Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
So who plays at the old VFA grounds?

Here's some venues with home clubs:

Brunswick - North Old Boys/St. Patricks Ballarat (VAFA Premier C)
Camberwell - Old Scotch (VAFA Premier)
Prahran - Old Xaverians (VAFA Premier) and Prahran/Assumption College Kilmore (VAFA Division 1)
Oakleigh - Oakleigh Dragons (TAC Cup)
Coburg - Victorian Women's Football League
Springvale - Springvale Districts (SFL)
Brighton - Victorian Amateur Football Association
Caulfield - Caulfield (SFL)
Yarraville - Yarraville/Seddon (WRFL)

Preston Bullants juniors and their senior arm Northern Blues Amateurs both play at Preston

finders

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 24, 2004
Brighton
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Cricket,Olympics,F1GP,Tennis,Boxing
Northcote's ground is still relatively intact since the VFA days.. The Bill Lawry Stand is still there and is about as big as the main 1 at Brunswick. Mordialloc is unchanged.. still has the main stand and scoreboard. Berwick's Edwin Flak reserve is a spectacular ground cut into the side of a steep hill and offers views of the Dandenong Ranges from the terraced/social club side (The CaseyCardinia grand final is held there). Oakleigh and Camberwell's grounds were once great with heaps of terracing and 2 grandstands each but I believe both have been redeveloped.

The Bill Lawry Stand at Westgarth Oval Northcote is nowhere as big as Brunswick which was one of the biggest at the VFA grounds along with Coburg, Frankston and North Port.

All the rest were pretty ordinary as far as size goes in fact the Grandstands at popular grounds like Sandringham,Oakleigh,Prahran,Geelong West,Morrabbin,Mordialloc,Dandenong,Camberwell,
Yarraville ,Preston, Box Hill ,Caulfield,Sunshine and Brighton were very small and this was the main difference between the old VFL and VFA Grounds.

Pacman77

Rookie
Jul 11, 2010
Narre Warren
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
South Melbourne F.C
The Bill Lawry Stand at Westgarth Oval Northcote is nowhere as big as Brunswick which was one of the biggest at the VFA grounds along with Coburg, Frankston and North Port.

All the rest were pretty ordinary as far as size goes in fact the Grandstands at popular grounds like Sandringham,Oakleigh,Prahran,Geelong West,Morrabbin,Mordialloc,Dandenong,Camberwell,
Yarraville ,Preston, Box Hill ,Caulfield,Sunshine and Brighton were very small and this was the main difference between the old VFL and VFA Grounds.
Yeh you're right about Brunswick's being bigger, the Northcote one looks big because it sits on its own(and the drinks didn't help either at the time!) The stands look identical though with the heritage colour scheme. Too bad Brunswick doesn't host more higher profile games as you could fit quite a big crowd in there with 2 stands.. similar to Camberwell's ground... parking would be a nightmare though! From memory Caulfield never had a stand.. only that flat pavillion. The strangest grandstand I've ever seen would have to be Yarraville's.. looks like a wedge/boomerang and the seating is so cramped that you'd have to be under 5ft tall to sit comfortably.

Bluewing77

Draftee
Apr 11, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Frankston Oval is quite possibly one of the best grounds in the country to watch footy at. Top surface, great views of the bay, just awesome.
Love going there for the Peninsula and Nepean league Grand Finals, always packed with a great atmosphere. Generally stand on the terracing near the big scoreboard on the opposite side of the stand. Good spot as you are above the interchange benches were all the action is and is fairly elevated. Have a habbit of drinking too many cans while there though. Never forget the classic Edithvale-Aspendale V Mornington GF in 99.

cammo78

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mooroolbark FC, Arizona Cardinals
Love going there for the Peninsula and Nepean league Grand Finals, always packed with a great atmosphere. Generally stand on the terracing near the big scoreboard on the opposite side of the stand. Good spot as you are above the interchange benches were all the action is and is fairly elevated. Have a habbit of drinking too many cans while there though. Never forget the classic Edithvale-Aspendale V Mornington GF in 99.

