Roast Goal kicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkinspired

Premiership Player
Sep 2, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our conversation rate in front of goal got noticeably better post 2012 GF but we've really slipped away this year. Gunston and Breust are missing really easy goals by their standards. I don't think we have being playing much bad football this year and given the fall of other top four aspirants, it should still be relatively easy to make top 4 if we can fix our form in front of goal.

Round 8: 38%
Round 7: 69%
Round 6: 50%
Round 5: 54%
Round 4: 50%
Round 3: 59%
Round 2: 52%
Round 1: 45%

Last year

GF: 66%
PF: 68%
QF: 52%
Round 23: 58%
Round 22: 58%
Round 21: 50%
Round 20: 57%
Round 19: 59%
Round 18: 52%
Round 17: 52%
Round 16: 57%
Round 15: 55%
Round 14: 57%
Round 13: 64%
Round 12: 68%
Round 11: 58%
Round 10: 62%
Round 8: 57%
Round 7: 68%
Round 6: 64%
Round 5: 44%
Round 4: 70%
Round 3: 66%
Round 2: 52%
Round 1: 62%

Good thread. Needs to be discussed.

I just mentioned this very thing in the autopsy thread. Also need to consider the amount of inside 50s that are being converted into scoring shots too because that number has dropped significantly too in our losses.

In our wins we convert both at about 2014 levels.

Can we get the Chief back down to help with the goalkicking.

I also note that normally reliable kickers like Gunston aren't kicking through the ball as they would normally.

Very concerning that the best attacking team in the comp can't convert opportunities into goals.

Going back a step from the goal kicking, our inside 50 entries this year have been predictable and slow, allowing teams to roll all everyone behind the ball and clog up space

Without doubt, it's a worrying trend & been a huge contributing factor in all of our losses.

Given that it was one of our great strengths last year, it's upsetting that we have declined so markedly in converting shots on goal.

From my untrained eye, there doesn't appear to anything markedly different in the process of taking shots on goal, especially last night.

We shud of really won the essendon, port and swans game had we kicked straight.. we had more shots at goal and ended up losing those games by less than 10 points. Had we kicked straight we would of won by 20+

We shud of really won the essendon, port and swans game had we kicked straight.. we had more shots at goal and ended up losing those games by less than 10 points. Had we kicked straight we would of won by 20+

we had equal scoring shots against GWS as well.

We've had equal or more scoring shots in every game so far this year.

Can we get the Chief back down to help with the goalkicking.

I also note that normally reliable kickers like Gunston aren't kicking through the ball as they would normally.
That 1st shot he took barely went 3 feet off the ground. Even if it was on target it would've been easily marked well before it made it to the goal line!

At a fundraising function last year, my sister bought a goal kicking session with Gunston and Breust, which hasn't happened yet. Not sure how much they can teach on current form :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At a fundraising function last year, my sister bought a goal kicking session with Gunston and Breust, which hasn't happened yet. Not sure how much they can teach on current form :(
Perhaps it was intended that she'd be teaching them?

Tired legs from the mobile roles of Bruest and Gunners ??

I made a similar observation on the Hawks Facebook page the yesterday: "Could it be that both Gunston and Breust have been working on their midfield/up the ground work so much that their set shots are suffering?? Both have been very off this year. Missing shots that once would have been certainties, like in the 4th quarter saturday night!"

It's worrying how badly they've dropped off!

This guy's available
134933-travis-cloke.jpg

I made a similar observation on the Hawks Facebook page the yesterday: "Could it be that both Gunston and Breust have been working on their midfield/up the ground work so much that their set shots are suffering?? Both have been very off this year. Missing shots that once would have been certainties, like in the 4th quarter saturday night!"

It's worrying how badly they've dropped off!
Nick Riewoldt's goal kicking suffered for large parts of his career due to the amount of running he did up the field too.

This poor accuracy is likely to stay with us for the whole season. We are 8 rounds in and they havent improved, more than likely this is going to be 2011/2012 again. The fitness gurus wont allow intensive goal kicking drills. At the moment however it is the single biggest issue at the club and in the end just like 2012 will determine if we are to salute or not.

Breust and Gunnar both like to caress the ball rather than kick through it but it seems to me now they've lost confidence they are trying even harder to keep it nice and relaxed to the point they aren't even making decent contact with the ball.

I also think Breust needs to stop trying to make everything a certainty and just have a go at goal when he can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back