Analysis Good Bad and Ugly V GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Pressuring the gws players was always the key to today. Unfortunately we didn't manage it for enough of the game. Too many of ou. 1st choice midfield out & we don't have the depth yet.

Agree, we needed to win the stoppages if we had any chance. Got slaughtered in the centre. Mumford's game was excellent he absolutely gave their players first use. Sauce was unable to adjust and our set up seemed unbalanced .
Too many taps in the centre went to a GWS player heading straight to goal unimpeded.
This was one game where I did think Jenkins ruck work did nullify Mummy a touch.

I wondered as the game went on why didn't we throw in that extra ruck. Keep rotating them at Mummy and make him work harder.
He most probably would have monstered an inexperienced O'Brien but we needed a different look at times.
Give Walsh credit he does make adjustments but sometimes you need the right players in the squad.
O'Brien has played junior football in defence and maybe he could have helped back down there and Sauce could have rested up forward, then rotated in to the centre. Who knows?
Our lack of size is really limiting our options all over the field.

The counter argument is the GWS is a running side so we needed 'runners' but they got so much first use of the ball, perhaps we needed to stop that first.

You're right Kane our lack of depth is being found out.

In addition less experienced players often need good experienced players around them.

Missing Dougie, Sloane and Smith is telling. Even, dare I say it Jaensch.
Can't underestimate Jaenschy being out. I was never a huge fan until halfway through last year. I'll go as far to say that if Jaensch was playing yesterday, GWS wouldn't have got their run-on when Laird went down. We had nobody cutting off the forward entries like Laird was doing, and this is where Jaensch's game had gone up a couple of levels. We already miss him badly.

"Hurry up ump, wave the flags. Wave the bloody flags!!!"

I'm actually quite curious about this - is anyone here able to access the stats for scores from a kick-in?

I'd love to know where we rank.

Watching the replay again now - that first quarter, I think it was half laziness but primarily poor discipline; we didn't have our zone working at all, free space everywhere.

Walshy talks about ELITE STANDARDS as a mantra - well, it's time to start enforcing them.

At the moment we are poorly drilled and poorly structured; and our ability to enact either of them is woeful.

I'd be happy to concede some wins this season, provided we do so to implement these elite standards are set the us up for next year.

It's almost like you just accept how they've got there, doesn't it piss you off as a general AFL supporter?

I do accept how they've gotten there, I don't think there's much to be gained doing anything else. I'm as pissed off as I was that Geelong had such a massive leg up by having a few high quality father sons hit at the same time. Whether GWS cashes in with 3 flags remains to be seen. I suppose that I've been conditioned these last few years to not value draft picks.

Just a thought here, Adelaide have had a drafting policy of best available over the last 5 to 8 years ( probably not much different to most clubs) that has led to a plethora of similar players being recruited. This seemed to result in players of the same strengths but not enough complementary strengthed players. Last year this seemed to change to best available for areas of need with an acceptance that these players will have flaws in other areas. Hawthorn have been doing this for years.

Coupled with being hit by expansion club recruiting, which should have been limited by the AFL, lack of development by drafted/traded tallls, two previously rigid systems that ignored the importance of learning on the job and some draft penalties has resulted in a perfect storm where the Crows have an adequate side but one that will struggle to compete at the pointy end. Certainly everything I've heard about the new administration from people relatively closely connected leads me to believe that the era of being on a list for 4plus years with minimal game exposure has ended, that training standards and variety have increased and that aggressive trading will occur or be attempted. It wouldn't surprise me if a Port style cull (circa 2009/2010 or thereabouts) is being undertaken.

Being Adelaide based, I hope the Crows do well (especially as a. Norwood supporter who really doesn't like Port).

Our drafting has been excellent.

Being raided and pillaged by the expansion Clubs (and Hawthorn) is one of the main problems, but the obvious issue has been the absolutely disproportionate sanctions we got for the Tippett s**t.

Two years where we ended up pretty poorly on the ladder, and we miss the draft picks.

Add two first rounders to our team that we lost as a penalty.
Add two second rounders to our team that we lost as a penalty.

Add another first rounder that we should have received for Tippett.
Add another second rounder that we should have received for Tippett.

Realistically, at present, we have the list to be a top six team; whether it's good enough to be top four - I don't know... But if we actually had the above, add 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders - we sure as hell would be.

