Roast Flying the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, It's no coincidence that we got thumped in the gf when hawks were physically bullying us. Jetta and hanners got battered particularly. a bit like us you probably focus on playing the ball.

Just look at last week to see what a bit of retaliation and physicality can do. They cant handle it when you push back.

Saw what grimes did, absolute dog

yeah i realise that, ever since joining the afl we have generally gone for speed, runners, athletic types, but then we recruited the pickett,hardwick wakelin types....

Recruited Hombsch...

Hey guys, It's no coincidence that we got thumped in the gf when hawks were physically bullying us. Jetta and hanners got battered particularly. a bit like us you probably focus on playing the ball.

Just look at last week to see what a bit of retaliation and physicality can do. They cant handle it when you push back.

I wrote last year after the GF that I just couldnt see us doing to the swans what the hawks did in the GF. Its not our style and why I didnt believe that we would have won the GF if we won the PF. Now there is more than one way to skin a cat but we arent the ruthless unsociable football side the hawks are and I dont think our run and gun style would have got over the swans. That doesnt mean I didnt want us to make the GF and give it a crack, just the cold harsh reality that man for man the swans have a better side.

How does a side who almost beat freo on their home deck and pantsed the hawks in a qtr of football fall so far from grace in the space of a month...

What angers me is that it doesnt surprise me...our club just does this s*** time after time....

Every successful team needs its fair share of enforcers, nigglers and arseholes. Yours had them. Barry Hall, Jared Crouch, Adam Goodes and Nick Davis all had their moments treading those lines.

Our 2004 side was chockfull of them.

Our 2015 side has had its moments (Wines, Hartlett, Trengove, Schulz) but as a whole would hardly have an opponent quaking in its boots.

We need some Bad Boys!!

This great doco from last year as part of ESPN's 30 for 30 series, (Volume II) is worth a look at the Detroit Piston Bad Boys. Watch at least the first 5 minutes, but I reckon once you watch the first 5 you will want to watch the next 100 minutes. I lived in Canada in the 1988-89 NBA season, the season the Pistons won their first NBA title and every night they played, I'd watch highlights on the 24 hour sports channel on cable TV, of their great play and their great scrapping and antagonist stuff.

tribey and Ford Fairlane what you have written in your posts is very nicely highlighted in the first 5 minutes. They became despised by just about all involved in basketball but they didnt care. They had to be tough to stop the power houses of Celtics and Lakers and went on to back to back Championships. And they pissed off Jordan big time - but indirectly they toughed him up and Chicago and the rest is history.

Last edited:
Funny thing is I liked the Pistons for that very reason. It is a slickly made doco but Port shouldn't need any lessons from basketball franchises. Fos Williams had that market cornered nearly 40 years earlier than that and John Cahill carried it on in two separate eras. Port were the masters of intimidation and the executors of tough brutal uncompromisingly relentless football.

It is part of what we have lost with the introduction of football zones and the inability to take kids and shape them into the Port players of tomorrow. Heck we even made a Port player of Simon Tregenza, the archetypal Sacred Heart Bay player.

I've toyed with whether this was worth it's own thread or not, but I feel that it is.

What the hell is up with our total lack of any sort of aggression at the moment? It's been obvious for a little while but the Richmond game was as bad as any time during the dark years.

Richmond players would come up and get into our guys physically, and there might have been some meek resistance from the player targeted, but absolutely nothing from any of his teammates. Nothing.

Is Josh Carr not an assistant at this club?

I nearly spewed up when we had Trengove hurt on the ground starting to get up, Grimes went and shoved him over and faced absolutely no remonstration at all from any Port player. What a ******* disgrace! Dean Brogan would have crushed his skull like The Giant and Oberyn Martell, but there wasn't so much as a polite word from any of Jacko's teammates.

It's not only about helping out your mates, it's about the physical battle. We got physically dominated by Richmond and that set the tone for the entire game.

I hope I never see us that passive again. It was sickening.
Maric monstered us physically all game. Lobbe needs to find some aggression. Looks weak as despite 10 tackles. Same with Ryder but he lifted his game and aggression after quarter time and got us back into the contest IMO. But they both look physically weak relative to other rucks. Our players look too small physically including Westhoff and Schulz. Martin also too big for us to handle. Made Jonas look very ordinary.

We recruit too many nice blokes from school and then put them thru media training and political correctness class.

Need to recruit a few tradies or meat workers from the abattoirs. I wished we would recruit a kid or two who left school at the end of year 10 or 11 took up a trade involving a bit of physical grunt work, is a footyhead but missed out on the draft at 18 or 19 because of dopey industry perceptions and is hungry as all hell to become a professional footballer.

