Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2015 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good posts, agree on all counts. Had a 'chat' to Twomey about it last week on twitter and he was pretty intent that the costs of broadcasting and making available these games are far more than we'd expect - and that there's no conspiracy or anything.

I'm still not sold on why they don't - but there must be a reason.

Good posts, agree on all counts. Had a 'chat' to Twomey about it last week on twitter and he was pretty intent that the costs of broadcasting and making available these games are far more than we'd expect - and that there's no conspiracy or anything.

I'm still not sold on why they don't - but there must be a reason.

There are cameras at all games and clubs get access to the footage from the games, so it shouldn't be so hard to do.

Other than buying the rights to the games, I'm not so sure what other costs would exist. Would AFL.com need to buy a larger internet plan to be able to upload the games? Pay a lot for the rights to replay the games? I'm not seeing the big expense.

There is no competition from others to buy the rights for the u18s particularly, and such limited competition for the state leagues, that if anything I'd imagine without doing or knowing the sums intuitively it feels like it should if anything be marginally profitable.

The other option is a few people, us or others like us get together, start a website, get in contact with all the critical people across the various leagues and work out a system whereby all games can be streamed live on that website, then replayed on the website so that people can view it online at their leisure.
That or connect it to a youtube channel.

It's something I'd like to see investigated anyway by some people with the willingness to put in the time and effort to get something like this off the ground.

And really it's something that all the competitions should really be looking to embrace to increase the popularity and interest in their various competitions from fans.

There are cameras at all games and clubs get access to the footage from the games, so it shouldn't be so hard to do.

Other than buying the rights to the games, I'm not so sure what other costs would exist. Would AFL.com need to buy a larger internet plan to be able to upload the games? Pay a lot for the rights to replay the games? I'm not seeing the big expense.

There is no competition from others to buy the rights for the u18s particularly, and such limited competition for the state leagues, that if anything I'd imagine without doing or knowing the sums intuitively it feels like it should if anything be marginally profitable.

The other option is a few people, us or others like us get together, start a website, get in contact with all the critical people across the various leagues and work out a system whereby all games can be streamed live on that website, then replayed on the website so that people can view it online at their leisure.
That or connect it to a youtube channel.

It's something I'd like to see investigated anyway by some people with the willingness to put in the time and effort to get something like this off the ground.

And really it's something that all the competitions should really be looking to embrace to increase the popularity and interest in their various competitions from fans.

I've actually been considering and looking into something similar too without much luck so far. I suspect it'd be very much a no-profit kind of thing, though. It's a tough one; I'd really like to see it happen but you'd likely need the afl to come to the table and they probably wouldn't.

Guys about afl.com. As an IT consultant I have met them about redesigning and re targeting their own site to get more people onto it. The site is not controlled by AFL. The company who 'owns' the afl contract also has other football related websites and it is not in their interests to put videos or other articles on afl.com. The other sites would lose traffic..... and thus $$$$

Guys about afl.com. As an IT consultant I have met them about redesigning and re targeting their own site to get more people onto it. The site is not controlled by AFL. The company who 'owns' the afl contract also has other football related websites and it is not in their interests to put videos or other articles on afl.com. The other sites would lose traffic..... and thus $$$$

and who sold them that. AFL? So they took the money and ran. Buy it back and get serious.

and who sold them that. AFL? So they took the money and ran. Buy it back and get serious.
Company that owns it provides all the local league ladders, fixtures etc. it's too ingrained at the local level and the AFL doesn't realize how much money the site generates. IF any of you know someone high enough up in the afl, I can present the numbers that makes it a no brain choice to take control of it.

Given full game tapes for the u18 competitions are unique and not otherwise available online, I can't the game-tapes being on one particular website changing the traffic to any other websites all that much.

It's more in the blue-ocean strategy meaning that it helps you, but doesn't in any way take away from the market of those other competitors, as what you are offering is completely unique which is more where I'd see it fitting.

It's an interesting one though.

As with any market. If we can demonstrate that there is great demand, the service will in time be provided.

