. Right now he is certainly not addressing his major weakness in the seniors. The last 4 weeks he has had 4,9,6 & 6 possessions, whilst his opponents have been very effective. Not sure why you think dropping somebody who continues to lose their position makes 0 sense?

Also, we have other young players such as Lee, Minchington & Acres that are shipped back to the 2's instantly after a quiet game. What about their development? Or do you think this is a special privilege reserved for Longer only?

We also have Riewoldt to come back in. We can move Membrey back to the 2's or we can leave him in and move Hickey to the number 1 ruck role, with Longer going back to the 2's. Seeing as you think dropping someone on their actual form makes 0 sense, whose "development" would you rather sacrifice?

Given his less that perfect fitness when he came back for the preseason, I'd be questioning Longer's fitness and endurance to be honest.

But yeah, dropping him for a few weeks won't hurt him at this stage of our development.

The same argument can be applied to Hickey...

How is he supposed to develop his tap work playing at Full forward? Or do we drop him to Sandy?

Giving Longer a spell, playing Hickey first ruck, and bringing in a confident Lee makes sense to me.

Never replaced Geary

Didn't replace Del.

Its weird.

Don't we have defined roles and simply change personnel?

In Roo Gears Del Goddard
Out Longer Shenton ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back