Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
apparently a guy i went to school owns a pub in brunswick and betts used to have a beer with him all the time. he states they only offered him $200K a year and would have stayed for 400K a year but left because he was insulted. true or not who really knows but definitely wasnt offered the figure stated in the media.

the facts are that when you lose betts, garlett, waite and even a player like robinson who was good in our forward line under ratten and dont replace any of these guys it causes issues. again, thomas at that high salary with those injuries was a MM want. just doesnt make sense. how about laidler who gets a game for sydney but MM didnt rate him at all?
Find that very hard to believe.

MM had nothing to do with Eddie leaving, put it that way. Something stinks at our footy club, at board level.

Sentimentality aside, I have no problems with Eddie leaving if it was his decision. Free agency was after all designed by the players to hold their clubs to ransom for a big pay day.

Many of us would however say in hindsight that recruiting Mick's godson Dale was a blunder when an end of first round compensation pick may have been on offer.

For sundry BF posters and lurkers who have been swept up in the Mick Malthouse Messiah myth you are now experiencing REALITY bumping up into your fantasy. This is painful but it is progress.:) Various of you are on your separate levels of grief, I am amazed that some are still in denial.

For those of us who long ago realised that MM was a has been and had NO HOPE for this season or beyond it with MM as coach, yesterday's MLG email comes as a first sprinkling of winter rain from which hope for the Mighty Blues might once again exist.

MLG has consistently stated that MM would coach us this year. He previously said that the Board would decide Mick's coaching future at the end of this season. IMO this disaster of a season thus far, with Sydney and Adelaide to follow leading to the break, warrants acceleration of the decision-making process.

It is obvious now that the decision will be to not renew Mick's contract at the end of the season. That's only because we know how pathetic our performances will be against Sydney and Adelaide. If, somehow, the players actually started to look like they had ever played with each other before (they don't even have to win) it could still theoretically be different come the bye.

The MM SEN interview was a truculent and spiteful affair in the true Notmyfaulthouse style. Truculent because the only analysis of our poor performances this year is that we have had injuries. FFS every team has had injuries. The 22 picked should have been fit. The 22 picked should have played to a game plan accepted by every player on the list. The 22 picked should have team values like tackling and chasing and running to position regardless of who the 22 are. Injuries are only an excuse if, the 22 who play to the game plan are not good enough to make it a win. Injuries do not excuse the absence of any coherent game plan since 2013.

At no stage has MM ever come clean with members and supporters as to what his "game plan" actually is. What is it he is telling the players to do on the footy field? Which players are playing to the game plan and which players are not? The only clue MM has ever given is in his praising of one player or another. After the disgraceful "witches hat" game against Ess last year MM praised White as one who did well. I have since reviewed that game and can only assume from White's complete lack of presence on the backline (where he was nominally playing) that being "witches hats" must have been the game plan.

Spiteful because the Eddie Betts "revelation" was calculated to do damage to Triggs (who was at Adelaide at the time) and thus to Carlton.

MM won't go voluntarily. This was known before the SEN interview but he confirmed it. The only decision the Board should announce during the Bye is that, at the end of season 2015 MM will depart as coach. Sacking him (without cause) mid-season is just vindictive when he, MM, doesn't want to go. After all, what has changed now that means MM no longer has the confidence of the Board that wasn't painfully obvious 12 months ago?

We have 1/2 a season to find a new coach, hopefully hired on a one year contract. Some, perhaps many, posters think offering only a 1 year contract is stupid and that quality candidates will not apply. I hope so. Anyone that says "I need the confidence of a 2 or 3 year contract to up and move and become the coach of Carlton" is someone I do not want as coach. Why? Because I only want a coach that is jumping at the chance to coach at the level, wants to coach at Carlton even if only for one year, and is confident that given a one year contract the coach will impress sufficient to then being offered a longer contract.

Most importantly, offering the coach a one year contract makes it plain we do not expect miracles. If we did we would offer a longer contract. What we DO expect is progress. Progress measured by players being developed to take on or take over roles in the team where a quality player is missing or is retiring. Progress measured by an increased fitness and strength on the footy field. Progress being measured by the absence of injured players not changing the shape or style of the game being played. Progress being measured by a game plan that exploits the player's strengths and minimises their weaknesses.

He will be sacked today...

Board meeting soon...

On a side note, I'm disgusted in my club and the board, that's both sides of it, have the clubs blood on its hands and should resign as well...

Mick has been crippled by the left wing of the board and hopefully he has his chance to say what he really thinks... So every one of the Carlton supporters out there get to hear how poor our club is being run...

