Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
he's being booed as a direct result of his decision to stand up against racism. they may be booing him because he's black (probably the least likely option). they may be booing him because they thought he should not have stood up against racism. they may be booing him because they did not like the wide spread praise he got for doing so (political correctness gone mad!!!), including winning Australian of the year. There is no doubt whatsoever he is being booed as a result of the things that followed him standing up to racism. it's pretty gross to me, but that's just me. Other people seem to find it similarly gross because he's absolute legend of the game, which isn't really gross. Let's be clear though: The idea that he is being booed for staging is a bit like claiming you were actually saying boo-urns. you might be, but come on. and players who get booed for staging typically get booed after they've actually staged during a game. not as soon he touches the pill in the game.

Now, it's been happening for so long that's probably getting to the point people are booing him because other people are booing him. The pathetic attempts to improve the match day experience (aka improve the match day culture) have basically failed, but booing adam goodes has become part of the match day experience. it'd be funny if it wasn't kinda weird.

One thing that surprised me 4 or 5 years ago was when it became obvious to me that Goodes was really not a liked player (Big Footy, new circles of friends, hearing stuff at matches). In fairness, it was never noticeably racist (although the sentiments may have been), it was all about a perception that he was not always a ball player and that he got an extraordinary run with the umpires (and seemingly the league when he missed suspensions). I would say that it was similar to the dislike of Judd that I hear and read about.

It was all well before the finger pointing. I'm not really in any doubt that, as much as it frustrates me, perception becomes reality and that his being awarded the Australian of the Year less than a year after the finger pointing lead many to draw the conclusion that it was compensation for his being victimised. It is unfortunate because it ignores the community work that he does.

The perception is that it was a token appointment and I am not sure how that is not racist (when it routinely ignores the actual reasons for the award) if the perception is that he is only Australian of the Year because he was a victimised indigenous person.

In 2014 every single bit of gamesmanship displayed onfield became an act which did not befit an Australian of the Year. Given that one thing has nothing to do with the other and the dislike of Goodes has increased post finger point and AOTY, it's left me in little doubt that if the booing wasn't racist it now is.

The problem is, quite simply, that the booing of Goodes on the scale it occurs now didn't happen prior to the 'ape' incident two years ago.

Like it or not, that's an inescapable fact. Maybe it's partly because booing him is fashionable; indeed, some probably don't even know why they're booing him, beyond "but everyone does it".

In the end, however, people are in no position to be telling Goodes he shouldn't have taken a stand or been hurt that night when he was on the receiving end of a slight that was clearly racist.
Australians just copy their mate, probably no real thought in it. But yes, I don't recall it happening on the scale before that game against Collingwood. Many people thought he was an undeserved Australian of the Year which is fine but Australian tall poppy syndrome comes to the fore. Australians are still generally adverse to people they see as being 'successful', 'controversial' etc. And no other Aboriginal players is booed because I suppose 'they've kept quiet'.

The Hawks supporters were really feral Saturday night, really feral.

There are a lot of peanuts in footy. Most aren't booed obsessively.
maybe they should be.

everyone above has summed it up nicely; it's a combination of people not liking him, tall poppy syndrome, racism.

myself, i've just never liked him. I can't give a definite reason... there is just something about him. just like judd; just like jack revolt.

oh my god let the worsfold thing happen

tumblr_mrh4s6Nyuu1rbdjfao1_500.gif

He did and that was disgraceful.

I don't like Goodes these days, for reasons such as that and the manner in which he plays.

I also detest the obsessive booing of him.
I was there on Saturday night and I haven't always agreed with everything he's said (especially about our situation) or how he's gone about some things, but I was so angry at the booing of him.

On a more serious note, I dislike Goodes very much. I actually disliked him before the whole racism thing so my conscious is clear there. I was sick of the way the media portrayed him as the golden player and not noting his sniping diving ways. He would say 2 faced comments and seemed all about Adam.

