Malthouse sacked - Interim coach John Barker

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Mark Stevens, he got himself large out of this. Now watch him try to target another coach to keep the spotlight shining.
Richmond have 6 Friday night games for the rest of the year.

There next 4 games are the Dream Time on a Saturday night then Freo, West Coast and Sydney all on Friday nights (with a bye in there).

If they produce bad results in the next month then Stevo will be all over Hardwick.

This.

Robbo asks a question - presumably wanting an honest answer. Gets one and doesn't like it so has a hissy fit.

Hats off to Goddard. I never liked him much but I have turned around my opinion totally after seeing him put his views on 360. And **** off Robbo - you asked the man his opinion FFS!
always liked Goddard. Even at the Saints. seems to rise above the petty s*** that the media love to lap up.

How is this the medias fault? Plainly ridiculous.
Malthouse went to the media and started throwing grenades at the board. If he thinks he is infallible and untouchable - then good riddance.
Mick knew he was dead anyway, it was Carlton's stupid fault for not sacking him yesterday after basically telling him you are gone in 2 weeks. Not sacking him yesterday was basically asking for this mornings interview.

Probably a naive question but an honest one. Does the AFL have the power to dismantle an AFL club's board and 'select' it's own - kind of like the Roos coaching job but on a bigger scale? I just can't see us turning anything around until the current board (puppets) and their behind-the-scenes power brokers are gone. The club is just a plaything for their amusement. They might be good in business but they know * all about running a football club and refuse to move into the 21st century. And it seems they've solidified their positions and made themselves extremely difficult for outsiders to remove.

I fear they will be the death of this club. Unless the AFL intervenes quite literally I really do.

always liked Goddard. Even at the Saints. seems to rise above the petty s*** that the media love to lap up.
Honest - the man is growing on me. I think I had a thing against the saints when they were contenders (no reason or excuse - one of those things), these days I like seeing the Saints get up for a surprise win. And I'm v impressed by Goddards honesty in the media. Breath of fresh air.

I don't think we do.

Murphy, Gibbs, Henderson, Cripps, Menzel, Tuohy, Simpson, Buckley, Docherty, Bell, Walker, Jamison, Thomas, Yarran, Kreuzer are good group of players.

We are badly missing a full forward and center half forward in that group and need to get them. We have no forward line is the problem

Your playing group have no heart. That's the problem.

Richmond have 6 Friday night games for the rest of the year.

There next 4 games are the Dream Time on a Saturday night then Freo, West Coast and Sydney all on Friday nights (with a bye in there).

If they produce bad results in the next month then Stevo will be all over Hardwick.
The difference is that carlton have what should be a competitive list, and a culture that expects winning. The decade and a half they have had since 99 is not something Carlton is used to.
Not getting the most out of this list, and one decent finals showing is not tolerated by Carlton. Its a good standard to set, but they go about it wrong.

And really, it should have nothing to do with Friday nights, but the success of a 3, 4, 5, 6 + plan at its end, and whether investing further is wise.

Carlton's action v Richmond's actions are strange, because they are polar opposites but to the same end.
The Tigers relentlessly back a coach who will pull a rabbit from the hat at crucial times, but never goes beyond a good showing
The Blues will jump from coach to coach without the patience to let a system get in place and a plan come to fruition.

Honest - the man is growing on me. I think I had a thing against the saints when they were contenders (no reason or excuse - one of those things), these days I like seeing the Saints get up for a surprise win. And I'm v impressed by Goddards honesty in the media. Breath of fresh air.
I understand. for me its North. :p Except it will never go away :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres nothing wrong with the board.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/club/board

I could do without two or three but overall they all serve their purpose with a strong marketing/commercial presence.

This is a Mick Malthouse problem not a board problem.

It was Kernahan and Swann that appointed him.

And who appointed Trigg who has such a sterling track record, as Adelaide fans could tell you? On current evidence they're going to appoint Hird to replace Malthouse. Trigg should have been persona non grata in the AFL after the Adelaide gig, and I don't think it's any coincidence that the club has fractured once Malthouse's supporters in Swann and Kernahan were forced out. Background politics have Carlton on its knees for the third time in the past 15 years. To blame the coach AGAIN, is just the definition of insanity as the quote goes. Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.

Carlton don't even have a strong marketing/commercial presence so the board doesn't have that going for them, they're bleeding money and for years even before Malthouse with the popular Ratten as the coach, members haven't been signing up considering the large fan base. What's the point of having all these billionaires around the club if Carlton is becoming less sustainable and less competitive by the minute? AFL has to step in seeing as its fans just accept all this crap.

What did Robbo ask Goddard? What did Goddard reply with?
I don't have foxtel - thanks mate.

Gerard - What do you make of the Carlton events today?

