2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know the exact score but colly park beat kenmore by 35 or so. Was a good match to watch. Kenmore were very grubby off the ball throwing a few cheap shots though. #52 deserved his red card!!

Sandgate over uq by 50. Game looked to be played in good spirits, uq have some good talent and some bigger bodies. Sandgate came out very switched on and hard off the first bounce. Widt kicking his usual bag and their other forwards all chiming in. Number 9 for Sandgate one to watch very dangerous near goals and can move through the middle, number 10 in the middle for sandgate is one to keep under wraps if your on him.
Uq lost a couple through the night to some hard but legal tackles which hurt their run. Sandgates backline strong as always, sandgate has four wingers that they seem to rotate off the bench, number 7 27 15 and 1 all quick and dangerous, 15 and 27 especially great users of the footy. I went out there expecting uq to come away with it as im sure most guys on here did, shining light for uq was probably number 60 skinny winger who went forward, good skills and finds good space. That was the best team I have seen sandgate put out all year.

Sandgate over uq by 50. Game looked to be played in good spirits, uq have some good talent and some bigger bodies. Sandgate came out very switched on and hard off the first bounce. Widt kicking his usual bag and their other forwards all chiming in. Number 9 for Sandgate one to watch very dangerous near goals and can move through the middle, number 10 in the middle for sandgate is one to keep under wraps if your on him.
Uq lost a couple through the night to some hard but legal tackles which hurt their run. Sandgates backline strong as always, sandgate has four wingers that they seem to rotate off the bench, number 7 27 15 and 1 all quick and dangerous, 15 and 27 especially great users of the footy. I went out there expecting uq to come away with it as im sure most guys on here did, shining light for uq was probably number 60 skinny winger who went forward, good skills and finds good space. That was the best team I have seen sandgate put out all year.
Sandgate did finish 3rd last year and in my opinion have got a lot better this year added some pace to the line up and are training pretty solidly two nights a week, I certainly wouldn't be underestimating their chances at the business end...

uni are the softest side ive ever played against. a few good hard hits off the ball and they didnt want to go near it. easy wins if youse are up against them and arent afraid of the hard ball.

Ferny grove are a good side. Though the score didn't show it. It felt like a really close competitive game all night. Their ruckman who apparently has only played 2 games of afl ever will be hard to be beaten in the ruck and will only improve. They will knock off one or team top teams during the season.

I have just heard from a couple of sources that an umpire sledged a woodsmen player last night. That's a new one. Umpires taking pot shots at a players ability. Was also heard telling the players that they didn't know the rules. On top of all that, apparently the same umpire refused to stop play when a player was down with a serious injury, which ended up being a dislocated hip. Who was this clown ???

I have just heard from a couple of sources that an umpire sledged a woodsmen player last night. That's a new one. Umpires taking pot shots at a players ability. Was also heard telling the players that they didn't know the rules. On top of all that, apparently the same umpire refused to stop play when a player was down with a serious injury, which ended up being a dislocated hip. Who was this clown ???

So what? They probably didn't! And boo hoo to the players as well re their supposed abilities. If they were smacking the umps ability to umpire then I'm sure they shouldn't mind a bit of feedback in return....

So what? They probably didn't! And boo hoo to the players as well re their supposed abilities. If they were smacking the umps ability to umpire then I'm sure they shouldn't mind a bit of feedback in return....
Wow.. Hope that not an Umpire ! If umpires start to stoop to the level of responding to the players taunts we have issues.

I don't have a problem with umpires having a chat with players. If it is done with constructive and positive banter. Umpires are human and make decisions on the fly. Just like players they make mistakes. The most important thing is they don't belittle players or put player safety in doubt.
If a player is constantly having a crack at an umpire they must understand the close calls won't go their way. I used to love the banter between myself and umpires. Some used to be quite witty and a relationships over the years was built up.
I think at this level all of the umpires we have had do a pretty good job. That's not to say the guy you are talking about was out of line as I didn't see that game.
It is my view that its not the decision that's important its how the player reacts to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what are you saying, this standard of umpiring is advocated and promoted in Queensland ??

From my knowledge, the umpire apologised to the coach at the end of the game, for the banter or remarks that had occurred between the player and the umpire.

This is not advocated or promoted in Queensland, and again I stress the Umpire did apologise to the coach. ‘I hope the player received this apology.’

The umpires interpretation of the Laws of Australian football, are just that, the umpires interpretation!! The umpires try to succeed in paying any infringements that he or she observes and hears on the football field, and abides by the Laws of Australian Football.

Sometimes umpires see these incidents, like the clash of heads, blood or hearing the sound of a bone snapping and the scream of a player in great pain, etc, and many umpires would stop play at the earliest opportunity.

