UFC 187 @ The MGM - DC v Johnson & Weidman V Belfort

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, DC was right that Rumble hasn't changed a bit. Survive the early onslaught and he breaks. He just gave up and I loved it. He wanted to give up after the 2nd round. Great to see someone who's worked so hard and gone through tough situations get this result. Great to see it all pay off for DC.

Weidman is ridiculous. Didn't phase him at all that Belfort was throwing everything he had at him and he was landing them too. That's all Belfort had though. Once he couldn't get Weidman out of there early he was done. Easy takedown, easy pass to mount and then it was just a matter of time before it was over. I think Weidman was very happy to finish that by strikes rather than by submission.

What a card, easily one of the best in a while.

Benavidez v Makovsky was fun.
Arlovski v Browne had to be one of the best rounds of the year, i think Rogan may have said the greatest round ever on the broadcast, he is prone to hyperbole
Cerrone v Makdessi. Time out for a broken jaw, obviously Cerrone was awesome but Makdessi should get alot of kudos
Weidman v Belfort, if youre still sleeping on Weidman youre a fool
Cormier v Johnson. Well done DC just outworked Rumble, good call out too! If Bones comes back to DC still holding the belt it could be as big a build up as Conor v Jose.

Lol, DC was right that Rumble hasn't changed a bit. Survive the early onslaught and he breaks. He just gave up and I loved it. He wanted to give up after the 2nd round. Great to see someone who's worked so hard and gone through tough situations get this result. Great to see it all pay off for DC.

Weidman is ridiculous. Didn't phase him at all that Belfort was throwing everything he had at him and he was landing them too. That's all Belfort had though. Once he couldn't get Weidman out of there early he was done. Easy takedown, easy pass to mount and then it was just a matter of time before it was over. I think Weidman was very happy to finish that by strikes rather than by submission.
You could see he wanted an out after the 2nd round. Pretty damning when your coach tells you to "man up" and "don't give up". His cardio is carwin-esque.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing that woman beater get pummeled.

Weidman's best asset is his coolness in the cage, nothing seems to throw him off, mentally tough as * (as well as physically). Missed the card due to family function which is all kinds of messed up, will have to catch a replay but sounds like it's a fair cracker.

I did see the prelims earlier, was that one of the most deliberate nut shots at the start of the Uriah fight? And I thought he won that 29-28, pretty stiff I reckon.

What a great card!

Every fight was entertaining. The Browne vs Arlovski was the single greatest round I've ever seen. (I've only started following UFC late last year). Cowboy was pretty comprehensive in his fight, never looked troubled but that was to be expected. His leg kicks are things of beauty.
DeafeningUnripeFirebelliedtoad.gif

Weidman vs Belfort a bit of a let down though. After that take down, it was all over red rover. It might be an incorrect stereotype but I swear Brazilians have the worst wrestling.

The DC and Rumble fight was awesome from the perspective of a DC fan. I thought there was no way DC would have taken those bombs but he showed he has an iron chin. Rumble was pretty weak I reckon; you could see he was a broken man when his corner man kept trying to rev him up.

(Excuse my simplistic or ignorant opinions, only just new to the sport.)

Really can't recall a fighter outwardly appearing more mentally "broken" during a fight than Johnson did at the end of the 2nd round against Cormier. Really thought he was about to burst into tears and throw in the towel in in frustration.

Pretty classy move for Rumble to award DC the belt after the fight, though. It was never his to "lose" in the first place, but it was to see that kind of respect, sportsmanship and humility still there after a humiliating loss, and all the bad blood that surrounded DC's last fight with Jon Jones.

That being said, I loved DC's victory "speech", too :D

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uurghh.. DC is turning into a right bellend. The Bader quip was downright smug.Not only that but I couldn't be less interested in a DC Bader title fight... Snorefest. Gus vs DC pls.

Surely Gus can't be considered for a title fight considering that he just got KO'd badly by the guy DC dominated. Bader's probably not the best candidate, but he's got a decent streak going and now there's some heat behind the fight. He's also got good enough wrestling and power in his hands to potentially make it interesting with DC.

Lol, DC was right that Rumble hasn't changed a bit. Survive the early onslaught and he breaks.

100% this. I said to my mate who was watching with me at the time (not a fan) that Rumble was looking for a way out. He was in on a low single in the third round which he pretty much just let go of so that Cormier could transition to his back. I said he'll be tapping within 30 seconds and he was. I was expecting a better fight particularly with the way Johnson had handled the wrestling of Davis in their fight, but Cormier flat out destroyed him.

Weidman breaking Vitor was no surprise to me, but I didn't expect it to be that quick. Vitor's takedown defense and then his defense on the ground was dreadful. Weidman's exceptionally good, but there's no way known he should have been able to transition that easily to mount! For Belfort to then just give up his back, roll in to mount and try to punch with Weidman while mounted was ridiculous. Very disappointed in his performance on the whole. Weidman though, I've been on his bandwagon for a long time and he not only showed how dominant he is but also showed how tough he is too. Belfort lit him up early on, but he weathered the storm briliantly and unleashed hell on him for it. Super impressive!