The constant boos these days though definitely have racist tones to them though, it was never like this before 13 year old girl & AOTY and as such it can't be denied there is some racism to it. Is it all racism? no, but it is in there for sure.

On a side note, I don't boo at the football. I'll call him a sniper out loud no problems, but booing isn't my thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a lot of peanuts in footy. Most aren't booed obsessively.

There are a lot of people that are booed, our captain and recently fletch to name two close to home. When an issue was raised about Jobe the overwhelming view was, let them boo if they want, they paid to be there they can.

So why is it an issue people booing Goodes? Why is he being treated differently. The only reason is people feel it may be racially motivated. No one has come out and said it was, in fact there was a tripping incident that has been attributed to the Hawks fans booing him.

So why is this about race? The people trying to defend Goodes have made it so. All these commentators saying its racist, (and im not aiming it as posters here, it seems most of us dont boo) are either going to from now on have to call out all booing or is it only when someone with different colored skin is booed?

The widespread booing started after that night at the MCG. I think it's pretty easy to see, therefore, why that conclusion is drawn by many.

That peculiarly Australian idea of shutting up and copping it on the chin also plays a part. I have no doubt some people think he should have kept his mouth shut.

It doesn't make repeated, targeted booing at other players okay. It's boorish, actually. Will our fans likely boo Ryder over the way he left? Yes, no doubt. To a certain extent it's inevitable. Just like Saints fans gave it to Goddard- fans don't like players leaving, especially when the chips are down.

The booing of Goodes has taken on a systematic and more nasty edge than any other though, for mine. Yes, and for mine that includes Jobe.

I know that Goodes gives people many reasons for disliking him but the progenitor of it becoming as systematic as it has cannot be ignored.

Another thing is though, all the media discussion around him being booed seems to only draw two possibilities:

-Was it racist?

-Was it because he was named Australian of the Year, ie tall poppy syndrome?

From my point of view, his sniping, sooking ways seem to get all but ignored by the majority of the media time and again, much like it did with Judd. The belief that he (like Judd) might also have been a bit fortunate with one of his Brownlows (in terms of favourable voting) does add somewhat to the resentment. Add to that some incidents that would have made both players ineligible if found guilty that werent treated as harshly as they may have been. And I'm remembering Corey McKernan and Chris Grant in 1996 and 1997 respectively as I type this. McKernan missed out on the Rising Star due to a hand trip too, for the record.

So not only do fans have to sit there and watch the media seemingly ignore what appears obvious to them, but they are indirectly accused of racism on top of that. It really irks me, as it undoubtedly does many others. Funnily enough, this isn't even the fault of Goodes himself, even if he is the reason for it. But then you are trying to place a rational thought process into an emotional situation. That in itself does not deserve an accusation of racism though.

I don't think anyone, aside from Swans fans, would deny the reasons behind Goodes being disliked are multi-faceted.

It's very unfortunate, though, that the moment the dislike of him became the fashion, and so widespread, is that night at the MCG. It raises some pretty uncomfortable questions.

That wouldn't be the case to anywhere near the same extent if it had taken off after he'd belted or sniped someone.

Lots of players get booed, it isn't racially motivated, its for what they have done or do that makes people dislike them

Ballantyne, Franklin, Pearce (against port), Goodes, Watson, Thomas, Harvey, Ryder will against us, Even Monfries gets a few against us.

Lots of players get booed, it isn't racially motivated, its for what they have done or do that makes people dislike them

Ballantyne, Franklin, Pearce (against port), Goodes, Watson, Thomas, Harvey, Ryder will against us, Even Monfries gets a few against us.
That disgusts me.

Story on the age:

Malthouse to be "sacked within hours".

Can completely guess correctly who wrote (part) of that story.

At least she's given up on us for moment, i guess the hatred for Essendon is slightly overtaken by sacking of another coach for the moment.

Although give it a week or 2 and she'll be back to the Hird must be sacked agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back