Malthouse claims Trigg admits Adelaide had Betts 'stitched up' with 18 months to go on his contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Just heard Trigg's explanation again - he did put it into context - in short, 'stitched up' was in reference to the extensive process AFC went through in weighing up Bett's worth(not money worth) to the AFC, and coming to the decision, yes, that's what the club needed.

It wasn't 'stitched up' as in they had Betts agreeing to come to AFC, nor that he'd signed with the AFC.

So it took an "extensive process" to see that Adelaide desperately needed a small forward who could actually kick goals. Jesus Christ.

to continue Trigg's "I'm probably on the back 9" metaphor:

AR-141119587.jpg

r0_0_1024_576_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Ok we got Mcdimwit sacked we need to get Rowie axed now. What a clown. Only a deadest moron could carry on about Malthouse and Betts the way his is. He wouldn't lie! Why sack him, what a gutless board! haha you are the stupidest link Stephen.

Agreed, but he's not wrong with the bolded part.

Ok we got Mcdimwit sacked we need to get Rowie axed now. What a clown. Only a deadest moron could carry on about Malthouse and Betts the way his is. He wouldn't lie! Why sack him, what a gutless board! haha you are the stupidest link Stephen.

Rowe is a sycophant like a lot of sports broadcasters. Why do you think Essendon cant do no wrong in the eyes of Mark Robinson.

I also think Rowe is trying to bleed the audience ratings dry by extracting every last drop he can out of it. Malthouse probably did get told by Trigg that information as Trigg clarified, however I think Mick has shown himself up to be a little less smart on this issue than what you would expect. If Mick bothered to research anything, he would have discovered Betts was restricted and couldn't be pre bought.

The extensive process I took as referring to the value of Betts (and other small forwards). Sounded a bit like some Moneyball type number crunching
"Show of hands, who thinks Eddie Betts is better than Jared Patrenko? Everyone, OK, job well done, let's break for lunch"

Manager denying it

He would wouldn't he?

I don't think Mick's a liar. He's just not that sort of bloke.

The only question is whether Triggy was telling the truth or not. He might have been tooting his own horn, trying to play the big man. But I don't doubt he said it.

Hard to express how pissed we'll all be if he lands us in more s**t with AFL house from beyond the grave. That takes talent, Michael Scott/David Brent type talent

The extensive process I took as referring to the value of Betts (and other small forwards). Sounded a bit like some Moneyball type number crunching

That's exactly what Adelaide did when evaluating who was the best small forward around for the dollar - and the answer was a clear unequivocal Eddie Betts.

It just so happens he isn't just the Moneyball small forward. He's the best. :thumbsu:

Great movie. Still wish people wouldn't try to apply it to aussie rules.

I can accept that recruiting a top tier player is a complex process if Trigg can accept he doesn't know what the term 'stitch up' actually means. Why would he talk about the Betts deal with Malthouse? Where's his sense of discretion?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NED GUY:

“It is 100 per cent not true. I am not sure where the confusion lies but I am pretty sure Steven Trigg wouldn’t have said that to Mick,’’ he said.

“It just didn’t happen. He didn’t agree to it until after the season finished. I find it pretty disappointing that he would question Eddie’s intent on the footy, saying he played cautiously.

Said the guy who would be deregistered if it were true.

If we lost picks for this; that's it. Adelaide United will get my membership.

But i suspect this will end as a "meh" moment.

He would wouldn't he?

I don't think Mick's a liar. He's just not that sort of bloke.

The only question is whether Triggy was telling the truth or not. He might have been tooting his own horn, trying to play the big man. But I don't doubt he said it.

Hard to express how pissed we'll all be if he lands us in more s**t with AFL house from beyond the grave. That takes talent, Michael Scott/David Brent type talent

Trigg has explained what he meant by his comments to Malthouse, Eddie's Manager has denied it, the AFL are not going to investigate it - but you believe Mick, the bitter sacked coach seeking revenge on his arch-enemy Trigg.

FFS. :rolleyes:

"Show of hands, who thinks Eddie Betts is better than Jared Patrenko? Everyone, OK, job well done, let's break for lunch"
Sure, but how much is he worth? How much should we pay him compared to how much we should pay a midfielder or defender? More to it than just thinking, yeah Eddie is good.

Paying overs is not paying more than what Carlton think he is worth if you think his real value is more than what Carlton (and others) think.

N
Even the fact Trigg said anything about his prior life in Adelaide to Carlton personal is beyond words just stupidity and the very reason he was a cancer at our club
so you have never mentioned how you went about things at your work place when you start a new job. Maybe listen to the explanation in the press conference before you draw conclusions next time.

Trigg has explained what he meant by his comments to Malthouse

Well that's alright then. Not much of a ******* denial is it?

Eddie's Manager has denied it

Well it's not like he's in the firing line or anything now is it?

the AFL are not going to investigate it

Now that you put it like that! :D

but you believe Mick, the bitter sacked coach seeking revenge on his arch-enemy Trigg.

FFS. :rolleyes:

FFS indeed ;)

Mick was also having a whinge the other week about losing Garlett and went as far to say that Carlton was a victim of FA and lost its players to top clubs

Honestly Mick cut the spin and deflection, both players did not go to top 8 sides and both players were not wanted at Carlton

A bitter end to a career from a bitter man

well if he was signed 18 months ago it would explain why people thought he was overpaid. His 2013 was awful but he was one of if not the best small forward in 2010/11/12.

It wasn't that simple, or shouldn't have been. While the deficiencies with Petrenko were obvious, they would have examined their options with a number of the league's small forwards before settling on Betts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back