Autopsy Round 6: Saturday May 23: Richmond Tigers vs Casey Scorpions, 6.15pm at Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

I did ask at the cocktail night regarding how they performed certain gym exercises theflea . This is an area I have some understanding of. The club did these exercises as would any gym instructor instruct. Hamstring injuries can be caused/increased in risk by a strength difference between the quads & Hamstrings. Performing certain exercises in a particular way only increases this difference thus ^ the chances of Hamstring issues..... For whatever it's worth.

RFC_Official ? private message me I'd be more than happy to talk more. Not sure if there is anything you can suggest or pass on. I can pass on a resource name if possible. That goes into it...

They had their injuries because of the drugs they took that helped them build muscle. Don't think Conca fits into that category..

Maybe or just that what they took brought on what was going to come anyway due to technique & exercise selection ??

I was at the game. We were in it right up to the first 5 mins of the last.

I will start off by saying how frustrating it was watching Astbury play forward. We created our own stand alone VFL team so we had control over where each player lines up and to further develop their skills etc in the position they would play at AFL level. Touch wood, but if Both Grimes and Batch went down today/ played very poor games, Dea would be first in followed by Astbury. Astbury would be coming off a poor game as a forward and expected to play a solid defensive role in the ones. Just doesn't sit well with me.

The ball was wet due to the grounds surface being slightly wet. Good strong marks were hard to come by.

Astbury dropped everything that came his way but did have a solid opponent on him all night. played down back for the last half of the final term. far too late. the switch should have come second term as it was obvious the move wasn't working. Had a poor game, but not entirely his fault.

Gordon was poor too. It seems he has dropped his confidence since running around in the twos. He gets frustrated with his VFL level team mates too easily. He needs to stand up and show he's a class above VFL. Seems to position himself well and float into the forward 50 unmanned and receive 'cheap goals/possessions'. I don't mind this at all, getting into a position to score unmanned. However he also needs to earn his share of goals and possessions. Also could focus on holding onto uncontested marks rather than jumping under them.

Lennon and Mcdonough were average. Were okay but you wouldn't know they are AFL listed players if you were the opposition supporter. Lennon looks to have that calm about him when under pressure, yet didn't seem to make the possessions count. Didn't seem to have that much of the ball and was surprised to see he had 19 touches. I think we have something to work with and will be a better player with better team mates around him (as AFL level). String together 3 above average games and he'll be in the ones. Average games just won't cut it.

Mcdonough played a similar game to the Collingwood VFL game for those who were there. Very much like Lennon, he struggled to stand above the VFL listed players. Missed a few set shots. Nail those and people notice his game more. If he had of kicked the goal against Collingwood to win the game his confidence would be right up heading into last nights game. A great performance last night could have seen him placing pressure on Morris spot in the team. It just wasn't there.

Mcbean was okay. Didn't get a lot of opportunity due to minimal FWD 50 entries. For someone who was unlucky to be dropped for todays senior game, you'd think there would be plenty of hunger to perform well to keep pushing. Casey moved the ball out of our FWD 50 with ease. Plenty of short kicks out to beat the zone then a long switching kick to open up a wing. It was very obvious. Mc Bean and the fwd line needed to tighten up their defensive efforts. IMO with a lack of FWD50 opportunities the hunger should have been directed to pressure acts, but it wasn't there. Okay game, but plenty to work with.

Conca/ Mckenzie injured. The latter is rumoured to be a management thing, but I am not overly convinced. I think he's pretty sore. Mckenzie did okay but I won't criticise a first game back from injury. I will say this guy has a huge upside and I am convinced he will be a player in 4 years time. I know why clubs didn't take a punt and fully understand why. If we continue to support this kid he'll go a long way. If he cops too much negative criticism he will walk. EG what Vikery receives now, Mckenzie will move himself on. Lets make sure we support this kid and we'll reap the rewards. That goes for all of our players. Criticise but still support the fact they are in the yellow and black.

Conca didn't seem right even before he was injured. Didn't have much influence and doesn't seem to be moving as freely as he usually does. Lennon and Mcdonough would still get a game before him if he wasn't injured. As I wrote above they are a bit behind expectations and Conca would be futher. I'd forget Conca in the ones for a while now. Let him get over his injury (Which seems to be a hammy) and let him string together 2 average games in the twos and two VG games. At least 2 months away IMO.

Thomas was one of our better players. Hard and intimidating. Laying impressive tackles. With out him and Cachia in the middle we would have copped a 100 point loss. He had his usual game, probably not skilful enough for AFL but would have him in the ones in a heartbeat if rain was forecasted.

Dea BOG for the Richmond listed players and second Best on for Richmond's VFL. Attacked everything that came his way. Was great defensively and pretty good at rebounding. I reckon he gets slightly intimidated at AFL level with the bigger bodies but has plenty of grunt in him. He is every chance to replace Grimes or Batch if they under perform. He knew he was playing well and did leave his opponent to be the 3rd man up. twice it did spill to his opponent, but I'd rather him be taking the game on as he did. Just needed to be cautious of when to go up and when to stay. For those that were there, how many times did we have 3 plus defenders go up and still lose the contest? frustrating. However overall Dea was very reliable defensively and is clearing the ball well. May get a call up.

Cachia BOG. How he is not on an AFL list is amazing. Keep going like this he'll have an AFL club to call home next year. Would be the perfect replacement for Foley if he finishes this year.

Last edited:

Forgot to mention a little bit about Hammer. Played well, rucked well and provided a great tall option even though he didn't clunk any marks. Gawn spent time on him, (Who was BOG or close to it) however Hammer didn't always follow him into their 50 where he was most damaging and 'resting'. I'm pretty sure that was an instruction from the coaching staff. He won plenty of hit outs (Have no idea of the hit out count) however no where near as dominant as last week (55 hit outs). Needs to be a bit more active after the rucking contest. Almost a deer in headlights when he was used for a relief handball. Needs to be on his toes ready for a tackle. Lobbe from port is a fine example of this. Yet still another solid game. If Maric needs a rest I would be confident in Hammer replacing him for a week or two.

Lennon's numbers actually aren't bad. Named in the bests too. Hopefully he gets a call up soon. Wouldn't mind him coming in for the Cellist against the druggies.

I did ask at the cocktail night regarding how they performed certain gym exercises theflea . This is an area I have some understanding of. The club did these exercises as would any gym instructor instruct. Hamstring injuries can be caused/increased in risk by a strength difference between the quads & Hamstrings. Performing certain exercises in a particular way only increases this difference thus ^ the chances of Hamstring issues..... For whatever it's worth.

RFC_Official ? private message me I'd be more than happy to talk more. Not sure if there is anything you can suggest or pass on. I can pass on a resource name if possible. That goes into it...
Thanks mate. I do understand what you mean as if you have a muscle imbalance between an anterior/posterior muscle group, just doing both muscles at the same time, just maintains the same imbalance.

Thanks mate. I do understand what you mean as if you have a muscle imbalance between an anterior/posterior muscle group, just doing both muscles at the same time, just maintains the same imbalance.

Can be made worse for example , the Squat if not done properly can make the imbalance worse possibly increases the chance of not only Hammy problems but risk of ACL injuries as strong Hammy's provide protection for the ACL/knee. Doing the traditional gym movement of 90%(knee angle) squats is what I'm talking about.Don't mean to big note myself but it's an area that interests & facinates me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back