We need a few mongrels with a rough edge that can be smoothed up when is 28 or 29.

A couple of Dustin Martins please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fun thing about these threads is when someone like Hammer/Trengrove does retaliate and either get reported or give away a 50m penalty, everyone is up in arms about lack of discipline.

It was so obvious last night that they have a directive from the coaches to not retaliate. Perhaps other coaches have worked this out so they take advantage of it.

#bringbackthebiff

Don't be the 'Retaliator' be the 'Instigator'

"I'll be First" (Arnie voice)

Jean Rasczak: Correct. Naked force has resolved more conflicts throughout history than any other factor. The contrary opinion, that violence doesn't solve anything, is wishful thinking at its worst. People who forget that always pay.

I'm not sure if it's a bit of a "don't let them think they are getting to us" thing, to just Gandhi it up with the hope that we'll let our football do the talking.

But seriously, **** that. Richmond are a team that crumble under the slightest bit of pressure, but we seemed to be actively avoiding applying it to them.
Richmond are so mentally weak. If Schulz and Wingard had kicked those easy goals we would have won that game. Turn up the heat they crumble and thats why that loss was so pathetic.

Richmond are so mentally weak. If Schulz and Wingard had kicked those easy goals we would have won that game. Turn up the heat they crumble and thats why that loss was so pathetic.

Yep, we had them on toast in the third and just couldn't put them away

and it's a big part of the reason we crumbled in the last and they didn't

We need some Bad Boys!!

This great doco from last year as part of ESPN's 30 for 30 series, (Volume II) is worth a look at the Detroit Piston Bad Boys. Watch at least the first 5 minutes, but I reckon once you watch the first 5 you will want to watch the next 100 minutes. I lived in Canada in the 1988-89 NBA season, the season the Pistons won their first NBA title and every night they played, I'd watch highlights on the 24 hour sports channel on cable TV, of their great play and their great scrapping and antagonist stuff.

tribey and Ford Fairlane what you have written in your posts is very nicely highlighted in the first 5 minutes. They became despised by just about all involved in basketball but they didnt care. They had to be tough to stop the power houses of Celtics and Lakers and went on to back to back Championships. And they pissed off Jordan big time - but indirectly they toughed him up and Chicago and the rest is history.

I saw that doco a few weeks back and enjoyed it immensely. Interesting that, a very young, Dennis Rodman beat up on the Bulls during that time and ended up playing in their Championship era.

Close the thread now and send it straight to KT and Ken.

FMD KT was on the receiving end of our side in the Cahill era he'd know all about it. It's in the damn song FFS 'come on Port Adelaide aggression'.

Maric monstered us physically all game. Lobbe needs to find some aggression. Looks weak as despite 10 tackles. Same with Ryder but he lifted his game and aggression after quarter time and got us back into the contest IMO. But they both look physically weak relative to other rucks. Our players look too small physically including Westhoff and Schulz. Martin also too big for us to handle. Made Jonas look very ordinary.

Agree totally. Lobbe has lost it almost as much as Jonas has. I'm not sure if he's still feeling his injury or what, but he's been very hard to watch. All he seems to be able to do at the moment is make tackles to break even at a stoppage. If you want a big name to drop, there's your man.

Agree totally again. We said it in the podcast, Richmond absolutely go to water under any sort of pressure at all, and we couldn't so much as defend ourselves from their poor-man's physicality. Pathetic.

Funny thing is I liked the Pistons for that very reason. It is a slickly made doco but Port shouldn't need any lessons from basketball franchises. Fos Williams had that market cornered nearly 40 years earlier than that and John Cahill carried it on in two separate eras. Port were the masters of intimidation and the executors of tough brutal uncompromisingly relentless football.

It is part of what we have lost with the introduction of football zones and the inability to take kids and shape them into the Port players of tomorrow. Heck we even made a Port player of Simon Tregenza, the archetypal Sacred Heart Bay player.
When they make videos about our great era I will link them.

I like Isiah Thomas. The all star who was all smiling, joking face of the side but had a ruthless streak who drove and endorsed and encouraged the bad boys. I wish we had someone like that.

The America's Game docos on the Raiders are similarly instructive.

Still Port Adelaide's coaches should understand Port Adelaide football.

We need to get strength and a bit of machismo into the team. Moore, Young and Ah Chee have to come in. Neade to hold the ball in the forwards a bit. Sam Gray was an experiment that should never have been tried and if there currently isn't a place for Amon then so be it. We have to get games into players but if we do it while we're not winning then we're just taking them backwards in their development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back