I agree that one of the silver linings to come out of this may be the ability of Malthouse to open up about the inner workings of the Carlton Football Club.

My brother is good friends with Anthony Koutoufides and I've heard from both Anthony himself and consistently from my brother this year that the culture has been this poor for a long time now. In fact that is why Anthony has nothing to do with the club, as he found himself treated poorly by a team that he gave everything to. If you're willing to do that to an absolute Carlton legend, then obviously there is some absolutely awful culture present.

He had suffered some pretty significant depression post playing career and was given no support from the club in any form. He told the club on multiple occasions that he was interested in providing assistance to the club in the form of coaching or through other avenues, and they basically gave no effort whatsoever to try and make that work. That to me is deplorable and shameful.

Last edited:
I like him but he has a lot of baggage, his dad laid the foundations for this debacle (though we have had 15 years to fix it).

An Ian Dicker type who doesn't need the ego trip would be perfect.

Tom Elliott? No. You may as well give the club back to Jack. Tom still gives Jack 30 minutes every week on his radio show so he can tell everyone how he knows this person or that person.

I hope the club gives him the "what for" in their sacking announcement. Mick has done nothing but try to protect his own brand in the last few weeks, and his done nothing but trash it.

For sundry BF posters and lurkers who have been swept up in the Mick Malthouse Messiah myth you are now experiencing REALITY bumping up into your fantasy. This is painful but it is progress.:) Various of you are on your separate levels of grief, I am amazed that some are still in denial.

For those of us who long ago realised that MM was a has been and had NO HOPE for this season or beyond it with MM as coach, yesterday's MLG email comes as a first sprinkling of winter rain from which hope for the Mighty Blues might once again exist.

MLG has consistently stated that MM would coach us this year. He previously said that the Board would decide Mick's coaching future at the end of this season. IMO this disaster of a season thus far, with Sydney and Adelaide to follow leading to the break, warrants acceleration of the decision-making process.

It is obvious now that the decision will be to not renew Mick's contract at the end of the season. That's only because we know how pathetic our performances will be against Sydney and Adelaide. If, somehow, the players actually started to look like they had ever played with each other before (they don't even have to win) it could still theoretically be different come the bye.

The MM SEN interview was a truculent and spiteful affair in the true Notmyfaulthouse style. Truculent because the only analysis of our poor performances this year is that we have had injuries. FFS every team has had injuries. The 22 picked should have been fit. The 22 picked should have played to a game plan accepted by every player on the list. The 22 picked should have team values like tackling and chasing and running to position regardless of who the 22 are. Injuries are only an excuse if, the 22 who play to the game plan are not good enough to make it a win. Injuries do not excuse the absence of any coherent game plan since 2013.

At no stage has MM ever come clean with members and supporters as to what his "game plan" actually is. What is it he is telling the players to do on the footy field? Which players are playing to the game plan and which players are not? The only clue MM has ever given is in his praising of one player or another. After the disgraceful "witches hat" game against Ess last year MM praised White as one who did well. I have since reviewed that game and can only assume from White's complete lack of presence on the backline (where he was nominally playing) that being "witches hats" must have been the game plan.

Spiteful because the Eddie Betts "revelation" was calculated to do damage to Triggs (who was at Adelaide at the time) and thus to Carlton.

MM won't go voluntarily. This was known before the SEN interview but he confirmed it. The only decision the Board should announce during the Bye is that, at the end of season 2015 MM will depart as coach. Sacking him (without cause) mid-season is just vindictive when he, MM, doesn't want to go. After all, what has changed now that means MM no longer has the confidence of the Board that wasn't painfully obvious 12 months ago?

We have 1/2 a season to find a new coach, hopefully hired on a one year contract. Some, perhaps many, posters think offering only a 1 year contract is stupid and that quality candidates will not apply. I hope so. Anyone that says "I need the confidence of a 2 or 3 year contract to up and move and become the coach of Carlton" is someone I do not want as coach. Why? Because I only want a coach that is jumping at the chance to coach at the level, wants to coach at Carlton even if only for one year, and is confident that given a one year contract the coach will impress sufficient to then being offered a longer contract.

Most importantly, offering the coach a one year contract makes it plain we do not expect miracles. If we did we would offer a longer contract. What we DO expect is progress. Progress measured by players being developed to take on or take over roles in the team where a quality player is missing or is retiring. Progress measured by an increased fitness and strength on the footy field. Progress being measured by the absence of injured players not changing the shape or style of the game being played. Progress being measured by a game plan that exploits the player's strengths and minimises their weaknesses.

