Carlton v Claremont - who would win

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Claremont supporting West Aussie mate sent me this. A team of current AFL players who had played for the club. Obviously there's issues with injury and so on and Claremont's bench gets very thin very quickly, but onfield there is some utterly top shelf talent.

If this full side ran out against Carlton (and possibly a few other sides as well this week) I reckon the boys from the west would roll them.

B - Alan Toovey Eric McKenzie Hertier Cassius Ali Lumumba

HB - Angus Litherland Jeremy McGovern Marley Williams

C - Tom Mitchell Nat Fyfe Travis Colyer

HF - Jack Martin Jesse Hogan Josh Hill

F - Matt DeBoer Tom Lee Nathan Krakouer

Rucks - Tom Dericx Kane Mitchell Pat McGinnity

Inter - Waterman, Hamling, Barass, Powell

Imagine if Freo had that team in 1995.

Given Jesse Hogan would have been about 4 months old I think he might have struggled to have as big an impact.

I probably would have named him in a pocket rather than at CHF.

FF Jason Johannisen Mitch Clark Alex Fasolo
HF Jamie Cripps Josh Kennedy Andrew Swallow
C Rhys Palmer David Swallow Elliot Yeo
HB Garrick Ibbotson Harry Taylor Brad Sheppard
FB Cale Hooker Luke McPharlin Marco Paparone
Foll Aaron Sandilands Patrick Ryder Chris Masten

Res Jonathon Griffin Max Duffy Jarrad Jansen
Patrick Cripps Jonathon Marsh Harry Marsh

East Freo would probably roll both of them. (Zero thought given to positions above)

An interesting proposition, Boncer has a point but then again Claremont isn't an AFL team so.....whatever.

The equivalent East Freo team is pretty good actually.

Back in the day Claremont did beat Carlton in a match (circa 82).

Carlton beat us a year or two later at Claremont oval. By that time they had Wayne Blackwell and Warren Ralph playing for them. That did't help.

More recently Claremont managed to down the Northern Bullants in a Foxtel cup match. Many didn't think Claremont would win that one as the Bullants were mostly Carltons reserves team.

East Freo would probably roll both of them. (Zero thought given to positions above)

That team would obviously beat plenty of AFL teams. Stars everywhere.

But it's hardly a Claremont team. More like a team of the decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea and agree re: EF... But that order (FF at top and FB at bottom) really burns my eyes

That team would obviously beat plenty of AFL teams. Stars everywhere.

But it's hardly a Claremont team. More like a team of the decade.

Its kind of a East Freo origin side.

I thought it would be weaker now that cousins kerr and simon black are retired. But still looks ok.

EDIT - currently listed AFL players only.

Last edited:
An interesting proposition, Boncer has a point but then again Claremont isn't an AFL team so.....whatever.

Carlton beat us a year or two later at Claremont oval. By that time they had Wayne Blackwell and Warren Ralph playing for them. That did't help.

More recently Claremont managed to down the Northern Bullants in a Foxtel cup match. Many didn't think Claremont would win that one as the Bullants were mostly Carltons reserves team.
I was at that game at Claremont Oval, was a beauty. Both teams were '81 Premiers in their respective leagues.
True glory days for the Mighty Tigers!

Do they have a recruiting zone or can they just hoover up all the best young talent?

City zone and country zone I think. Country zone is around Geraldton. I may be out of touch though.

The team is made up of players whose official AFL "recruited from" team is East Freo.

It was common back then for the WAFL premiers to play against the VFL premiers about a week after the season had finished.

In 1986 the WAFL Premiers Subiaco went within a few points of defeating a full strength Hawthorn Premiership side that had defeated Carlton by 7 goals in the GF.

http://waflgoldenera.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/post-season-1986-hawthorn-fc-1811-119-d.html

Subi had the likes of Dwayne Lamb, Karl Langdon, Laurie Keene, Phil Scott, Mark Zanotti, Warren Dean, John Georgiades, Ian Dargie and Andrew MacNish that all went on to play in the VFL/WAFL, the fullback Michael Crutchfield was one of my high school phys ed teachers. I think they would have been just as competitive as West Coast had they entered the VFL in 1987.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back