Autopsy Hawks vs Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

For what it's worth I don't see 4-4 as bad as it is made out to be. It's a very early possibility that we may Have Fremantle and Sydney finish 1 and 2 but it's wide open from there. We have GC and StKilda before the bye so we really should be 6-4.

GWS look great but they will fall away as the season goes along. West Coast are out in front but they will also level out in the back end of the draw.

Overall we are likely looking at an away QF but we should still get there comfortably.

We have the following left to play:
Power at Etihad
Swans in Sydney
Weakles in Perth
Freo in Tassie.

Aside from that, we have:
Geelong, Lions, Carlton twice, Lions, Richmond, Adelaide, collingwood, suns, saints and essendon

If we even play moderately ok (i.e. on par with how we've underperformed so far) I can't see us being any worse than 15/7-14/8.

Which based on the way the year is going will be 4-6th on the ladder.

Again, this is basically worst case scenario failing a bunch of injuries/suspensions.

If we show even a 5% improvement overall and manage 17/5 we can pen ourselves down for top 4, perhaps even top 2.

We seem to be taking a lot of marks 55 to 60 metres out, which makes scoring difficult.

Do you know what's harder than kicking goals from 55m out? Kicking goals when the other team have possession because you've just turned the ball over.

What those few quotes? Least I didn't get on here and bag Mitchell dho has been hammered from pillar to post with little support.. He's been an out and out champion of this club I have more respect for him as a player than I did for s player from he past like Crawf.. And Crawf was a champion but nobody will ever replace Mitchell yet... I see posts saying he's past it and nothing like he was even six months ago.FFS he hasn't got support out there.and my few quotes are "DISTURBING "*in hell........................
As Gordon Ramsay says "well * me".

Agreed.
Bagging Mitchell is like saying "Death Cult" 50 times just before the budget. Its a nice deflection from the real issues.
Sam Mitchell is the heartbeat of this football club and unlike some other "leaders", leads from the front more often than not!
Was clearly BOG last night, yet still gets bagged. :drunk:
And I get shot down for saying having suckling and shoemakers in the side you'll never win... That's disturbing apparently Maine hawk ...At least I don't bag an out and out champion who is the bravest footy player out there who's had such little support this year.i reckon that's pretty low and disturbing.Mitch deserves more than that:(

Fair call, booing people because of racial issues is pretty ordinary and should prob be left out of proceedings, having said that at the end of the day it's footy and you can boo whoever you want, when you want.

To be perfectly hones,t for me Goodes personifies the $wans franchise and everything that is wrong with it.

Last year he was booed for a whole host of reasons AOTY, diving sniper etc., but the media played the race card, and this is where I think it went down hill. It had the opposite effect that the AFL run media desired, it became a game for Hawks fans. I booed him at the GF, but I was surprised that he was booed so loudly last night, I think it has run its course, it is tiresome now. It was finished when he was disgraced in the GF last year.

Goodes used to be my favourite non Hawk player when he won his first brownlow in 03 (IIRC) but he has done a lot of dirty things and gets away with it every time. In fact there was a period there were he was constant let off indiscretions because of his 'good record' which he was able to maintain because he was constantly let off (bravo AFL). A few $wans fans have tried to turn it onto Hodge and Lewis but I don't ever remember them doing something dirty and ever getting away with it. They always get weeks, $wans always get off. Case in point is when Goodes deliberately stuck his leg out into Gibbo. That wasn't even a free kick! Lewis and Hodge both got done for 'potential to cause injury', Goodes DID injury Gibson with a deliberate illegal action and it wasn't even a free.

Still doesn't stack up in my eyes. It's not like Lloyd was booed throughout his career. He was much more of a cheat and dirty mongrel. Furthermore I've only heard Goodes being booded by Hawthorn supporters - which makes me even more baffled. Though with that said, i do find it amusing. It's not too dissimilar to Neville Bruns* being booed. It didn't make entire sense, but just felt right.

*though it was a dog act dobbing Lethal out at tribunal, fact remains he did get his jaw broken behind play.
Lloyd was booed by all supporter bases, as is Goodes.

We have the following left to play:
Power at Etihad
Swans in Sydney
Weakles in Perth
Freo in Tassie.

