Review Fremantle d North Melbourne by 73 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Duffield has lost his confidence from the previous week when he was made sub. He probably thought his position was reasonably safe and then finds out that he is right at the tail end of the 22, finally to be made sub. In the game he was on for the full game and was unsighted with just 8 possessions. He is usually quite a large possession getter but I think he is nervous of his position and did not seem very confident in that game. I would say if anyone was going to needs to be left out, it would be Duffield.
He is usually always the person for the kick outs in defence but it is Johnno who is now kicking the ball out, Duffield has lost that position ?? for which he has always been very reliable at. Hmmmmm

Did we get chopped up on the rebound by the fast ball movement from the Roos because that style will cut us to ribbons or because our defensive run dropped off?
Those passages where they moved the ball direct and we didn't seem to have an answer for it late in the game.

We were actively resting players again and the defensive run dropped off. Ross alluded to changing roles and switching people around in the last quarter in his presser.

Having said that. Any team that moves the ball quick from half back is dangerous. It's why the Hawks can be so damn scary as they move it so quick and accurately. Usually.... Freo now score a fair few of these as well. Half back to tabs on the wing. Perfectly weighted kick to sutty running the wing half forward into fifty and a goal. Scary football and the opposition doesn't get a look in. Momentum building or chabging goals.

I think Duffield has lost his confidence from the previous week when he was made sub. He probably thought his position was reasonably safe and then finds out that he is right at the tail end of the 22, finally to be made sub. In the game he was on for the full game and was unsighted with just 8 possessions. He is usually quite a large possession getter but I think he is nervous of his position and did not seem very confident in that game. I would say if anyone was going to needs to be left out, it would be Duffield.

I think you've read into it far too much and he simply had an off game.

Yes, and? All being 8-0 shows is that you're 8-0. Nothing else. Go back further through history and find how many strong starting teams fail. It's nice to be 8-0, but that level not only has to be maintained through to October but improved upon.

As you showed, St Kilda went 19-0. That was under Ross Lyon. Did dick all for them when it mattered.
They all made the GF though. Every single 8-0 side of the last decade.

Therefore, since you are using it to prove we won't necessary win the flag, it also makes an compelling argument that we will make the GF.

He is usually always the person for the kick outs in defence but it is Johnno who is now kicking the ball out, Duffield has lost that position ?? for which he has always been very reliable at. Hmmmmm

I thought I would never be as confident with anyone but Duffman kicking the ball out from fullback but the various backman that have taken the kick have all been reasonable. Clearly with that central role gone, Duffman's spot in the lineup is as hot as anyones. I love his elite kicking skills but you would have to be kidding if you didn't think the Gu could have more impact at the moment.

Jonos kicking was a bit dubious this week.

I thought I would never be as confident with anyone but Duffman kicking the ball out from fullback but the various backman that have taken the kick have all been reasonable. Clearly with that central role gone, Duffman's spot in the lineup is as hot as anyones. I love his elite kicking skills but you would have to be kidding if you didn't think the Gu could have more impact at the moment.

RTB is doing exactly what is required with rotating the SUB and making sure that as many players as possible are given some R&R so that they remain focused and fresh .
Duffield may have been feeling the pinch . Not being privy to what is happening behind closed doors we can only guess

a few weeks ago i would have said subans spot is in danger because of a low disposal game or two,then a watch the replay and change my mind
sorry zunga,well have to look elsewhere for a spot,
last week barlow i though was out of touch and his spot may have been under threat ,well the weekend quickly put paid to that
soory zunga,you'll have to wait
now duff man after a quiet game has me raising my eyebrows,and a few others as well it seems
my money will be on duff man to come out this week and have a blinder
i'm trying my best zunga but i just can't fit you in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the coach's message is that if you're position is threatened right now, work harder to stay on the bus. It wouldn't be the desired reaction if Duff was to take his eyes off the ball to nervously start reading bus timetables.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back