2015 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Pt. 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the Port vs Melbourne game last year. Free corporate box so I couldn't say no. I assume they can't sell them. Was almost a good day.

The song came on at the start and it was okaaaaay but most people don't really know the lyrics. They mumble over most of it then join in for the chorus if they haven't become completely lost. It's a popular song but it's not exactly an anthem. It's not like when Sweet Child of Mine comes on the jukebox in the front bar of your local and everyone joins in with singing and air guitars.

They should put the lyrics up on the big screens. At the Liverpool game at the MCG they put the lyrics up there for You'll Never Walk Alone and it was great. There were some diehards there who have probably got YNWA tattoos but the bulk of the crowd was not exactly the weekly Anfield faithful. I bet a lot were grateful for the lyrics to be displayed and they joined in with gusto.

Maybe in a few years when they've got the lyrics down pat they can do away with it but not while it is being established. It seems they have to pretend that now that they've adopted this song it is part of all their fans' DNA and is probably mentioned in the Creed (somewhere near the back). Why do we need the lyrics displayed? We were singing this back in 1870 and there weren't big screens then.
Michael Hutchence sure did age well then

Roos would have been watching how teams have beaten Melbourne, you can be sure Melbourne will have a gameplan to combat Port

I've got every single Port game wrong in the tipping, bar R1.

I may have tipped Richmond wrong every week but 1 or 2 so far ... but that's no different to any other season.

I kept thinking last year Port are not that good and kept tipping against them, now it's the opposite ...... but I can live with that.

What on earth is Trigg doing?

They said they were going to make a decision towards the end of the season. Now the decision seems to be creeping closer with every interview Trigg does.

Why can't they just weather the storm? Mick's a big boy, Carlton are (supposedly) a big club. Sure it sucks but sometimes it's just your turn. Have a plan, stick to it.

It's Round 8. You can't have a caretaker coach for 14 weeks.

You can't say at the bye that Mick isn't going to be coach next season but will coach out the year. That would be an even bigger disaster. Why would players listen to someone who isn't even going to be there next season or be the one making judgments on them?

They said they were going to make a decision towards the end of the season. Now the decision seems to be creeping closer with every interview Trigg does.

Why can't they just weather the storm? Mick's a big boy, Carlton are (supposedly) a big club. Sure it sucks but sometimes it's just your turn. Have a plan, stick to it.

You can't say at the bye that Mick isn't going to be coach next season but will coach out the year. That would be an even bigger disaster. Why would players listen to someone who isn't even going to be there next season or be the one making judgments on them?

This always happens when the coach is going to get the chop tho.

Step 1 - No comment on the coach's future
Step 2 - He will be coaching until season ends, nothing to see here.
Step 3 - He has the full support of the players
Step 4 - He has the full support of the board
Step 5 - It's possible he won't coach the season out
Step 6 - Coach's future at club obviously untenable to everyone, board back him one more futile time, unconvincingly
Step 6 - We are going to have an early review
Step 7 - Club and coach part ways on "mutual terms"
Step 8 - Welcome to the commentary box

It's been fun but surely Port will flog Melbourne. They aren't this bad.

Well, recent form is similar (2 wins 3 losses) and both are the same position (13/14) on the ladder.

Melbourne got flogged by Hawthorn, Fremantle and, to a lesser extent Sydney, but managed to convincingly beat the Bulldogs and Richmond

Port got flogged by a terrible Brisbane side, and lost convincingly to Richmond and West Coast. They beat Adelaide despite losing the midfield battle, and narrowly beat Hawthorn after falling asleep at quarter time.

Game is in NT so it could be a close one

Lets be honest Trigg has no idea what he's done. He's a salesman with little substance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swore I heard Rooch on Sunday say that supporters who deserted the PAPs during the Primus years were true believers because they didn't want to shell out their hard-earned for crap footy like that.

This from the guy who before has claimed Port true believers never desert their club, unlike Crows fans.

I've always thought Port people did mythology well. Turns out they're just full of s**t.

Maybe in a few years when they've got the lyrics down pat they can do away with it but not while it is being established. It seems they have to pretend that now that they've adopted this song it is part of all their fans' DNA and is probably mentioned in the Creed (somewhere near the back). Why do we need the lyrics displayed? We were singing this back in 1870 and there weren't big screens then.

It's almost time to shuffle the playlist.

Sure, but they're still on message. Triggy wants to reassure the Blues fans that he's been clear about that.

Karma can come our way too. I say again it's along season.

Yeah, but we haven't been pumping our chests out, getting ahead of ourselves by telling the world how good we are. They thought they were going to win the flag in 2015 based on the fact that they were a kick away from Hawthorn to a grand final.

I think most of us know where we are currently.

Last edited:
Yeah, but we haven't been pumping out chests out, getting ahead of ourselves by telling the world how good we are. They thought they were going to win the flag in 2015 based on the fact that they were a kick away from Hawthorn in the grand final.

I think most of us know where we are currently.
Pretty much the way I see it.
Always have to keep the karma bus in mind though. Never go too far.
Things have a way of turning around quickly, and it can still get much worse for us and much better for them.

Reading the "Your Say" section of the Herald Sun this morning and found this gem:

"SO the persecution of Essendon Football Club is most likely set to continue in that heartland of the AFL - Switzerland. But wait, there's more: the World Anti-Doping Agency will be represented on the three-person Court of Arbitration by a Belgian - Belgium, of course, being another AFL heartland.

Not only is Essendon being placed under "double jeopardy" after being found wholly innocent by ASADA but its second trial is being transferred overseas.

We Bombers fans will be hoping our team gets a better hearing - and result - than Breaker Morant"

I started laughing halfway through the 1st paragraph and just keep laughing louder and louder. I laughed loudest when i got to the end and saw that it was signed by
Dr Bill Anderson.
Dumb ignorant parochialism knows no bounds.

Pretty much the way I see it.
Always have to keep the karma bus in mind though. Never go too far.
Things have a way of turning around quickly, and it can still get much worse for us and much better for them.

I had a Port supporter tell me on the weekend that they were only 3 points away from a premiership last year.

No mention of Sydney, who they lost to twice last year. Just that if they had of beaten Hawthorn they would have been premiers.

Last edited:
Swore I heard Rooch on Sunday say that supporters who deserted the PAPs during the Primus years were true believers because they didn't want to shell out their hard-earned for crap footy like that.

This from the guy who before has claimed Port true believers never desert their club, unlike Crows fans.

I've always thought Port people did mythology well. Turns out they're just full of s**t.
He did, his justification was the club wasn't who they were used to supporting and not going was their way of forcing change. That's a great strategy knowing you will be bailed out, what a w***er.

Yep it's brilliant stuff...apparently Malthouse went on radio this morning and tipped the bucket on old Triggy (see this article).

One point I found particularly interesting was:

[Malthouse said that:] Trigg also told him forward Eddie Betts had decided 18 months ago he was leaving to play for Adelaide. Player manager Ned Guy immediately took to Twitter to declare that was “100 per cent wrong”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back