Seriously, the damage that ******* a-hole Trigg (and that *head Chapman) has done to our Club is massively understated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our drafting has been excellent.

Being raided and pillaged by the expansion Clubs (and Hawthorn) is one of the main problems, but the obvious issue has been the absolutely disproportionate sanctions we got for the Tippett s**t.

Two years where we ended up pretty poorly on the ladder, and we miss the draft picks.

Add two first rounders to our team that we lost as a penalty.
Add two second rounders to our team that we lost as a penalty.

Add another first rounder that we should have received for Tippett.
Add another second rounder that we should have received for Tippett.

Realistically, at present, we have the list to be a top six team; whether it's good enough to be top four - I don't know... But if we actually had the above, add 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders - we sure as hell would be.

Seriously, the damage that ******* a-hole Trigg (and that ****head Chapman) has done to our Club is massively understated.
As I've said many times re Trigg, if you pulled that sh!t in the corporate world (back door deals) you would be risking jail time. You can go to jail for fraud and misleading and deceptive conduct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given what Melbourne got for tanking, and what Essendon got for drugs, our punishment seems ridiculously harsh. It's kind of funny considering how everybody on the main board said we made out like bandits. :rolleyes:

We got absolutely ****ed, and nobody will ever convince me that Trigg/Chapman didn't accept what they knew were overly excessive penalties to save their own useless arses. Not only that, I believe they threw Harper under the bus to try and reduce the damage to themselves.

The moment it all came out, they should've stood down and we should've had Bill Sanders or Wayne Jackson step in to try and work through the issue and mitigate the damage to our Club.

And it should've been easy - directing sponsorship money to players? Everyone does it. Agreeing to work with a player to get them home if they decide to leave? Everyone does it.

It's just another example of what a disgrace Trigg/Chapman were; they had numerous opportunities to solve the problem, but they were too stupid to take them. The arrogance and stupidity to then be responsible for negotiating our penalties with the AFL when they were directly responsible for the damage, and had a conflict of interest as they were negotiating for themselves as well...

It's an absolute disgrace.

Last edited:
We got absolutely stuffed, and nobody will ever convince me that Trigg/Chapman didn't accept what they knew were overly excessive penalties to save their own useless arses.

The moment it all came out, they should've stood down and we should've had Bill Sanders or Wayne Jackson step in to try and work through the issue and mitigate the damage to our Club.
Amen!

We got absolutely stuffed, and nobody will ever convince me that Trigg/Chapman didn't accept what they knew were overly excessive penalties to save their own useless arses.

I don't think many crows fans realise the damage these two arseholes have done.

We can forget a flag in the next decade. [edit: our only saving grace is free agency. We should actually be pushing for completely open free agency to diminish the value of draft picks]

I don't think many crows fans realise the damage these two arseholes have done.

We can forget a flag in the next decade. [edit: our only saving grace is free agency. We should actually be pushing for completely open free agency to diminish the value of draft picks]

Chapman is still there. The club needs to be rid of him. I'd also get rid of anybody else on the board who was there when the Tippet scandal took place.

Basically Fagan/Roo can stay, everybody else can * off.

We got absolutely stuffed, and nobody will ever convince me that Trigg/Chapman didn't accept what they knew were overly excessive penalties to save their own useless arses. Not only that, I believe they threw Harper under the bus to try and reduce the damage to themselves.

And it should've been easy - directing sponsorship money to players? Everyone does it. Agreeing to work with a player to get them home if they decide to leave? Everyone does it.

It's just another example of what a disgrace Trigg/Chapman were; they had numerous opportunities to solve the problem, but they were too stupid to take them. The arrogance and stupidity to then be responsible for negotiating our penalties with the AFL when they were directly responsible for the damage, and had a conflict of interest as they were negotiating for themselves as well...

It's an absolute disgrace.
Very accurate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chapman is still there. The club needs to be rid of him. I'd also get rid of anybody else on the board who was there when the Tippet scandal took place.

Basically Fagan/Roo can stay, everybody else can **** off.

Half of the board are Chapman plants anyway.

They have to be, because he's crap (ask around within the Adelaide business community), and he needs his mates there to protect him.

Notice how invisible he's become since the change of admin has commenced?

