Opinion Humility after wins

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I didn't think I should make a thread about this, but I decided to anyway because this is the best way to get my message across.

Tigers supporters, I understand we are on a high right now with those great wins against Collingwood and Port Adelaide away. We sit 4-4, and the prospect of playing finals a third year in a row is finally starting to form again after it was taken away during Rounds 2-4. Many of you guys will feel very elated, willing to bring the club above all the others out there, because at the end of the day, it IS the club that you support.

But please, I want you guys to remember something. Let us not be insufferable the way some other supporters from other clubs are on the main board and elsewhere. Remember how bad some other supporters were when we slumped to 2-4 this year? They teared down our club, and some started to become extremely arrogant towards us, pencilling demolishing wins against us and using our history only to bring us down. It does not feel good to be at the receiving end of arrogance.

So, if someone dispraises one of the Richmond players or a coach that you think is being unrightfully dispraised, give them evidence to back you up instead of attacking them with all the negatives from their club that you can think of. If the opposition supporter is being unreasonable and bitter, you be the reasonable one.

Sometimes, opposition supporters criticise the club and can bring up valid points. Don't reject what they say and then attack them just because they are opposition supporters, or support a team lower than your team.

I do not want us to become like the way we were before the Bulldogs game in Round 2 again, or the way some opposition supporters were before they came crashing down.

I understand that a lot of this is banter. But sometimes, it oversteps the line that I would consider banter and it is taken to unnecessary territory

Don't take this offensively though. The thing is, I don't like it when opposition supporters become insufferable when they are winning, and I don't want our own supporter base to be the same as them when we are winning.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Na stuff them...we are Richmond **** the rest. i e copped more than my share from opposition flogs over the years to give it back 10 fold

this:thumbsu:

Stigmata

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh the humility

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432503996.294040.jpg

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Who could be bothered going on opposition main boards anyway . I'm only interested in the rfc ,but there must be a lot of young bucks with a lot of time on their hands
I just don't want us getting ahead of ourselves as usual bc its proven to be our nemesis on the past
We've achieved nothing yet. You don't taste the tea until after the water boils. We've just put the kettle on the stove. SRL is already breaking down his next opponent and keeping a lid on it
That's how I want our club with fans to be bc this getting ahead of ourselves happens every year starting from preseason only to end up in embarrassment
I'm enjoying the win within myself , but keeping the SRL approach

Moshie The Mook

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I used to work with a North premiership player from the 70's. We had this exact conversation 10 years. He said: "You think you will, but you haven't lived through a successful Richmond era. If it happens again, you, everyone of you, all of you, will be unbearable."

The way he said the last bit, slowly, and with emphasis. Goosebumps n that.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
I thought this was goi
I used to work with a North premiership player from the 70's. We had this exact conversation 10 years. He said: "You think you will, but you haven't lived through a successful Richmond era. If it happens again, you, everyone of you, all of you, will be unbearable."

The way he said the last bit, slowly, and with emphasis. Goosebumps n that.
And he's 100% correct, and we do unbearable better than most. :D

Apr 30, 2007
Drouin
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
I didn't think I should make a thread about this, but I decided to anyway because this is the best way to get my message across.

Tigers supporters, I understand we are on a high right now with those great wins against Collingwood and Port Adelaide away. We sit 4-4, and the prospect of playing finals a third year in a row is finally starting to form again after it was taken away during Rounds 2-4. Many of you guys will feel very elated, willing to bring the club above all the others out there, because at the end of the day, it IS the club that you support.

But please, I want you guys to remember something. Let us not be insufferable the way some other supporters from other clubs are on the main board and elsewhere. Remember how bad some other supporters were when we slumped to 2-4 this year? They teared down our club, and some started to become extremely arrogant towards us, pencilling demolishing wins against us and using our history only to bring us down. It does not feel good to be at the receiving end of arrogance.

So, if someone dispraises one of the Richmond players or a coach that you think is being unrightfully dispraised, give them evidence to back you up instead of attacking them with all the negatives from their club that you can think of. If the opposition supporter is being unreasonable and bitter, you be the reasonable one.

Sometimes, opposition supporters criticise the club and can bring up valid points. Don't reject what they say and then attack them just because they are opposition supporters, or support a team lower than your team.

I do not want us to become like the way we were before the Bulldogs game in Round 2 again, or the way some opposition supporters were before they came crashing down.

I understand that a lot of this is banter. But sometimes, it oversteps the line that I would consider banter and it is taken to unnecessary territory

Don't take this offensively though. The thing is, I don't like it when opposition supporters become insufferable when they are winning, and I don't want our own supporter base to be the same as them when we are winning.

Go and have a s**t, ya crap nerd.

unfoley926

Senior List
Jul 30, 2014
Couldn't give a fart about opposition clubs I just worry about ours and if we win that's good enough for me cause being a bad loser is not as bad as being a bad winner! Farc the other clubs opinions. Let's just focus on us. And I'm on board since winning the pies game

Jack Reacher

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
Great win guys but don't start having delusions of adequacy, Hardwick is still a dud this merely papers over the cracks for a bit longer.....

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Couldn't give a fart about opposition clubs I just worry about ours and if we win that's good enough for me cause being a bad loser is not as bad as being a bad winner! Farc the other clubs opinions. Let's just focus on us. And I'm on board since winning the pies game
I'm not talking about banter here. Banter is in a way a part of sport.

When people take it too far though, they just start to become insufferable. At that point, arrogance starts to come in and there is nothing fun about arrogance

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Great win guys but don't start having delusions of adequacy, Hardwick is still a dud this merely papers over the cracks for a bit longer.....
Look, we will embrace the highs. Even if it unfolds again, we will worry about that when it happens. Right now though, we just want to celebrate the win and be optimistic again

May 29, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Port fans were insufferable last year and their bathwater drinking overrated team deserves to be s**t on in kind after a good win away and in Cornes' last game. Any goodwill I had towards them, which used to be significant, finally dissipated after they booed an injured Ty off the ground. Disgraceful.

That said, I sort of agree with OP. We haven't achieved anything yet really so we shouldn't go round acting like we're flag favorites.

Lol, I am starting to think that bigfooty isn't the place where humility is embraced. Many probably joined bigfooty for the purpose of laying into opposition supporters
Dude I never even go on their board.. Its the internet bro embrace it

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Having Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher for your avatar immediately robs you of any credibility, in fact it shows you up to be a complete numpty.
Have a nice day.

Back