R8: Port v Richmond review

Remove this Banner Ad

Very important that we begin to see some change and nuance to our game in the coming weeks, instead of stubbornly sticking to our be brave, and if you fail, be braver/stupider philosophy. We desperately need a tactical win, big or small, that allows us to free up our best players to do what they do best. Probably could do with a Moore or Ah Chee setting blocks inside.

Hombsch winning the B&F by a mile at this point.

Didn't believe it was humanly possible to play worse than last week - I was wrong.
What a rabble.

Skills level non existent - was it four consecutive oob's on the full in the 3rd quarter?

Ended up pissing myself with laughter at the turnovers - thin we set a world record tonite!

Hammer winding up for an eighty metre barrell - and kicks into the back of his team mate 5 metres away :D
Missing set shots 15 metres out straight in front :D:D
I could go on, but I'm not a masochist.

Ken not immune - leaving Bobby on Reevolt all night. What was he thinking. Bobby 5 metres behind all night.

Best:

Hombsch - fantatsic
Hoff - close to best
daylight
daylight
daylight
Ryder - mention for effort

+ 19 witches hats. Forget stats - Boal, Gray, Hammer, Chad, etc dot touches but turned 95% of them over. Zero effect in a positieve way.

Lobbe - SANFL and leave Paddy as sole ruck. See if Lobbe can out mark 185cm guys in the SNAFL cos he can't do it in the big league.

Please learn to kick.
5-13 (plus a few out on the fulls) ain't gonna win games.

Not to mention our awful foot skills in general play.
Why wasn't Lobbe shepherding out Maric when Ryder had a kick from a way out? Original decision was point and the replay was inconclusive.

And a 13-6 centre clearance advantage led to one extra goal for us. Again highlighting our pretty terrible forward set-up. We had periods like this in both 2013 and 2014. But this one looks a bit more of a worry as teams are looking as if they have worked us out.

Last edited:
We have been totally found out.

Instead of pressing the teams we play just drop back and play a zone and we have no plan B. Gone is our ability to play on and get it to the loose man on the overlap. What's interesting is we still try and play on frantically, even in the back half, seemingly oblivious to the tactics of the other team.

Might still make the 8 but can't see us correcting our game plan enough to be relevant again before 2016.

Richmond roughed us up early and we sulked. It was obvious 5 minutes in they were going to win because we played like scared little schoolboys.

Never mind we will have an honest appraisal during the week, draw a line in the sand and get beaten up again.

I don't know if we're overtrained but we are looking like the easily intimidated group of Burgess's last reign.

When Ken came on board I expected a big powerful side like the Geelong sides he worked with and even the Gold Coast side who hit the gym hard. But that's not what I'm seeing now.

Ah * it I said all this last week ... rinse and repeat.

Same old story. Hunter v hunted. Teams know we are dangerous with time and space so they push numbers back and don't allow us any easy ball in our front half. Teams see us as a threat so they bring their A game with pressure and intensity. Teams have gone to school on us and realised that taking us on in a real game of football is folly and that defending us is the key with any half decent score generated from counter attack being good enough to win if the defensive discipline is there. Paul Roos had us figured out last year and we nearly lost twice to Melbourne. This year, the rest of the league has caught up.

Some genuine passengers today.

Sam Gray was a dead set joke of a selection. The kind of selection you see in round 18 when the season is over and you elevate a rookie just to give him a go and see if he's got anything to offer. He's so far out of his depth that it's not funny. Ridiculous selection.

Trengove has been a shadow of himself this year. Jonas ditto.

Lobbe and Ryder isn't working. Ryder is doing well in the ruck and providing a target forward but at the moment it's more potential than anything material. Lobbe is struggling in the ruck and a total liability when pushed forward.

White is struggling. He must be injured because he looks to have lost all of his pace and his kicking has lost all penetration and depth.

Impey, for me, is not up to it at the moment. His defensive stuff is good but I don't trust him to make the right decisions with ball in hand. Broadbent might be out of form but he's still a better option for me.

Hartlett's ball use today was awful.

Good players were few and far between. Boak and Gray tried hard. Wingard was decent. Kane did well in his last game. Hombsch superb as usual. Wines and Ebert good in patches. But really, we never even looked like having control of the game or creating enough quality opportunities to reel Richmond in.