Good points well made.

The detachment Mick Malthouse is displaying in terms of attributing a lack of success this season to injuries (which have actually been more insignificant than last year, and way less detrimental than injuries to other clubs) is bizarre. He has accepted basically no fault for this situation whatsoever, and seems to be completely unaware of the fact that is game plan is the most predictable system in the entire AFL. Case in point, my girlfriend. She NEVER watches football, ever. She watched one game with me this season, and the first question she asked was 'Why do your players keep kicking the ball to the same place over and over?'. If it is that obvious, then it has no place in the modern game.

Yes, confidence can be attributed to that. But Malthouse has refused to modify his system at all. Now he is blaming other factors and apportioning blame to basically every other factor but to himself.

It smacks of a person who is desperate to maintain their reputation at the end of their career. He won't ever coach again in a senior position, we all know that. It's just sad that he's holding our dear club to hostage in order to try and keep the image that he was forcibly removed from the Blues, rather than walking away like his stubborn personality refuses to let him do.

I also agree with your point re: One year contract. Yes Carlton is at its lowest point possibly ever, but it's an extremely powerful club with a fantastic history and you would hope that there are coaches desperate to revive it and perhaps go into the history books for achieving more than just a successful team, but of reviving an entire culture and club.

Really disappointing that the club has let it get to this. Its just a s**t look all round and makes the club look so amateurish.
Mick on SEN looking for excuses and taking pot shots this morning had me shaking my head numerous times....
Everyone knows he'll be moved on so just ******* do it and stop dragging it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the board is meeting, I have a suggested agenda:

1. Motion to sack Malthouse effective immediately, replaced by Laidley for the remainder of the season.

2. Motion to appoint a panel of five SMEs to interview and appoint the coach for season 2016.

3. Motion to dissolve the current board effective immediately, with voting to take place to instate a new board upon return from the bye.

/End meeting.

Tree-hugging Bolshevik conspiracy, surely not. :confused: Befitting a guy whose name is Go Reds! ;)

Haha, I see what you've done there!!

Unfortunately the board division is very real and will not be going away anytime soon...

Our president is aligned with one half of the board, hence the appointment of Silvani.

The only way forward is to clean the board out...!

That really sums it up, doesn't it. Two years ago and these were the youngest guys who should be coming into their breakout years. Out of that entire group of 16 players, four of them are left. 75% of young draftees gone, Watson will be gone and Buckley is struggling at this point in his career to get continuity.

Lucas and Bootsma were absolute howlers in particular.

When it's laid out like that, it's really not hard to see why things are as dire as they are.

Furthermore, if you look at the age group of players who should be around 26-28 years old and playing their best footy, almost all of those players are gone too.

The points of my post was to show that Ratten didn't have it any easier than Mick but got results. Yes, he had a young Murphy and Gibbs to come on strong in 2011 but Malthouse had those guys in their prime and couldn't do anything with them.

Good points well made.

The detachment Mick Malthouse is displaying in terms of attributing a lack of success this season to injuries (which have actually been more insignificant than last year, and way less detrimental than injuries to other clubs) is bizarre. He has accepted basically no fault for this situation whatsoever, and seems to be completely unaware of the fact that is game plan is the most predictable system in the entire AFL. Case in point, my girlfriend. She NEVER watches football, ever. She watched one game with me this season, and the first question she asked was 'Why do your players keep kicking the ball to the same place over and over?'. If it is that obvious, then it has no place in the modern game.

Yes, confidence can be attributed to that. But Malthouse has refused to modify his system at all. Now he is blaming other factors and apportioning blame to basically every other factor but to himself.

It smacks of a person who is desperate to maintain their reputation at the end of their career. He won't ever coach again in a senior position, we all know that. It's just sad that he's holding our dear club to hostage in order to try and keep the image that he was forcibly removed from the Blues, rather than walking away like his stubborn personality refuses to let him do.

I also agree with your point re: One year contract. Yes Carlton is at its lowest point possibly ever, but it's an extremely powerful club with a fantastic history and you would hope that there are coaches desperate to revive it and perhaps go into the history books for achieving more than just a successful team, but of reviving an entire culture and club.

Does your girlfriend have any interest in coaching us next year.:)

Everyone is absolving Mick of all responsibility for our list.
He turned over 50% of it. He has been head coach for 3 years. At some point the excuse of "omg the list is sooo bad it's not Mick's fault!" is pointless.
And that's relevant how?

It's not like Mick can just recruit 20 ready made footballers in three years.