I've actually been considering and looking into something similar too without much luck so far. I suspect it'd be very much a no-profit kind of thing, though. It's a tough one; I'd really like to see it happen but you'd likely need the afl to come to the table and they probably wouldn't.
Unfortunately they don't let people film the champs games anyway regardless of whether they are televised or not. Someone can't just rock up with a camera and start filming. I'm pretty sure the AFL Vic guy was red hot last year, IIRC some guy got kicked out from Simmons either last year or the year before as he was trying to film the game

Given full game tapes for the u18 competitions are unique and not otherwise available online, I can't the game-tapes being on one particular website changing the traffic to any other websites all that much.

It's more in the blue-ocean strategy meaning that it helps you, but doesn't in any way take away from the market of those other competitors, as what you are offering is completely unique which is more where I'd see it fitting.

It's an interesting one though.

As with any market. If we can demonstrate that there is great demand, the service will in time be provided.
AFL would make more money by doing it in house and the u18 competition videos would bring a lot of traffic. They could make money out of it too!

Hope you're keeping an eye out on my Dolphins this year Knighta.

Overage Dandy Stingray Daniel Capiron was there best in a walloping on the weekend with an assured 24 disposals, 9 marks and 4 tackles.

Josh Pickess is another who has impressed the young group also

I assure you Yoda, I am getting my VFL fix in this year, and more than usual.

I have been watching replays of the weekly VFL tv gametapes and I saw I believe it was Coburg v Frankston some weeks back now. I'm also watching the weekly Collingwood games posted on the Collingwood website and on occasion the Richmond game-tapes from their website.

I actually liked the Coburb boys more from that Frankston game I saw. Hartley and Featherstone by VFL standards are both terrific KPPs and Cale Morton as a tall back flanker also really caught my eye.

Cavarra probably was the better player for Frankston. Tynan good but his poor footskills left me asking questions as per usual with him. Pickess a non-factor in that game so perhaps next time I watch Frankston play in a televised game he is more of a factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good big bodied mids are those academy boys primarily or Dunkley as a father son. Assuming Gold Coast have a top few pick and are looking for a midfielder. Darcy Parish, Darcy Tucker, Luke Partington and Ryan Clarke. None of them are your tall, power mids. But second round maybe a Gregory Clark, Jordan Snadden or James Parsons second round as taller mids could be considerations.

My recommendation to Gold Coast would be to add some established players from opposition lists. Put those picks on the table and see who bites and I'd add to that some players who aren't playing to exception and don't project as long term best 22 players. Sam Day as one example having been taken early draft some years ago.

Thanks mate. Yeah agree we need some more mature bodies. Never keen to trade away early picks though unless it's a really good deal, though at the moment with Prestia now out for the year, anyone who can stay durable is looking like a good deal :) I have a feeling Rocket and Clayton will be quite busy this recruiting season.

Thanks mate. Yeah agree we need some more mature bodies. Never keen to trade away early picks though unless it's a really good deal, though at the moment with Prestia now out for the year, anyone who can stay durable is looking like a good deal :) I have a feeling Rocket and Clayton will be quite busy this recruiting season.

As a target for Gold Coast the name that comes to mind is David Armitage. A good QLD boy who may be open to persuasion, a terrific fit through the midfield as a strong bodied mid who can produce and play strong footy right away.

Tom Bell from Carlton, though probably not available given he is having a breakout season and may after Cripps be their second best player, he is a further big bodied midfielder who would be a big time get.

Whitecross can probably be had as a free agent.

Beyond Queensland maybe a Brent Stanton as a free agent would make sense.

Melbourne may be willing to give away their pair of top two picks in Trengove and Watts. And Watts probably looks better outside Victoria without pressure or expectations existing up North, and Trengove's only issue is injury, but if/when he gets that right he can be a good component to a midfield.

For what you're describing regarding durability Bryce Gibbs would be terrific. He is one of a few who doesn't miss games. But Carlton aren't giving him up. Jack Redden similarly as a super durable, very good mid would be another terrific addition. Maybe he is more available given Brisbane's glut of midfielders.

Others I'm sure will go out of favour as the season progresses and become more obvious as the season progresses. There are always good midfielders available, so Gold Coast while there is no surviving this season, it's going to be a better team any way you look at it next season.

Any good rucks in this draft ?

A number with ruck height, but those better ones are more relief rucks who are better suited to playing as key position players.

Schache is tall enough to go through there if required. Harrison McKay same story. Dylan Smith is nearing that ruck height but again he is a key position player. Sam Skinner nearing that ruck height. Nate Dennis from QLD is 200cm but can play anywhere. Dylan Atkins is another in that nearing ruck height who is more a kpp.

