Preview AFL Round 9 - West Coast v Geelong, Domain Stadium, 4:40PM Sunday 31 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In : Cockatoo (sub)
Out : Rivers (rested)

Blicavs to follow Nicnat everywhere
Stanley and Clark to ruck and forward

Lonergan on Kennedy
Taylor on McInnes
Mackie loose man
I think Mr. G or Lang might get a rest this week.

Watched West coast against the Saints very good when they had the ball quite skillful side, could have been down to effort from saints, their forward line is dangerous, but we can exploit them also in forward line keep same team Nakiaa doesn't deserve a game again yet

Even though they're second, I am not convinced about the Eagles. Their best win was against Port, but port have been poor from that moment on, so whether that really a great WCE performance is debatable.

That being said, I definitely have them as favorites.

Perhaps we have the forwards to expose their defence, as the WCE poster above mentioned. Can we match their midfield and clearance work?

It might come down to whether we can halt their momentum when they have their inevitable moments of dominance in the game.

Would be a great one to win, that's for sure! Would really generate some confidence.

Is there any of our defenders that we could use as a forward for this particular game ? Maybe a surprise attack and stretch their defence. Also Motlop needs to lift as he can break open a game. Good to see Stevie j play percentage footy

From my point of view it's not criticism as such, just a view that he's slightly overrated.

Doesn't mean I don't think he's a very good player still, or that he's not contributing remarkably well this year despite not hitting the scoreboard much himself, and more particularly in site of the emotional stress he is no doubt under.

Should be a good game - looking forward to it

It would be great if Geelong could play 4 relentless quarters - not just tease us with a brilliant 1st half and then put the cue back in the rack

Given the best sides find it hard to play 4 relentless quarters, I'd suggest Geelong won't do it once this year against half-decent opposition. Not least while there're 5 blokes under 20 games on the park.

I'm not confident at all about this game. I haven't watched a lot of footy this season and only one Eagles game, which was against Port. They're obviously traveling alright, but against Port it was Port who looked average rather than the Eagles dominant.

It's always a tough assignment over in the west, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I'm still not convinced on the Eagles and against a very good side in their cross-town rival, they were comprehensively beaten. With that being said, it will still be a huge win if we can pull it off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good bonding trip for the youngsters and good experience playing in front of a vocal and hostile crowd. Not many that could come in based on the vfl game. But it should be a good game think the home ground will give the eagles the edge and a small victory.

This is a big game, realistically we arent going that badly, people at the start of the year talked about Hawthorn and Port being the main teams to catch and we are equal with one and ahead of the other, and we have lost mostly to good sides. But 4-4 the next month we need some wins if we are to be a realistic shot to make finals.

I expect no change if no injuries. HS didnt play vfl so he wont come back in, Cockatoo didnt star, Walker is the only possible in and that would be for Kersten, but I think on the bigger ground they will prefer the 2 talls + kersten structure.

Their tall forwards are very good but KPD is our strongest area I think we can handle them, and with Bews in good form I think we can cover guys like Lecras. Their key backs although McGovern and Schofield are very good are undersized without Brown and McKenzie and I think Hawkins and Clark could get a hold of them. Their midfield is good but not great so if we lift we are a shot there. The rucks are my main worry, Nicnat and Sinclair are very good tap ruckmen who get dangerous around the ground, Stanley will need to have his best game this year if we are to be in with a shot, and he will need 3rd up help from Blicavs.

I think Shuey should be a focus as well. He's the sort of midfielder that can have an absolute day out against us, if our mids aren't providing enough defensive efforts and if Naitanui and/or Priddis is giving him silver service.

Does his form justify it? I thought we didn't gift games to players?

Not ahead of anyone that's currently in the team, from what I saw (and I don't think we have any injuries from Friday night either). Not even close.

With such a golden opportunity for AFL-listed players in the VFL to stake their claim for a spot in the seniors, the performances that we saw there on Saturday were disappointing, to say the least. Maybe Kolodjashnij for one of our tall defenders, to give them a rest. That's it, as far as potential changes should go.

I didn't see the game so was only going on a few posts - missed yours. Do you think he's ready to have a shot at senior level?
It's hard to say. He is very inside as a player although he had a couple of shots at goal (poor misses) on Saturday. He does need to develop more of an outside game. He would be more effective as a player with better outside players around him though. He feeds the ball out very well.

We have been much better in clearances in recent weeks so the one area that he shines in we probably have covered for now.

On that basis, I think second half of the season is more likely for a debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back