I am not a doctor, so knee, ankle, arm, wrist injuries don’t become apparent until the opinion of a doctor, trainer or official advises or brings to the attention of the umpire that the player requires the assistance of a stretcher, this may also include a dislocated hip.

For the Health and Safety of Players.

An umpire never refuses to stop play when the injury of player comes into question. Under Law 7.3 Use of Stretcher.

I will reinsure this message to all umpires at the next umpires training session.

Did
I don't know the exact score but colly park beat kenmore by 35 or so. Was a good match to watch. Kenmore were very grubby off the ball throwing a few cheap shots though. #52 deserved his red card!!
Didn't get a red card. Boundary umpire( colly park hierarchy) was out of line and shouldn't be trying to report that. Good game , they were lucky we had 3 serious injuries and a 15 minute yellow card

From my knowledge, the umpire apologised to the coach at the end of the game, for the banter or remarks that had occurred between the player and the umpire.

This is not advocated or promoted in Queensland, and again I stress the Umpire did apologise to the coach. ‘I hope the player received this apology.’

Thanks for your reply AFL Laws. Great post. Have heard now that the player did receive the apology through the coach, along with the offer of a personal apology directly from the ump.

Did

Didn't get a red card. Boundary umpire( colly park hierarchy) was out of line and shouldn't be trying to report that. Good game , they were lucky we had 3 serious injuries and a 15 minute yellow card

any official be it club supplied or otherwise should have full rights to card or report a grub, period! Like I mentioned before, keep the phone handy for video evidence at the tribunal.

..in other news...Kedron...wow, flogged the life outta of Yeronga. Very solid scoreline.

any official be it club supplied or otherwise should have full rights to card or report a grub, period! Like I mentioned before, keep the phone handy for video evidence at the tribunal.

..in other news...Kedron...wow, flogged the life outta of Yeronga. Very solid scoreline.

Completely disagree with providing any level of power to unqualified club volunteers. Allows way too much opportunity for outside biased influence on a game. Not what is needed.

And you are keen on the mobile phone one. Did you tape any games on your phone this past weekend ?? Got any good footage for us all here ??

And Kedron's result is far from surprising. Game was played on a Saturday for one, which leaves Yeronga with several players unavailable, as well as completely nullifying Yeronga's much loved stacking of their thirds. 15 goals 24 sounds more like wayward kicking than a very solid scoreline !!!!

The umpires interpretation of the Laws of Australian football, are just that, the umpires interpretation!! The umpires try to succeed in paying any infringements that he or she observes and hears on the football field, and abides by the Laws of Australian Football.

Sometimes umpires see these incidents, like the clash of heads, blood or hearing the sound of a bone snapping and the scream of a player in great pain, etc, and many umpires would stop play at the earliest opportunity.

I am not a doctor, so knee, ankle, arm, wrist injuries don’t become apparent until the opinion of a doctor, trainer or official advises or brings to the attention of the umpire that the player requires the assistance of a stretcher, this may also include a dislocated hip.

For the Health and Safety of Players.

An umpire never refuses to stop play when the injury of player comes into question. Under Law 7.3 Use of Stretcher.

I will reinsure this message to all umpires at the next umpires training session.

Why couldn't the umpire apologise directly to the player after the game instead of the coach? I reckon that's really weak and seems like he apologised to the coach just so a complaint wasn't made against him! He had every opportunity to speak to the player involved but decided not too and only apologised once the Woodsman coach went over to them to shake their hands just before they went into their change rooms.

I really hope you do bring it up at your training because what I saw on Friday night was ridiculous. The incident happened right in front of where I was as I was making my way around the ground to see how Kenmore was going against Zillmere next door and the Most disappointing thing was a Ferny Grove player was the first one to ask the umpire to stop the game as he could see how much pain the injured player was in and he was only about 15m away from the play yet the umpire didn't want to hear it and decided to yell at the Ferny player the fact that he can only stop the game if there is a stretcher. He eventually stopped the game once the trainers were yelling at him to tell him that a stretcher was needed and then he decided to yell out (not once but 3 times) like a moron to the bench to hurry up with the stretcher which was already halfway out to the player.
Umpiring is not an easy job and they do cop a lot of abuse from players, but they don't help their case when they get a power trip just because they have a whistle in their hand! The. 2 umpires were experienced umpires and have umpired at a higher level but were very ordinary on Friday night.

You Woodsmen blokes are turning into real sooks. Fair enough the umpire made an error or judgement on the stretcher issue by the sounds of it, but the stretcher should be out there before play is stopped - obviously the Woodsmen trainer wasn't organised and didn't have it on the bench where it should be.