Tim Sullivan is probably the better ruckman at 199cm. Mark Kovacevic as an overager may be a chance.

There are always options. But my strong recommendations would be to trade for a ruckman this year. There are some seriously good ruckmen on other club lists who just don't feel correctly utilised.

Scott Lycett has been pushed out of that West Coast team with Callum Sinclair these past few weeks playing instead of him.

Jarrod Witts at Collingwood similarly is a genuine number one ruckman and just isn't getting those minutes with Brodie Grundy in there.

Then you've got Gold Coast who have both Tom Nicholls then Zac Smith, with neither terrific up forward. So one of those could probably be had pretty easily. Nicholls is the one I'd go for, but Smith is the more likely of the two to be available as the worse of the two.

So those are some seriously good ruckmen. Get any of them and you've got a lead ruckman for the next 8 years. You'll just need to find an adequately appealing player/pick or combination of the two to make a deal along those lines happen.

Has anyone kept tabs on how past prospects like Kristelly, Hartnett and Urban are tracking?

Harnett and Urban are playing VFL development league. Can't say I watch development league, but Harnett has been listed twice in the bests, Urban yet to feature in the bests, but both are playing at that level.

No idea with Kristelly.

Hey knightmare I was just wondering what player comparisons you have for a few of these potential first round draft picks such as Darcy tucker, nick okearney, Harley Balic and josh Schache and Sam weideman. Also what is holding back weeideman from being touted as a high first round pick. Cheers

Hey knightmare I was just wondering what player comparisons you have for a few of these potential first round draft picks such as Darcy tucker, nick okearney, Harley Balic and josh Schache and Sam weideman. Also what is holding back weeideman from being touted as a high first round pick. Cheers

For these I'll probably have completely different comparisons next week.

But on the spot, some top of mind comparisons.

Tucker is something like a Stephen Hill through the midfield. Has absolutely incredible pace and is probably at AFL level a better accumulator.

O'Kearney something like a Matthew Boyd as an incredibly high level accumulator without incredible ball use.

Balic has a feel of something like a poor man's Wingard, as that forward/mid who has that class, extra time and space, damaging footskills and a nice leap.

Schache probably something like a Drew Petrie.

Weideman something closer to a Chris Dawes with a slightly stronger mark and less endurance.

Weideman hasn't showed me that point of difference that suggests he can take advantage of AFL standard key defenders. He has nice height, nice size. His primary weapon is his marking ability, but even that primary weapon I don't look at as dominant having seen him drop too many marks and miss-read the flight too many times. Not a super freakish athlete or ground level player. And then lacks the endurance to push up the ground. He is just lacking that something for me.

At this point in time with Weideman I couldn't justify using a first round selection on him.

But we're only a third of the way through the season, so when Weideman returns he still has time to change my mind. Reece McKenzie did last year with a strong second half. So Weideman still has time to make a case to move up my draft board. I just don't agree with the evaluation the media seem to be bringing forward. Particularly those looking at him as a top 10 pick. I'm not seeing that at all.

There are film schools in every state , and film students who are looking for work experience throughout the year. I'm one of those. It wouldn't be hard for an organisation , if they had the schedule in advance to book 3 or so film students to help a couple of professionals to film the games.

There are film schools in every state , and film students who are looking for work experience throughout the year. I'm one of those. It wouldn't be hard for an organisation , if they had the schedule in advance to book 3 or so film students to help a couple of professionals to film the games.

There are camera people at games all over the country I can only imagine. So the TAC Cup/Maccas Cup etc are probably covered. Though that probably could be something they look at in the future.

If the AFL want to go cheap, get film students in the do the filming, get wanna-be commentators in doing the commentary etc.

In your situation, perhaps school footy might be a goer if you have a connection with some of the private schools. There may/may not be some possibilities there depending on their rules and regulations, but that strikes me as an ideal place to gain the type of experience you are talking about. U16s would also be a local starting point again if they allow camera access across the country.

Just thinking aloud without any particular expertise in the area. But they may be some possible starting points.

Hey KM do you know anything about Jimmy Freeman from Dandenong and his chances of being drafted?
Overager who kicked 6 a few weeks ago for Dandenong who missed all of last year through a broken ankle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back