Aside from that, we have:
Geelong, Lions, Carlton twice, Lions, Richmond, Adelaide, collingwood, suns, saints and essendon

If we even play moderately ok (i.e. on par with how we've underperformed so far) I can't see us being any worse than 15/7-14/8.

Which based on the way the year is going will be 4-6th on the ladder.

Again, this is basically worst case scenario failing a bunch of injuries/suspensions.

If we show even a 5% improvement overall and manage 17/5 we can pen ourselves down for top 4, perhaps even top 2.

Adelaide, Richmond and Geelong are all danger games

fair enough, but difference is there's not 50,000 others joining you in a chorus of booing - so there's no comparison.

Look, I tend to agree with you.
I may be booing someone I think is a sniper, but those joining me may be expressing more ugly views.

If it mitigates, my loudest boos are for any *Essendon Drug Cheat.

I am not worried in the slightest. West Coast will drop out. GWS will fade in the second half of the season. Adelaide, Pies, Western Bulldogs are all making up the numbers in the 8. Freo are in pole position and have set up their season. Spots 2,3,4 are still up for grabs imo. Every other team in the 8 could win or drop unexpected games.

Spot on. This is a season where we play the runaway faves, Freo, only once (in Tassie), and play Carlton (giggle) twice. Top 4 is easily within reach, but I'd expect to travel. Ah freak it, no one ever said a three-peat would be easy, did they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't undersatnd the booing goodes gets either. Why are people just booing him? They should be pointing their fingers at him outing him as the racist he is. They should be taking snide little sniping jabs at him in the car park so he knows how these things feel from the other end. They should be doing alll these things instead of just booing.

I can understand that our forward 50 is being clogged up. Ok...
but being beaten on the slingshot...does that mean the team is not working hard enough to run defensively?

What is happening tactically with our first quarters?
Is hunger an issue if they are fighting their way back into matches?
And why are we giving away match winning leads? *, gws and now sydney : we were in front and those games should all have been put away and iced towards the end.

Can someone logically explain how the better opposition teams are breaking us down?

I can take losing to Swans, they're a good team. But we are playing well below our capacities and I'd love to know what is really happening.

Our forwardline is flooded because we are running the ball around the boundary line and never using the corridor.
Smith and Hill look good doing it but its giving the opposition time to flood back.
Then when the inevitable rebound happens our gut runners are spent and our slower inside midfielders are caught out.
Gameplan needs adjustment big time ...
Teams know we just don't use the corridor and are loving it

Regarding Mitchell, my view is that he's not the player he was last season. He used to be impeccable with his decision-making, but this season he has started to look a little mortal. He's starting to miss targets which is highly uncharacteristic of him. People read too much into what I've written and what others have written about Mitchell. It's not "bagging" him; it's pointing out that there is room for improvement.

I can understand that our forward 50 is being clogged up. Ok...
but being beaten on the slingshot...does that mean the team is not working hard enough to run defensively?

What is happening tactically with our first quarters?
Is hunger an issue if they are fighting their way back into matches?
And why are we giving away match winning leads? *, gws and now sydney : we were in front and those games should all have been put away and iced towards the end.

Can someone logically explain how the better opposition teams are breaking us down?

I can take losing to Swans, they're a good team. But we are playing well below our capacities and I'd love to know what is really happening.

This might make some sense

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...amount-to-something-more-20150524-gh8izy.html

Thanks for that,
I just had a listen to Robert Shaw and Mark Fine on the SEN website (audio page) dissect the game. Excellent insights I thought.
Seems like it was a pretty complex game tactically. McGlynn on top of Mitchell early, Mitchell goes back to HB in the middle stages and he and Rioli get us back into the game and then their Mitchell went onto ours and held him to 3 last quarter touches.
Also McVeigh going forward seemed to be the move that had most effect towards the end.

Seems like the common consensus was that Duryea should have played for Suckling , Hartung should have started.
With Hodge to come in, Suckling could find himself on the edges , and most likely to be dropped if everyone else is fit (Birch, Lake?).

Still, those lapses are killing us. Its gotta be a lack of killer hunger. Clarkson's big challenge ahead is to find ways to motivate them early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back