You don't think past recruiters are to blame for the fact that we have nowhere near enough tall talent, and not enough depth through the middle?

Mick has instead had to compensate for previous mistakes and in three years he isn't going to get them all right. Hasn't been anywhere near as bad as people make out.

The massive hole comes from the drafting failures of 2008-2011. Those are the type of players that should've been the core of the side by now. Instead Mick has had to try and find these types from limited options.

The young players he's bought in as replacements cannot be relied upon yet, so again how is he to blame?

The points of my post was to show that Ratten didn't have it any easier than Mick but got results. Yes, he had a young Murphy and Gibbs to come on strong in 2011 but Malthouse had those guys in their prime and couldn't do anything with them.

I agree with that too, but my points are still valid. Regardless of the quality of coach you are, it's very difficult to inherent a list that is at its most unbalanced at arguably the two most crucial ages for players. This occurred in BOTH regimes and I think goes to a long way to explain the situation we face now.

Both we're given difficult tasks, but both approached them in different ways. We're now in the situation where Mick won't even play most of the young players brought in during his term, creating an even bigger imbalance.

Both are at fault for refusing to revitalise the forward line adequately too.

Does your girlfriend have any interest in coaching us next year.:)

Ha! She won't watch Hawthorn or Fremantle play, so imagine the chance of her trying to watch a full four quarters of us this season. Personally, I've struggled to do it at times it's been that unwatchable and/or predictable.

I actually agree with most of what you said Windhover - but I just don't think a one year contract would make any sense at all.
We won't attract any decent coach if we only offer them a 1 year deal. And what can you really achieve in 1 year anyway.

I agree with that too, but my points are still valid. Regardless of the quality of coach you are, it's very difficult to inherent a list that is at its most unbalanced at arguably the two most crucial ages for players. This occurred in BOTH regimes and I think goes to a long way to explain the situation we face now.

Both we're given difficult tasks, but both approached them in different ways. We're now in the situation where Mick won't even play most of the young players brought in during his term, creating an even bigger imbalance.

Both are at fault for refusing to revitalise the forward line adequately too.

I do not want to get drawn into a Ratts debate (he is, nearly, 2 coaches ago after all), but this is just baseless. When Ratts started he had Kennedy, Fev and Waite. He lost the first two and started the rebuild of a very successful replacement forwardline with Garlett, Yarran, Henderson, Walker, Caz and Bell.

My brother is good friends with Anthony Koutoufides and I've heard from both Anthony himself and consistently from my brother this year that the culture has been this poor for a long time now.

I heard this exact thing in '00. From someone very close to the club at the time.

He told me back then that the culture at the club was absolute rubbish; basically it was dominated by players with a 'me first' attitude. The concept of team was non existent. It was more about the size of your contract than actually playing for one each other. A lot of entitled selfish blokes with massive ego's. Contracts for favorites were blowing out (many as it turned out, over the salary cap with outside deals), and blokes were scrambling to get bigger and better bits of the pie. It was dog eat dog within the club (this tied into the rift that drive Hamill out when he got in the dust up with Elliott).

Then the whole thing came down like a house of cards.

Not long afterwards Collins came in and sat the players down and made them take forced pay cuts to keep the club afloat. Kouta wrote about this time in his book, noting that there was a basic mini-revolt of the players when this happened, and that the players were trying to wag the dog with respect to Pagan (who they resented for his hard leadership style). Following that we had the dark years where a few gifted individuals were allowed to do basically as they please, and blind eye was given to anything they did off field (cough*Fevola*cough).

Since all this went down, I've still yet to see a footy side that places team first (barring a few individuals with the right mindset - I'm looking at you Kade Simpson you ******* legend). The whole team still reeks of a 'me first' attitude and not team first. Players are too focused on their own performances and not on the performance of the team. This is why this talk of a rebuild has them all absolutely s**t scared; we've already seen two players (Murph and Gibbs) come out and declare that they've sought reassurances from the club that they wont be traded, and Malthouse come out and say that the talk of rebuilding has left blokes feeling like they're under the pump (read: the players are scared).

They players are still worrying about themselves first, and the team second. It's been a cancer within the club for decades now.

From where I sit, this is indicative of the problem we see now. Whenever things get hard, the players switch into self defense mode, go into their shells and literally stop playing as a team. They did it under Pagan, they did it under Ratten and now they're doing it under Mick.

Until this culture gets changed (make team first a non-negotiable and draft as many Selwood types as we can) we will be doomed to be a middle ranked team of downhill skiers and flat track bullies at best, and an incoherent side full of self interested and over payed footballers at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back