Goddard - It's tough to say, there's always two sides to the story, I think the treatment on Mick has been unwarranted or pretty harsh.

Robbo - In what way?

Goddard - Well for you guys to sit there and have an opinion on why he should be sacked or if he shouldn't be sacked. I think it's pretty tough. I just think to be in his shoes it would be really tough. And apart from that, I don't know, I've really got no comment to make because I don't know what's going on, there's always two sides. You guys, unless you're inner sanctum and you can make comment because you know what's going on inside, but we're pretty quick to judge I think.

Gerard - How have you read the day Jordan?

Lewis - Well I think everyone knew it was coming, it was just a matter of when.

Robbo - Why did you think it was coming?

Lewis - Well I read the paper believe it or not. I think their win / loss record obviously adds to that and the pressure was mounting, so I think it was inevitable it was going to happen pretty soon because it probably wasn't good for the club and it wasn't good for Mick Malthouse or the players because there was just so much media around it. The pressure just built I think and a decision had to be made.

Robbo - So I just picture Alistair Clarkson throwing bombs at the Hawthorn board, do you think Alistair Clarkson would survive?

Lewis - Well I don't think any coach would survive

Robbo - Exactly!

Lewis - Ultimately the board makes the final decision

Robbo - You pick a fight with your football club board and you lose.

Lewis - It's probably not the best fight to pick.

Robbo - Mmmm

Gerard then asks Goddard about Dustin Fletcher's 400th and they all have a chat about it and talk about having the coach on the bench on Sunday.

Robbo - I want to go back (directed at Goddard), do you think the media treatment, or us talking about Mick Malthouse every night was too strong? Do you think we step over the line?

Goddard - Not so much step over the line, but I think you guys do realise it, but you guys have such an influence on public perception that you can sway public perception and then I think you can build pressure within football clubs to make decisions and that's why I'm very proud of Essendon, the board and the footy club for sticking by James, and .............. (Robbo cuts him off with a disbelieving tone)

Robbo - Oh come on, that's a lie, they nearly sacked James twice

Goddard - He's still there, he's ............. (Robbo again)

Robbo - It wasn't a lie, I take that back.

Goddard - They listened to us players, and said ...........

Robbo - Don't.

Goddard - Don't. What do you guys want, who's the best to? (slightly inaudible, Robbo talking over him again). Whereas I think boards can be, boards can be pretty quick to make decisions that affects the whole footy club. But going back to my comment, yeah you guys can build pressure within footy clubs and force boards and footy clubs to make decisions, I think that's .............. (Robbo again)

Robbo - We didn't force Carlton , the media didn't force Carlton (getting animated)

Goddard - I didn't say you did, well, if you're going to write about him everyday

Robbo - That's our job, that's our job, your job is to play footy in really difficult situations

Goddard - There's no other industry in the world where you can sit there and comment on who should and shouldn't be fired

Robbo - It's not easy to do that though Brendon, it's not. It's really tough when you're dealing with a person's career and life. Everyone thinks the media just sit back and go, 'oh yeah, beauty, we'll knock that off'

Goddard - No, no, I'm just saying the influence you guys have

Robbo - We didn't influence the Malthouse sacking (in a solemn voice)

Goddard - Well just on public perception, you definitely did. I've witnessed that first hand.

Robbo - But you reckon Mick might have helped himself to a sacking with his behaviour in the last 5 days?

Goddard - I don't want to comment on what Mick should and shouldn't do.

Gerard then interrupts and brings an end to it.

Goddard remained calm throughout and Robbo was getting a bit animated with his voice and gesticulations as he's prone to do.

Robbo backpedalled on the lie comment, got defensive and conveniently forgot the months leading up to the last five days.

imo, the media lit the fire with their constant pressure and they gave it copious amounts of oxygen. Mick in the end just added the accelerant. The damage was already done.

I clicked on the HUN website today, before the sacking, and their first three articles in the sports section were all Malthouse.

Like your team did with Hird?

Loada rubbish. He had to go for thumbing his nose at management, not to mention list management, poor team selection. Sheeit, arranging Daisy Thomas' superannuation should have been enough to sack him alone
They sure showed something, but I don't think it's called resolve. LOL :)

Theres nothing wrong with the board.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/club/board

I could do without two or three but overall they all serve their purpose with a strong marketing/commercial presence.

This is a Mick Malthouse problem not a board problem.

It was Kernahan and Swann that appointed him.
You are still dreaming if you think a new coach is going to save you. Your list is the worst in the AFL.

Gerard - What do you make of the Carlton events today?

Goddard - It's tough to say, there's always two sides to the story, I think the treatment on Mick has been unwarranted or pretty harsh.

Robbo - In what way?

