This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Rudyard Kipling said it all: "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you. If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two Impostors just the same; Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it."

Well maybe not the Earth and all but the sentiment remains the same, it's never as bad as it's painted after a bad loss or two and it's not all wine and roses after a good win or two, this season is proving that you cannot take anything for granted and all wins have to be earned (well, maybe not against Carlton, lol).
The sky had fallen in at Tigerland in round two when we were outplayed by the young Bulldogs, these same Dogs went 4-1 after a great win in Sydney and were the next Port Adelaide, these same Dogs have since given up a 55 point lead against St Kilda and lost to the Demons who were coming of a 105 point belting by the Hawks, a few pundits went a bit early on that one, but they ARE young and on the right track.
The Suns, after constant improvement, decided that a young coach couldn't take them any further and a supercoach was required, sound familiar :p, they are now 1-7 and have serious off field issues.
Port Adelaide were the pick of many to finish top four, and possibly win the flag, and Ken Hinkley was held up as "the next big thing" of coaching, they are 3-5 and in danger of missing the eight, but all is not lost at Port as they do have talent but are still a long way off, not as good as portrayed in the media and not as bad as some make out now, big test for Ken now.
West Coast are flying and are now "certainties" for the eight and possibly top four, as they were this time last season, Eagles have a long way to go, as have Adelaide who flew out of the blocks but have hit the wall a bit.
GWS are frightening!!
Geelong have yet to forget how to win, hanging on at 4-4.
Norf continue to be an even more frustrating side than us! :eek:
Melbourne, St Kilda and Brisbane will continue to struggle and will have the odd encouraging win but, along with Carlton and GC, will not play finals.
Fremantle (absolutely flying and with an experienced and talented list), Sydney and Hawthorn (despite being 4-4) seem like they will finish top 3.
I'm not getting carried away by the last two weeks, no need to extend Dimma's contract ;), but I won't get overly angry after our next loss, no need to call for Dimma's head either.

Mike Bassett: England Manager. p1ss funny movie and a lot like Richmond, in that he plays his own way and the media and fans absolutely berate him when he is down in the dumps. He says this speech when the media are calling for his head during a presser. one of the best sports movie speeches ever. Wins the media and the fans over instantly and is loved.
love it.

Wise words.

Twin imposters, indeed. I'm always impressed by the teams who say they just try to play their best footy, and don't even concern themselves about winning or losing, because that looks after itself. Ive heard Swans, Hawks and even Dockers say that in the past few years. Mostly the Swans, TBH.

Funny, you never hear anyone from an unsuccessful team say it.

Spot on. It's almost funny how bipolar this board can be depending on whether we win or lose.

Wise words.

Twin imposters, indeed. I'm always impressed by the teams who say they just try to play their best footy, and don't even concern themselves about winning or losing, because that looks after itself. Ive heard Swans, Hawks and even Dockers say that in the past few years. Mostly the Swans, TBH.

Funny, you never hear anyone from an unsuccessful team say it.

We've said it a few times in the last few years - and I wouldn't class us as too successful.

We've said it a few times in the last few years - and I wouldn't class us as too successful.

Agree completely that we aren't exactly the model of success. I missed us saying that playing our best footy was the goal, rather than wins. Players or coaches or both?

Spot on. It's almost funny how bipolar this board can be depending on whether we win or lose.

Agree completely that we aren't exactly the model of success. I missed us saying that playing our best footy was the goal, rather than wins. Players or coaches or both?
We are like all teams, if we play our best footy we have a great chance of winning, that means Lids, Cotch, Dusty, Jack and Rancey play well but also B Ellis, Ivan, Shed, Chappy, Grigg and Houli also play well and so on, this creates confidence which in turn creates run and then Hunt, Griff, Vlaustin etc all lift a cog as well.
Unfortunately the reverse also applies.

Dimma has said once or twice that the wins and losses are irrelevant, it's not what they look at it when they review a game. He and a few players (Deledio comes to mind) have also said repeatedly that they just want to play their way and if they do the wins will take care of themselves.

We are like all teams, if we play our best footy we have a great chance of winning, that means Lids, Cotch, Dusty, Jack and Rancey play well but also B Ellis, Ivan, Shed, Chappy, Grigg and Houli also play well and so on, this creates confidence which in turn creates run and then Hunt, Griff, Vlaustin etc all lift a cog as well.
Unfortunately the reverse also applies.

It's maybe my favourite thing about Aussie Rules.

Confidence can make a very mediocre team or player top of the tree.

Carlton are obviously bereft of confidence, so despite having three number 1 draft picks, two at #2, Yarran at #6 and Judd, they look certain to come stone, motherless last. You never know who is going to win because this intangible thing is so important.

Dimma has said once or twice that the wins and losses are irrelevant, it's not what they look at it when they review a game. He and a few players (Deledio comes to mind) have also said repeatedly that they just want to play their way and if they do the wins will take care of themselves.

Thanks. I do actually remember Deledio saying that, now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast are flying and are now "certainties" for the eight and possibly top four, as they were this time last season, Eagles have a long way to go, as have Adelaide who flew out of the blocks but have hit the wall a bit.
West Coast are only flying as they've had the easiest draw in the comp by miles.
Beaten - Carlton (18th), Brisbane (16th), GWS (4th), Port (13th), Gold Coast (17th) & St Kilda (15th)
Lost to - Bulldogs (11th) & Freo (1st)

At the moment, the only worthy win is over GWS

West Coast are only flying as they've had the easiest draw in the comp by miles.
Beaten - Carlton (18th), Brisbane (16th), GWS (4th), Port (13th), Gold Coast (17th) & St Kilda (15th)

Yep. Their next 4 weeks is something like Geelong, North, Essendon, us. Although none of the top teams it will definitely show us where they're at, I personally think they'll only win 1 of the next 4 and be 7-5.

Agree. That's the point I was making

We've had the easiest draw by miles guys
We haven't played Freo or Gws unlike wce
Lets be realistic here
We will get a true indication once we get to round 16 if the fixture is designed right. Haven't checked

Get outta this thread!!!! And into the Conca and Lennon threads with those stories ;)

Get outta this thread!!!! And into the Conca and Lennon threads with those stories ;)
I'm watching "married at first sight "where data is popped into a computer and matches up a couple then they have to get married on first sight
I'm intrigued by it. s**t DH back on track I'm glad it wasn't around 23 yrs ago as the bloody PC probably would have matched me up with a bloke knowing my luck:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back