Traded Jack Steven

Remove this Banner Ad

With Geelong now clearly on the decline, Dangerfield would be mad to go there. His best chance of a flag is now at Adelaide, it would seem.

With that in mind, I'm damn glad that we've re-signed Jack. Had it have dragged out and Geelong realised Danger was unlikely, they may have thrown the sink at Jack. I think he still would have stayed for the same reason - I think we're now closer to a flag than Geelong - but I wouldn't have liked to test that hypothesis.

Currently having a better season stats wise then he did in his break out year 2013.

Month in Review

32 disposals, 7 marks, 7 tackles, 1 goal and 3 behinds against Collingwood in Round 3.
16 disposals, 11 tackles, 1 goal and 2 behinds against Carlton in Round 4.
31 disposals, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 1 goal and 1 behind against Essendon in Round 5.
32 disposals, 11 marks, 5 tackles, 2 behinds against Western Bulldogs in Round 6.

Averaging 27.75 disposals, 5.75 marks, 7.25 tackles, 0.75 goals and 2 behinds per match in the last 4 rounds.

Jack Steven runs like a duck, loves to surf, says he aims to dive out of packs, and together with David Armitage, has at least statistically risen to the top of the AFL's pool of midfielders.

Josh Bruce may have been a stunning success up forward, and the pair of kid Jacks - Lonie and Sinclair - handy foils, but if you're looking for reasons why St Kilda look to have stepped forward in 2015 - you need to start in the guts.

Heading into round eight, no man had more disposals in the AFL this year than Armitage, and no player had more kicks than Steven, who for good measure was also equal third in the league-wide tackle standings.

For a long time, Steven and Armitage were rivals. From 2008 to 2010 when both were still relatively wet behind the ears, they competed for the same positions in Ross Lyon's top-four side, while in 2011 they battled for the inside midfield spot vacated by the injured Lenny Hayes.

"We used to have a bit of a rivalry, but now we're just teammates," Steven said of the man who feeds him ball from the packs.

"There used to be one spot between the two of us, but now we're both in the team and we're both comfortable playing with each other, we've sort of bonded a lot lately, which is helping out both of our games, I think."

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...ing-on-top-of-the-water-20150522-gh7koa.html?

The last 3 weeks;

vs Adelaide; 27 disposals, 1 mark, 5 tackles, 1 goal, 10 inside 50s.
vs West Coast; 37 disposals, 9 marks, 12 tackles, 10 clearances.
vs Brisbane; 26 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal.

Avg; 30 disposals, 4.66 marks, 6.66 tackles, 7 inside 50s, 5 clearances and 0.66 goals per game in the last 3 games.

Fun fact; becomes the 122nd St Kilda player to play 100 games this weekend.

Jack Steven runs like a duck, loves to surf, says he aims to dive out of packs, and together with David Armitage, has at least statistically risen to the top of the AFL's pool of midfielders.

Josh Bruce may have been a stunning success up forward, and the pair of kid Jacks - Lonie and Sinclair - handy foils, but if you're looking for reasons why St Kilda look to have stepped forward in 2015 - you need to start in the guts.

Heading into round eight, no man had more disposals in the AFL this year than Armitage, and no player had more kicks than Steven, who for good measure was also equal third in the league-wide tackle standings.

For a long time, Steven and Armitage were rivals. From 2008 to 2010 when both were still relatively wet behind the ears, they competed for the same positions in Ross Lyon's top-four side, while in 2011 they battled for the inside midfield spot vacated by the injured Lenny Hayes.

"We used to have a bit of a rivalry, but now we're just teammates," Steven said of the man who feeds him ball from the packs.

"There used to be one spot between the two of us, but now we're both in the team and we're both comfortable playing with each other, we've sort of bonded a lot lately, which is helping out both of our games, I think."

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...ing-on-top-of-the-water-20150522-gh7koa.html?

And Ross kept giving the spot to some other guy........ the name eludes me . Eddie Roberts was it? Then when he was looking like he would forced to develop the future gun players, he cleverly avoided it by drafting Dean Polo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few more articles on Steven;

Steven is the most passionate bloke at the Saints according to Richo and the player who gives the most effort on game day.

http://m.saints.com.au/news/2016-02-09/jack-steven-joins-leadership-group

Steven being brought into the leadership group important to bridge the gap between young and old.

As Roo, Joeys and Dempster are slowly phased out, it's a great time for Steven to have exposure to these players and learn to become a leader himself for the next generation.

http://m.saints.com.au/news/2016-02-09/steven-inclusion-important-says-skipper

A huge honour to be elevated for Steven.

He has come a long way but realises he still has a long way to go as a player, especially with his voice and instruction.

http://m.saints.com.au/news/2016-02-10/leadership-elevation-a-huge-honour-says-steven

With the tweetline, just gold. :D

Kingsley: Steven's growth is important for our direction #BeStKilda http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-02-23/kingsley-stevens-leadership-growth-is-important-for-direction…
Cb3PAqyUUAAoGV5.jpg

I felt Steven was our best player for the game.

On a few occasions he moped up the work of others (which was mentioned by the commentators), yet unfortunately something that stood out was a bad Dempster kick to the feet of Steven who fumbled it which eventually lead to a Demon goal.

His work rate was outstanding (as usual) and when he gets going he is very hard to tackle. I also felt that he was tackling with real purpose and doing his all for the team. His kicking was expected, a few absolute bullet passes and a few grubbers.

It was hard to note if his role had change (as has been mentioned by some ITKs) but he still had a huge amount of CPs and was still an important player for us on the outside.

He finished the game with 30 possies (14k, 16hb), 4 marks, 7 tackles, 1 goal 1, 17 CPs, 8 clearances, with 4 clangers at 73% DE.

A very solid outing for our reigning BnF winner, and a good platform for the rest of the season.

In round 1, I thought Steven was immense. Showed why he has won 2 BnFs with his work rate and speed, which makes him such a weapon on the ground.

Worked throughout the game and was our engine for most of the game, racked up 36 touches, a goal, 5 tackles, 8 i50s, 7 clearances and 3 rebound 50s which shows he was everywhere. Unfortunately his DE wasn't great at 44% but that will get cleaned up over time.

Will be in contention for AA.

Steven wasn't as good for us round 2. Like everyone else I feel, the work rate was there but the execution was not.

Good side: found plenty of the ball, 5 tackles, 2 i50s, 2 rebound 50s and 6 clearances.

But had 6 clangers.

Look for him to bounce back and have a big game again.

Jack Steven got back to his best after a quieter week versus the Bulldogs.

His stats were as follows: 30 possies (14k, 16hb), 5 marks, 3 goals, 6 tackles, 5 i50s, 6 clearences and 3 clangers @ 76.7% DE.

His work rate was at his usual high standard and had some really nice plays with Hickey from the center square where he used his pace to pump the ball inside 50. His speed and endurance are such a weapon for us, both meaning he will always be an important player for us as long as he plays. It was nice to see him kick 3 goals as well as well as provide a nice goal assist to Sinclair.

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2016-04-11/jack-steven-press-conference-11-april

Summary: One of the best wins in recent history because it was so well rounded. Was on the ground more on the weekend, meaning Steven stayed on the ground for longer but moved deep forward for a 'rest'.

Looking forward to the challenge against the Hawks and not going to use less rotations against the Pies as an excuse.

More media because he wants to 'throw himself out' more to the public.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back