Maxwell110

Premiership Player
May 29, 2011
batcave
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
sc freiburg
So the LG G4 was announced about a week an a half ago now and a lot of reviews and news has been rolling out. I understand that it's now the phone for everyone, but it's looking like a pretty good phone.

It's got a nice screen, not as great as the GS6 screen, but still pretty good. I do personally prefer LCD over SAMOLED, but I'm not sure if that'll be a common thought.

The Snapdragon 808 is looking like a good choice, the 810 throttles and ends up having worse performance that the 808 anyway. I hope Qualcomm does a better job with their SOCs for all those buying a new phone next year. Not as good as the Exynos though....

The camera looks like it's on par with the GS6 in automatic mode, the GS6 is better in some photos and the G4 is better in others and for others it's personal preference. The GS6 just tends to take warmer photos which is something I don't personally enjoy too much. The manual mode looks amazing though and being able to increase the shutter speed is so good, I kind of want to but a pixelstick and get into long exposure photos with my DSLR and G4. The OIS looks a bit weird on videos, but it's not too weird at all. Also, the microphone is a bit average in videos, but I don't use it too much so it's fine for me. The front camera is looking good too, I don't like front camera having too wide of an angle

The battery has been getting pretty good reviews, everyone needs to remember that SOT differs for each person. Quickcharge 2.0 will be in the release models! I was fine without it, but having it will be very nice. You'll need to buy a new wall plug for it, but it's better than nothing. Would be nice if a Quickcharge 2.0 charger was included. If Quickcharge does degrade the battery quicker, well the G4 has a replaceable battery to quickly fix that. Being able to quickly swap batteries on a day with heavy usage is also a good thing to be able to do. Not everyone cares for it, but I hate not having a replaceable battery in my M7. Also wireless charging will be available on other covers, but it's be nice if it was included on the one that comes with the phone. Personally, I'll be stocking up on different covers for different occasions. I'll get the black leather one, but I'll also get the folio cover and hopefully some other leather covers.

Being able to use an SD card is a biiig feature for me and the only reason I didn't already get an S6. If I got the S6 I'd need to get the 128 GB model but I can't do that financially. With the G4 I get 32 GB out of the box and just get a larger SD card whenever I need. Also, being able to shoot in RAW it'll be nice to store them on an SD card. The speaker also sounds like it's decent enough, but I'll miss having them on the front.

I spent way too much time writing this when I have other things I should be focusing on...
Anyway, what are other people's thoughts on the G4? It's definitely going to be my next phone, which I did not expect.

I'm not in the market for an upgrade yet, but I'll be keeping my eye on it. I'm glad they've stuck with the removable battery and external storage, I know Google doesn't like it and most consumers don't care about it, but they're features I'd prefer to have in my phone if possible. GSMArena is usually my source for mobile reviews so it'll be interesting to read about how they go with it, their reviews are pretty comprehensive.

I've been trying to wait for the G4 but every week the price on the G3 drops - it's down to $380ish for a grey import... My cheapskate side is battling my tech side

If you are going to get the G3 make sure you get the 3Gb Ram version.

Been playing around with my S5's camera and it sucks compared to say a note 4 / S6. But I think the G3 has a good enough camera.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back