Was at all the Mornington GF's from 1996 onwards. Old man Goosey was some sort of player.

That one in particular was a belter.

Bluewing77

Draftee
Apr 11, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was at all the Mornington GF's from 1996 onwards. Old man Goosey was some sort of player.

That one in particular was a belter.
Yep Edi-As and Mornington in those days where like Hawthorn and Essendon in the mid 80's. Three GF's in a row 98,99,2000 against each other with the Dales winning the 2nd and 3rd. 98 was a clear win for Mornington against a very young Edithvale side, 99 was a thriller and included some very controversial moments, 2000 Edithvale smashed them by 99 points. I recall celebrating mid way through the 2nd quarter. Goosey was a top player but behaved like a goose and it always went up a notch in Finals, especially in that 99 GF.

cammo78

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mooroolbark FC, Arizona Cardinals
Yep Edi-As and Mornington in those days where like Hawthorn and Essendon in the mid 80's. Three GF's in a row 98,99,2000 against each other with the Dales winning the 2nd and 3rd. 98 was a clear win for Mornington against a very young Edithvale side, 99 was a thriller and included some very controversial moments, 2000 Edithvale smashed them by 99 points. I recall celebrating mid way through the 2nd quarter. Goosey was a top player but behaved like a goose and it always went up a notch in Finals, especially in that 99 GF.

He certainly did. But jeez the poor bastard used to cop some stick. Mostly of his own doing.

Gun FF though, best I've seen in local footy.

Bluewing77

Draftee
Apr 11, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He certainly did. But jeez the poor bastard used to cop some stick. Mostly of his own doing.

Gun FF though, best I've seen in local footy.

I used to give him a fair old spray. I see him all the time down at the local Woolworths.

Will probably be back there this Sunday when Edi-As take on Bonbeach in the GF

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I went out to Port Melbourne yesterday. The recent developments by way of scoreboard and corporate facilities are excellent. I love the grandstand there.

CAM01492_zpst6aairjp.jpg

CAM01493_zpsqag9fpik.jpg

CAM01494_zpsp074pyzn.jpg

CAM01495_zpsa68fewff.jpg

CAM01496_zps5zyj4iz9.jpg

CAM01498_zpskmjcexd7.jpg

CAM01499_zpsop7u1nei.jpg

CAM01500_zpspupjqjzk.jpg

CAM01501_zpsz8xtkhy9.jpg

Dec 10, 2012
Approaching Apotheosis
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Yeh you're right about Brunswick's being bigger, the Northcote one looks big because it sits on its own(and the drinks didn't help either at the time!) The stands look identical though with the heritage colour scheme. Too bad Brunswick doesn't host more higher profile games as you could fit quite a big crowd in there with 2 stands.. similar to Camberwell's ground... parking would be a nightmare though! From memory Caulfield never had a stand.. only that flat pavillion. The strangest grandstand I've ever seen would have to be Yarraville's.. looks like a wedge/boomerang and the seating is so cramped that you'd have to be under 5ft tall to sit comfortably.

I realize its a reply to a 2 year old post but Caulfield did have a grandstand at the southern end of the ground near the cricket nets on the D.C.Bricker pavilion side in the right forward pocket looking south. It was torched around 1987 I think and never rebuilt.
24q5rba.jpg
4qsxur.jpg
. It was located to the left of the small brick building , old ticket box / ground entry at that end.

Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
I was briefly at Brighton Beach Oval, the early VFA home of the Brighton club on Sunday (not by choice, the train from Sandringham was cancelled and we had to take a bus). There wasn't much to it, even given they moved out in the 1920s (their reserves kept playing there, though).

Was interesting to walk around for a few minutes, though. Great scenery.

Derby103

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2006
Macclesfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was briefly at Brighton Beach Oval, the early VFA home of the Brighton club on Sunday (not by choice, the train from Sandringham was cancelled and we had to take a bus). There wasn't much to it, even given they moved out in the 1920s (their reserves kept playing there, though).