Goddard - Well for you guys to sit there and have an opinion on why he should be sacked or if he shouldn't be sacked. I think it's pretty tough. I just think to be in his shoes it would be really tough. And apart from that, I don't know, I've really got no comment to make because I don't know what's going on, there's always two sides. You guys, unless you're inner sanctum and you can make comment because you know what's going on inside, but we're pretty quick to judge I think.

Gerard - How have you read the day Jordan?

Lewis - Well I think everyone knew it was coming, it was just a matter of when.

Robbo - Why did you think it was coming?

Lewis - Well I read the paper believe it or not. I think their win / loss record obviously adds to that and the pressure was mounting, so I think it was inevitable it was going to happen pretty soon because it probably wasn't good for the club and it wasn't good for Mick Malthouse or the players because there was just so much media around it. The pressure just built I think and a decision had to be made.

Robbo - So I just picture Alistair Clarkson throwing bombs at the Hawthorn board, do you think Alistair Clarkson would survive?

Lewis - Well I don't think any coach would survive

Robbo - Exactly!

Lewis - Ultimately the board makes the final decision

Robbo - You pick a fight with your football club board and you lose.

Lewis - It's probably not the best fight to pick.

Robbo - Mmmm

Gerard then asks Goddard about Dustin Fletcher's 400th and they all have a chat about it and talk about having the coach on the bench on Sunday.

Robbo - I want to go back (directed at Goddard), do you think the media treatment, or us talking about Mick Malthouse every night was too strong? Do you think we step over the line?

Goddard - Not so much step over the line, but I think you guys do realise it, but you guys have such an influence on public perception that you can sway public perception and then I think you can build pressure within football clubs to make decisions and that's why I'm very proud of Essendon, the board and the footy club for sticking by James, and .............. (Robbo cuts him off with a disbelieving tone)

Robbo - Oh come on, that's a lie, they nearly sacked James twice

Goddard - He's still there, he's ............. (Robbo again)

Robbo - It wasn't a lie, I take that back.

Goddard - They listened to us players, and said ...........

Robbo - Don't.

Goddard - Don't. What do you guys want, who's the best to? (slightly inaudible, Robbo talking over him again). Whereas I think boards can be, boards can be pretty quick to make decisions that affects the whole footy club. But going back to my comment, yeah you guys can build pressure within footy clubs and force boards and footy clubs to make decisions, I think that's .............. (Robbo again)

Robbo - We didn't force Carlton , the media didn't force Carlton (getting animated)

Goddard - I didn't say you did, well, if you're going to write about him everyday

Robbo - That's our job, that's our job, your job is to play footy in really difficult situations

Goddard - There's no other industry in the world where you can sit there and comment on who should and shouldn't be fired

Robbo - It's not easy to do that though Brendon, it's not. It's really tough when you're dealing with a person's career and life. Everyone thinks the media just sit back and go, 'oh yeah, beauty, we'll knock that off'

Goddard - No, no, I'm just saying the influence you guys have

Robbo - We didn't influence the Malthouse sacking (in a solemn voice)

Goddard - Well just on public perception, you definitely did. I've witnessed that first hand.

Robbo - But you reckon Mick might have helped himself to a sacking with his behaviour in the last 5 days?

Goddard - I don't want to comment on what Mick should and shouldn't do.

Gerard then interrupts and brings an end to it.

Goddard remained calm throughout and Robbo was getting a bit animated with his voice and gesticulations as he's prone to do.

Robbo backpedalled on the lie comment, got defensive and conveniently forgot the months leading up to the last five days.

imo, the media lit the fire with their constant pressure and they gave it copious amounts of oxygen. Mick in the end just added the accelerant. The damage was already done.

I clicked on the HUN website today, before the sacking, and their first three articles in the sports section were all Malthouse.

Thanks, it sounds like Goddard handled himself really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it's the media's fault that Carlton has not won a game on Australian soil and has a s**t list. Right. :rolleyes:

Probably a naive question but an honest one. Does the AFL have the power to dismantle an AFL club's board and 'select' it's own - kind of like the Roos coaching job but on a bigger scale? I just can't see us turning anything around until the current board (puppets) and their behind-the-scenes power brokers are gone. The club is just a plaything for their amusement. They might be good in business but they know **** all about running a football club and refuse to move into the 21st century. And it seems they've solidified their positions and made themselves extremely difficult for outsiders to remove.

I fear they will be the death of this club. Unless the AFL intervenes quite literally I really do.

Different clubs are different, depending on their ownership.

I know for example, that the crows members can't vote out their own board but some can.

Toxic boards are damn hard to fix though... Someone better get the focus back on culture or we could see a repeat of Melbournes yoyoing for years to come with Catlton, which helps no one...

The D's are only just getting it sorted after the AFL shook up all the feather nesters enjoying their experinents and back slapping...

Hate Carlton more than anyone (tongue in cheek) but the poor buggers are being ripped apart by beurocracy...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back