Ryan Crowley tests positive to banned substance (Opposition supporters tread carefully)

Remove this Banner Ad

Um what o_O
I've shared my opinion a lot on this forum, and me being a chick's never come into it (unless my opinion's in regards to the attractiveness of a player)

And to keep on topic, I'm not happy that details of this hearing have leaked. I want to be careful forming an opinion on Crowls' guilt because we can't know the legitimacy of what's leaked, or the context of these details. I'll stick behind Crowley until a formal decision gets made and we know the facts of what happened. Having said that, I do think he will find it hard/impossible to get back into the side.

Entirely agree with you but from what has been leaked, if it is legit, could see him get off lightly.

Possibly. The thing that will more likely reduce his sentence is full co-operation and disclosure which he has done. Reading past cases this typically does reduce the sentences more than any other factor.

That is correct. It's a bit of a catch-all these days, in sporting world it refers to lots of professions including physiotherapists, sports scientists, personal trainers, soigneurs (popular term/position in cycling). Interestingly enough, those types have been avenue for many athletes ending up on sanctioned lists.
Still, he's not getting off. People fully co-operating when they are caught red handed has a lot less weight. Saad got 18 months, I would suspect Crowley would get the same.

I would be shocked if he plays another game.

Still, he's not getting off. People fully co-operating when they are caught red handed has a lot less weight. Saad got 18 months, I would suspect Crowley would get the same.

I would be shocked if he plays another game.

Oh for sure, he'll get banned.

Typically, and this is very general after a 'casual' reading of past cases that I did going back a year or more ago, the sort of reduction is relative and seems to depend on a number of factors. In Crowley's case, with the very little we actually know, I'd say best case scenario would be 1 year ban, but quite likely more - that would be my poorly educated guess.

Playing devil's advocate here..

If that medical professional did supply it, do you think it would be in their best interests to deny it and claim it was something more like tramadol?

Even allowing for Dr's notoriously bad handwriting, most scripts are printed now, so no misinterpretation by the pharmacist.
Tramadol and Methadone are metabolised very differently and I seriously doubt would be "mistaken" for each other
I would be real interested to know where the AHP obtained the alleged Methadone... not something that is floating around my drug cabinet for sure, so not easily "picked up"

If there was no prescription and he took it under the belief that it was NOT a controlled substance / PED / illicit substance I can definitley see how he could plead ignorance.

"Your honor, I had ongoing back pain and one of my good friends "Nurse Jo" said that I should try this pain relief medication. She told me it was a fast acting medication that was not on the anti-doping list. I was ignorant and should not have taken it without checking with the club doctor but "Nurse Jo" was a trusted friend / advisor and I took what I did not know what it was, but if I had of known I would not have taken it".

This is all conjecture (sorry Ross) but I imagine this is the defense he is using.

Sorry but this sounds like lame b*ll dust.
I would prefer to wait for facts to emerge, but I think the whole thing looks suss as it stands

I'm expecting an 18 month to 2 year ban. ASADA's stance has always been that players are ultimately responsible for what they have in their systems. He tested positive, he'll cop a lengthy ban.

The only way anyone would get off light with a positive test would be either some kind of variation on the Mexican meat story (I ate contaminated food), or maybe mislabeled medication.

If the drug in question was a stimulant or steroid there would be no chance on anything less than 18 months. But the drug is not banned. It is specified and has medical applications. You are allowed to take it however not have it in your system on game day.

That's why his legal team think they may be able to get a six month ban. It's why he could play now if he wanted and take the ban when the hearing was completed. The Collingswood pair as they tested positive to a steroid are NOT able to play at all. As they trsted positive to a prohibited and not specified substance. Its an enormous difference. It why comparisons to Saad are irrelevant because of the class of the drug.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect he was hoping for 6 months. Got 12. The two Collingwood boys will not like this. They will get 2 years.
What's so much worse about the Collingwood guys? Probably shouldn't get more than either Crowley or even Saad. Anyway if Keefe gets delisted due to his case like Eddie said he's welcome to take up a rookie spot here as we really need KPPs next year onwards. (Assuming less than 2 year ban)

What's so much worse about the Collingwood guys? Probably shouldn't get more than either Crowley or even Saad. Anyway if Keefe gets delisted due to his case like Eddie said he's welcome to take up a rookie spot here as we really need KPPs next year onwards. (Assuming less than 2 year ban)

Lets not get carried away.

Hes a pretty average footballer.

A ban means he's not allowed to train at the club either, is that right?

May as well retire now. He's not getting picked for the last couple of weeks of finals after not training all year (if we make it that far).

It's been a good career he can be very proud of though. Blessed with limited talent, but he got more out of himself than most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back