Correct it was all about saving their asses.Management knew about the Tippett situation for seasons.
They also jumped at shadows. I'm fairly sure we,Trigg and Chapman volunteered those penalties. They tried to out manoeuvre the AFL (a seemingly regular pattern under that regime) by getting on the front foot and dumping it onto ourselves.
Melb and Essendon committed worst indiscretions IMO and looked what happened there. Melb got a compensation pick 3 for Frawley !

"The moment it all came out, they should've stood down and we should've had Bill Sanders or Wayne Jackson step in to try and work through the issue and mitigate the damage to our Club."

This is so true,they should have stepped aside and let someone untainted fight the battle. The AFL really didn't want another Carlton dilemma where those severe sanctions in hindsight were the beginning of the Carlton's demise. (Not arguing they didn't deserve them.)
With a skilled negotiator like Jackson I'm sure we would have copped less. To actually volunteer them???
This is why until Chapman goes I won't be happy with our set up. It mightn't change a thing but having him at the helm is plain wrong.

Good - Lever is an inspired draft pick will be a beauty, we play Carlton in two weeks
Bad - we play Freo next week, Cheney is a list clogger
Ugly - GWS have upcoming guns playing reserves, an AFL built (and funded) juggernaught for the next decade :-(

The 'don't be critical of our performance' brigade - have not answered this very simple question.

We won the game over the last 110 minutes. We matched the talented youngsters of GWS.

It was the first 10 minutes where they absolutely blitzed us. Once again - 9 scoring shots for 34 points before we had even brought the ball into our own 50. This 10 minute period had absolutely nothing to do with talent. This was all desire and being harder at the football.

This game was lost by the players poor start. This was a massive issue in 2013/2014 and remains a very big issue in 2015. Our poor starts are a reflection on both the playing group and the coaching group.

I understand your point but it is way to simplistic to make the game about the first 10 minutes, the third quarter was just as important in our loss, we had got it back to single figures only to be blown out of the water again. Calling the game on the basis of the first 10 minutes and trying to rectify that ignores the very real possibility that yesterday, the GWS had an extra gear to go to, when it was needed. On the basis of us matching the first 10 minutes and the personnel we had on the field we still would have come up 4 goals short.

The slow start is indeed an issue and one the players and coaching group needs to turn around but the talent and capabilities of players we can put on the park at the moment isn't going to cut it against the best teams who will cut our press to bits with run and carry whilst we have so much pace on the sidelines, a trait we don't have enough of to be leaving out.

Half of the board are Chapman plants anyway.

They have to be, because he's crap (ask around within the Adelaide business community), and he needs his mates there to protect him.

Notice how invisible he's become since the change of admin has commenced?
Because he was doing triggs job until it was filled.

I ******* hate how many concessions GWS have been given, it's an absolute rort. We are basically playing an AFL manufactured side...........

It sickens me how the media go on about their massive turnaround! Of course that's gonna ******* happen when you have over 20 first round picks in your squad, and can trade out a former number one pick for a gun mid without even blinking an eyelid.

Not correct by half. GWS can field a full side of top 10 draft picks. We have two (counting Crouch) top 10 draft picks in our side, that means we're 20 top 10 picks short of GWS! They will get another two top ten picks this year too, Hopper and Kennedy from the Riverina

You reckon the AFL has created a monster? What's more their squad size and expanded salary cap continue until 2019! Other clubs have no hope of matching this. Top 10 picks running around in the reserves - sheesh!

7 footy show - commenting that giants kicked 12 goals from our turnovers... the poor ball disposal has to be eliminated.

you don't need to tackle well if you get the pill (which we did) and don't give it back (which we didn't).

Our injury list caught up with us today.

Also, I have no idea why, but we are not the same side since Thommo came in for the Melbourne game. We seem so much slower, messier, lazier, more panicked and structureless compared to the North and Collingwood games.

VB and Wright costly again.
I reckon we drop Wright and play Thommo up forward when we get a couple of our mids back from injury.

On reflection, Im actually happy that GWS have come on this year. The more non Victorian clubs doing well, the more pressure goes on the Vic clubs to consolidate.

Until we see a reduction of the comp to 16 teams - by mergers in the Vic club world - the comp wont be "elite". The spread of talent is too thin, and the perennial propping up of clubs like the Saints and the Roos continues to be a financial drain.

The sad part is, it's going to make AFL less watchable for a large number of people for quite a long time. But we will end up with an even, national comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back