As for a bit of banter from the umpires, suck it up. Never heard such a pack of whingers.

"Sources tell me an umpire sledged a player". Stop hiding and admit you clearly play for the team, and by the level of tears - you may have been the player sledged!

What is going on down there Thommo 42 ? Your club is becoming a bunch of sooks who hide behind pseudonyms to whinge on the internet. You should be embarassed.

Back to the footy....

Jimboomba clearly now warming up nicely. Guise will be a huge in for them if they keep him all year. Zillmere clearly will be a different team week to week. Looking at the side they put out against Kedron, then 12 changes a week later against the Woodsmen, then 8 of those guys missing against Jimboomba. They are going to confuse people with their results, but their best 22, is probably the best side in it.

Should be an interesting year.

You Woodsmen blokes are turning into real sooks. Fair enough the umpire made an error or judgement on the stretcher issue by the sounds of it, but the stretcher should be out there before play is stopped - obviously the Woodsmen trainer wasn't organised and didn't have it on the bench where it should be.

As for a bit of banter from the umpires, suck it up. Never heard such a pack of whingers.

"Sources tell me an umpire sledged a player". Stop hiding and admit you clearly play for the team, and by the level of tears - you may have been the player sledged!

What is going on down there Thommo 42 ? Your club is becoming a bunch of sooks who hide behind pseudonyms to whinge on the internet. You should be embarassed.

Back to the footy....

Jimboomba clearly now warming up nicely. Guise will be a huge in for them if they keep him all year. Zillmere clearly will be a different team week to week. Looking at the side they put out against Kedron, then 12 changes a week later against the Woodsmen, then 8 of those guys missing against Jimboomba. They are going to confuse people with their results, but their best 22, is probably the best side in it.

Should be an interesting year.

Well it seems my brothers in green caused quite a stir down there on Friday night. I will not go into who right and who's wrong I think it's been covered here by many.

As an umpire we try to "Get it right" all the time but this is simply not possible as we are all human and make mistakes ....... and we even apologise sometimes when we know we made a mistake. I have in my time had "words" with players during the game. Usually this occurs when players continually whinge and whine about every decision and it's gets to you eventually when blokes are having a go at us. Sure we should let it slide and get on with the job we have to do but I believe if you want to dish it out (to other players, umpires etc ) you should be prepared to take it when it comes back your way.

If you don't whinge and whine or sledge an umpire I am sure the umpire will not sledge you

If you don't whinge and whine or sledge an umpire I am sure the umpire will not sledge you

Not always the case, but generally agree.

Some people are just rubbish blokes, in some cases they happen to be umpires. More often, they are players and/or coaches though...

Not always the case, but generally agree.

Some people are just rubbish blokes, in some cases they happen to be umpires. More often, they are players and/or coaches though...

You seem to know me QAFL;) however I have never sledged anyone who hadn't sledged me .... 2 wrongs don't make a right.... I know..... but as I said if you're prepared to dish it out be prepared for it to come back to you

Completely disagree with providing any level of power to unqualified club volunteers. Allows way too much opportunity for outside biased influence on a game. Not what is needed.

And you are keen on the mobile phone one. Did you tape any games on your phone this past weekend ?? Got any good footage for us all here ??

And Kedron's result is far from surprising. Game was played on a Saturday for one, which leaves Yeronga with several players unavailable, as well as completely nullifying Yeronga's much loved stacking of their thirds. 15 goals 24 sounds more like wayward kicking than a very solid scoreline !!!!

Yep we (Yeronga) had 8 out. That included a few injuries, but it's safe to say Saturday football is not good for us. Hard not to ask if this almost entirely Friday night competition shouldn't just be a Friday night competition?

Having said that, Kedron's top handful of players were a cut above. Mr G Fitzgibbon, for example, will be giving a bunch of us nightmares for a while. Very difficult match up for any side, I reckon. Having our full squad would have made the result only a touch more respectable.

Another couple of shocking day time factors - the sun! And the firm, dry deck! Ha ha, it doesn't take long to forget the mysteries of the red egg. The ball doesn't slide straight on and suddenly it was keystone cops time.

Gonna ignore your stacking comment Pea Nut in order to let the other 20 or 30 times you've made it speak for themselves :)

Yep we (Yeronga) had 8 out. That included a few injuries, but it's safe to say Saturday football is not good for us. Hard not to ask if this almost entirely Friday night competition shouldn't just be a Friday night competition?

Given Kedron have functional lights and are located in a central position, it's strange they've been allowed to play Saturday.

However, it is a great venue for Saturday arvo footy, and I imagine they won't be in this comp for more than this year - so why make the change for only 12 months..?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back