That is a good question, I think Burgo overcooked these guys in Dubai. Last year we were running all over the opposition in the last quarter but this year we are being over run. One thing to go to Dubai and do the bonding thing and build fitness but another to have the players come back like over wrung sponges.
I also agree that our players are mentally stuffed. The ability is there but they have no confidence, no team work and no self discipline.
Give them a rest year, a nice long pre season,a high draft pick, an easier draw and 2016 could just be our year. After all we are still a bit young to be in the Premiership window. 2016 and beyond is our time. AND Ken is the coach for the job by the way.

I wasn't watching for it today, did Richmond flood the corridor? We haven't been going wide by choice.
I have no idea about anything out there.
Legitimately can't answer any questions

#confused

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you are suggesting the players begin to rebel?

Look I agree, I hope these honest meeting they have apparently been having a lot of, have been back and forth between the players to coaches as well, not just playing group, but every coach in the world will drag and drop any player that shows on field dissent to his gameplan. Ken will cut his nose to spite his face.

I am not saying a player revolt. The geelong players didnt revolt against mark thompson in 07 and backed him in when they had their review in 06, but after their loss against the roos in round 5 or 6, the players decided amongst themselves to play a brand that wins games in finals, and they worked with bomber to play that style.

If the players went to ken and said, the style we play isnt working, were too easy to play against, and the style makes games harder to win, would that make ken change the way he coaches the game? We have only played one style of footy under ken, and it now is ineffectual as all other teams play a high press, and combine that with manic intensity around the footy. We are always trying to get numbers back so we can link up across half back and get into space forward of centre, but now teams are comfortable putting two or three behind the play as it will make us go backwards and sideways, allowing them time to put pressure on the ball carrier and receivers. If we do kick it forward quickly it then has to be wide, or we will turn it over. We concede too much ground to the opposition in the pursuit of the free flowing footy that it makes it much harder to win games

The style is not sustainable and that has been proven this season and in the last two. Cant we just play man on man, win the footy, and then work harder than the opposition to create the run and overlap after we have won the footy?

What I said probably is a bit all over the place, im a bit distracted watching Brooklyn nine nine at the same time. Funny show.

I am not saying a player revolt. The geelong players didnt revolt against mark thompson in 07 and backed him in when they had their review in 06, but after their loss against the roos in round 5 or 6, the players decided amongst themselves to play a brand that wins games in finals, and they worked with bomber to play that style.

If the players went to ken and said, the style we play isnt working, were too easy to play against, and the style makes games harder to win, would that make ken change the way he coaches the game? We have only played one style of footy under ken, and it now is ineffectual as all other teams play a high press, and combine that with manic intensity around the footy. We are always trying to get numbers back so we can link up across half back and get into space forward of centre, but now teams are comfortable putting two or three behind the play as it will make us go backwards and sideways, allowing them time to put pressure on the ball carrier and receivers. If we do kick it forward quickly it then has to be wide, or we will turn it over. We concede too much ground to the opposition in the pursuit of the free flowing footy that it makes it much harder to win games

The style is not sustainable and that has been proven this season and in the last two. Cant we just play man on man, win the footy, and then work harder than the opposition to create the run and overlap after we have won the footy?

What I said probably is a bit all over the place, im a bit distracted watching Brooklyn nine nine at the same time. Funny show.

Nothing I have seen so far makes me believe Ken will be receptive if this happened. Even less makes me believe a large enough portion of the playing group can work it out. Wingard doesn't even watch football FFS.

Fair post though. I'm just over seeing people scapegoat Schulz whenever we suck.

I'm going to watch the concluding episode of the Milat mini-series because apparently I haven't had enough of serial killings tonight.

I sat through 119, and the other 3 years of Choco that followed.

The Carlton cough up.
The Brisbane cough up.
The second Brisbane cough up.
The showdown beltings.
Gold Coast.
(Missed 169, yay local football)
Butcher kicks 6, but the Bulldogs 10 goals to nothing at quarter time.
(Missed GWS, yay local football)
I sat through all of it, cause I seen a light, even if it was a long way off.

Tonight was the first time I switched off at half time to play Xbox. I am sorry Kane, for not giving you the attention you deserve and seeing you through til the end. I couldn't. The light has came, and passed, and all I can see now is darkness.

I can not trust Ken any longer.

I want to believe.

Give us something.

Even this was placating at the time.

Give us something.

I was at 169

Hurt then confused now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back