Loved the Arlovski/Browne fight and though we were in for a repeat of the Browne/Overeem fight when he dropped Andrei. Honestly, I though Andrei looked a bit stiff (which was likely due to the calf issue referenced post fight) but his punches were landing at will and his power looked as good as ever. He's put himself in the conversation now for a big fight and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in with Miocic next with a view to the winner of that challenging for the belt.

Surely Gus can't be considered for a title fight considering that he just got KO'd badly by the guy DC dominated. Bader's probably not the best candidate, but he's got a decent streak going and now there's some heat behind the fight. He's also got good enough wrestling and power in his hands to potentially make it interesting with DC.
Meh, i'm not sold on the whole "he lost recently so he needs a win first" mentality. At the end of the day, 2 things that should be noted are:
1) How did DC's last fight go?
2) Where is Gus ranked in the grand scheme of things in relation to Bader?

I'm just interested to see how DC would go with Gus as a JBJ clone in terms of height, reach, range etc. Gus also took Jones down a number of times early in their fight whereas DC struggled to take Jones down - just playing devils advocate here, but I think it'd be a much more exciting fight than a grappling match where neither are likely to get submitted in a hurry, unlike Rumble - as Bader at least has a tank.

I thought Johnson had the fight after the first round when Johnson was defending the take down well, but Cormier was like a rabid dog in his face, pressuring at being unrelenting. Have to credit DC too, he knew what he needed to do, he knew it meant he was gonna get hit and he did it anyway. No one likes getting hit but those who can accept it and deal with it are always good to watch fight.

As for Gus v DC next, its a tough one. Gus did just get beat by Johnson, hasnt earned a title shot etc. having said all that who else is there? the rankings show

DC
Johnson
Gus
Evans
Bader
Tex

Johnson just got beaten, Evans and Texeira are injured (i believe) so you have Gus or Bader. Given Bader was originally scheduled to fight DC he seems like a more logical choice than a guy coming off a loss to the last challenger. I think either guy would be a fair decision.

Meh, i'm not sold on the whole "he lost recently so he needs a win first" mentality. At the end of the day, 2 things that should be noted are:
1) How did DC's last fight go?
2) Where is Gus ranked in the grand scheme of things in relation to Bader?

I'm just interested to see how DC would go with Gus as a JBJ clone in terms of height, reach, range etc. Gus also took Jones down a number of times early in their fight whereas DC struggled to take Jones down - just playing devils advocate here, but I think it'd be a much more exciting fight than a grappling match where neither are likely to get submitted in a hurry, unlike Rumble - as Bader at least has a tank.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you that Gus vs DC is a better match up, I just don't think the UFC can justify it with Gus coming off a first round KO loss. Bader's best likely doesn't get him a win over DC, but Gus with his range and footwork could well be able to keep DC off him long enough to either win a decision or knock him out.

I thought Johnson had the fight after the first round when Johnson was defending the take down well, but Cormier was like a rabid dog in his face, pressuring at being unrelenting. Have to credit DC too, he knew what he needed to do, he knew it meant he was gonna get hit and he did it anyway. No one likes getting hit but those who can accept it and deal with it are always good to watch fight.

As for Gus v DC next, its a tough one. Gus did just get beat by Johnson, hasnt earned a title shot etc. having said all that who else is there? the rankings show

DC
Johnson
Gus
Evans
Bader
Tex

Johnson just got beaten, Evans and Texeira are injured (i believe) so you have Gus or Bader. Given Bader was originally scheduled to fight DC he seems like a more logical choice than a guy coming off a loss to the last challenger. I think either guy would be a fair decision.

Teixeira just had a fight booked, didn't he? Coming off 2 losses, it's safe to count him out. Evans has been out a long time, so he's out. The only two guys I can think of that are on winning runs and are currently in the top 10 are Bader and OSP. Based on that, Bader's the choice I'd have to say.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you that Gus vs DC is a better match up, I just don't think the UFC can justify it with Gus coming off a first round KO loss. Bader's best likely doesn't get him a win over DC, but Gus with his range and footwork could well be able to keep DC off him long enough to either win a decision or knock him out.
Fair call. One thing I think we can all agree on is that the LHW division looks pretty thin once Jones is out of the picture and with a few injuries in the top 10. Guys like OSP & Manuwa, Jan Blakky have a real chance to step up and fill the void. Maybe add Cummings? to that list too if he can close the gap between his wrestling and his stand up.

Give him Gus. Styles make fights & I think this is a great fight. Only thing that beat Gus was power, he didn't think that Johnson could hit so hard & was reckless, which cost him the fight. I'd love those two to fight again also.

Bader is a DC 'Light'. If he can take Johnson's power he can handle anything Bader has.

Personally think the undercard to the 2 main events fights stole the night. Weidman dismantled Vitor with ease in the end and Rumble cant handle anything out of the 1st round. I expected alot more....thats all im saying.

DC's call out was one of the best things I have ever seen in the Octagon....!!

Personally think the undercard to the 2 main events fights stole the night. Weidman dismantled Vitor with ease in the end and Rumble cant handle anything out of the 1st round. I expected alot more....thats all im saying.

DC's call out was one of the best things I have ever seen in the Octagon....!!

I assume you mean the main card not main events (ie. Cerrone, Arlovski and Benavidez) cause the undercard was okay at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back