Yes, it is a nice spot. That raises an interesting point, too. Grounds that once hosted senior VFA games - but you wouldn't necessarily know it from looking at them today. Off the top of my head:
Cheltenham
The second oval at Glen Waverley
Buchanan Road, Berwick
McKinnon Reserve
Bentleigh
Dandenong Showgrounds
Kardinia Park
Croxton Park, Northcote
Selwyn Park, Albion

Last edited:
I heartily recommend a visit to the Preston Oval during the Northern League final series in September. It really comes alive and is probably the closest thing you'll get to suburban footy back in the day. Packed terraces, plenty of cans being supped, a big Indigenous crown when the Fitzroy stars play, plenty of ex-AFL players. And if you bring your own milk crates you can view from the path at Cramer St, with a bottle shop a 30 sec walk away for your convenience :)

Dec 10, 2012
Approaching Apotheosis
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Likewise , I was there with my friend today and took a couple of pics , * Disclaimer * I did not manipulate the numbers on the Scoreboard -

2ut3edj.jpg

aahq4o.jpg

Selwyn Park, Albion

Really? Very quiet oval these days. I did see a full on riot involving players, officials and spectators at a U18 game there once. I think it involved a Deer Park team.

stevie26

Club Legend
Mar 3, 2016
SE Asia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney women's team
Is there any other ground as windswept as Point Gellibrand oval, Williamstown? With just a steady south westerly the wind advantage was always 4 or 5 goals to the Point Gellibrand (city) end. If there was a gale it's almost impossible to score at the bay end of the ground. I don't think too many oppostion teams liked playing there in windy conditions. The slope from the centre down to the bay side of the ground must have been 2 metres as well. Great view across the bay to St Kilda though. In the VFL Whitten oval was similar with most games having a good breeze blowing to the Barkly St. end.

May 10, 2004
The Mothership
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pistons/Hammers/Sri Lanka/The Exers
Is there any other ground as windswept as Point Gellibrand oval, Williamstown? With just a steady south westerly the wind advantage was always 4 or 5 goals to the Point Gellibrand (city) end. If there was a gale it's almost impossible to score at the bay end of the ground. I don't think too many oppostion teams liked playing there in windy conditions. The slope from the centre down to the bay side of the ground must have been 2 metres as well. Great view across the bay to St Kilda though. In the VFL Whitten oval was similar with most games having a good breeze blowing to the Barkly St. end.

Only senior ground I've seen players kick the ball and have it blow back over their head.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
I visited Box Hill City Oval the other week - wanted to catch a VFL game and was at Eastlands in the morning.

The stand was a little ordinary, struggled to get an unobstructed view there, so stood out on the terracing. Terracing area was pretty good for viewing, and it was a pleasant ground to watch the game from. With only the one entrance to the ground for VFL matches, naturally the crowd tended to be in the terraced area between the function centre and the stand.

Was a nice enough ground to watch the footy from.

I got to play at Springvale's old ground at Newcomen Road this year. Surface was like carpet, and the ground reminded me a lot of East Fremantle's with the big shed style outer.

cosman123

Team Captain
May 22, 2011
Köln
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
FC Köln, Leeds United
I went out to Port Melbourne yesterday. The recent developments by way of scoreboard and corporate facilities are excellent. I love the grandstand there.

CAM01492_zpst6aairjp.jpg

CAM01493_zpsqag9fpik.jpg

CAM01494_zpsp074pyzn.jpg

CAM01495_zpsa68fewff.jpg

CAM01496_zps5zyj4iz9.jpg

CAM01498_zpskmjcexd7.jpg

CAM01499_zpsop7u1nei.jpg

CAM01500_zpspupjqjzk.jpg

CAM01501_zpsz8xtkhy9.jpg
Great memories.. Back when I lived in Melbourne before moving to Germany I had some of the best times when living on Montague street. One of the best grounds to watch the footy at, period :)

Back