Analysis Adam Goodes - the gentle art of making enemies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a Hawk member. I twittered Jordan, and let him know how I felt about his comments!
He has no right to tell me or anybody what they can say or do. We can boo whoever we want. We are entitled to our opinion, just as he is. Just don't tell us what WE should do. :oops: Just stay out of it! Will you take my advice Jordan? I am sure you won't:rolleyes:

I am a Hawk member. I twittered Jordan, and let him know how I felt about his comments!
He has no right to tell me or anybody what they can say or do. We can boo whoever we want. We are entitled to our opinion, just as he is. Just don't tell us what WE should do. :oops: Just stay out of it! Will you take my advice Jordan? I am sure you won't:rolleyes:

I'm sure he will block your username in 3,2...1

Even when they are told they dismiss it. On SEN the other night, Mark Fine had a rant about how racism was at the heart of the booing, he was then flooded with text messages from Hawthorn supporters explaining the reasons why Goodes is booed. His reaction was along the lines of 'I don't buy any of those reasons' :rolleyes:

We sure have some Muppets, no, weasels in the media. Muppets have more intelligence than Fine. I DARE him to face me and accuse me that I am a racist.He will come off second best! The media have to be very careful at what they say or write about us. One day there will be a class action for defamation. Believe me it will happen.The weasels in the media should get their facts right, BEFORE they spruik their lack of knowledge and DEFAMING the public, members etc.:oops:

All the booers need a reality check about how all this comes across. You think the media are just stirring against Hawk supporters? What do you think neutrals think about 40,000 fans of one team heckling an Aboriginal bloke from the other all game. No one is ever going to know or care that you were the one who was booing coz he caught Gibson's ankle 3 years ago.

If you're booing for non-racist reasons, I implore you: You can either accept that as a supporter you have a role in protecting the club's reputation and stop, or you can keep going and we'll be known as a racist club. It's that simple and it's your choice.

Lewis is entitled to his AFL-approved opinion and, given the faux outrage in the media over all this, I'm not surprised to hear him say that he would prefer the booing to stop, but to say he doesn't understand why Goodes is being booed is disingenuous.

As I said on another thread I dislike Goodes intensely and he is now my most disliked player but I do not boo him as I don't boo anyone much (except an ump when he makes a bad decision, or an opposition player when he does something dirty in a game) but if others want to boo him they are entitled to.

There is one sure fire why for the booing to stop. If Goodes and the media stop acknowledging it and commenting on it I can absolutely guarantee it will go away.

So let's get this straight.
We play Hawthorn in Melbourne.
95% of the Hawthorn supporters boo him at rediculous levels.
All of Australia, AFL or non AFL supporters think it is an abnormal occurence.
The media once again get onto it.
Goodes does an interview with Buddy because of the indigenous round this weekend.
He gets asked the question about the booing & says it doesn't bother him when he's playing but it upsets his family, friends & team mates (perhaps Cyril & Burgoyne included).

Think again!
How do you really think all this can stop?
It clearly doesn't matter what Goodes does or says.

It's up to the Hawthorn crowd to decide when it stops.
Racist or not racist! It is Hillbilly weird when at the ground & listening to it!

Bit concerned that people are now flaming Jordan Lewis for his comments (which quite frankly are spot on and the sort of line the club would be putting out to protect it's reputation).

Don't know if anyone has noticed but we have several indigenous players on our list.

If you will look to your left you will note my Avatar has those indigenous Hawks holding up a sign protesting the forced closures of indigenous communities. That's a political statement. It's about their communities and who they are. This is Australia and last time I checked they had every right to do that.

I ran into Mrs Burgoyne with the kids (they live locally) - I guessed it was her as the kids had hawk no9 jumpers on and they looked like Shaun. We chatted as our kids played - I told her that as a Hawthorn supporter I was really proud of that picture of Shaun, Cyril, Brad and Jed standing up for their communities. She replied that Shaun would be thrilled that a Hawk Supporter would feel that way.

Under Al Clarkson our club has made incredible in roads into accepting indigenous players and them accepting us. Chance Bateman, Lance Franklin, Mark Williams, Shaun Burgoyne, Brad Hill and Cyril Rioli are all premiership players with the Hawthorn football club. Not all indigenous recruits are going to make it but I think we have established a great culture at our club for them to come to. I think that is the point we should be making and something we should be proud of

So let's get this straight.
We play Hawthorn in Melbourne.
95% of the Hawthorn supporters boo him at rediculous levels.
All of Australia, AFL or non AFL supporters think it is an abnormal occurence.
The media once again get onto it.
Goodes does an interview with Buddy because of the indigenous round this weekend.
He gets asked the question about the booing & says it doesn't bother him when he's playing but it upsets his family, friends & team mates (perhaps Cyril & Burgoyne included).

Think again!
How do you really think all this can stop?
It clearly doesn't matter what Goodes does or says.

Racist or not racist! It is Hillbilly weird when at the ground & listening to it!

Hey, mate, you're a Swan supporter, so we don't want your opinion.
Perhaps you're just trolling

Why don't you go back to your own site.

What is wrong with Jordan coming out and saying ' I have been with Hawthorn for 10 years, the supporters have been nothing but brilliant and never have I experienced any form of racism with them, whilst I don't agree with booing I also know that from my experience racism is not apart of our supporters culture'.

Jordan is a champion of the club, his football talent is without question but his attempts to show some intellect and portray an individual who is a political choir boy is down right embarrassing.

1 Like does not do this post justice.

Just as when Lewis threw Lake under the bus last year, he's done exactly the same to our supporter base.
And if players are afraid to tell the truth, then what the heck are they going on shows like 360 for and getting paid for their opinion?
If it's going to cause the player or club angst, DON'T DO IT!
Lewis has let the fans down for a second time in 4 weeks with his performance last night!!
Great player, ordinary leader/spokesmen for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 Like does not do this post justice.

Just as when Lewis threw Lake under the bus last year, he's done exactly the same to our supporter base.
And if players are afraid to tell the truth, then what the heck are they going on shows like 360 for and getting paid for their opinion?
If it's going to cause the player or club angst, DON'T DO IT!
Lewis has let the fans down for a second time in 4 weeks with his performance last night!!
Great player, ordinary leader/spokesmen for the club.

Let me repeat what I said elsewhere:

1. Jordan Lewis is representing the club and stating the club's views

2. If there is any suggestion that the booing is even partly racially motivated, the Club has to condemn it.

3. Well done to the Hawthorn Football Club

And the Sydney trolls posting "likes" here can f*** off.

But it is okay for you to vilify Hawthorn supporters as Hillbillys? Got it!

All the booers need a reality check about how all this comes across. You think the media are just stirring against Hawk supporters? What do you think neutrals think about 40,000 fans of one team heckling an Aboriginal bloke from the other all game. No one is ever going to know or care that you were the one who was booing coz he caught Gibson's ankle 3 years ago.
Why is this relevant?

I boo Jobe Watson as well. I work with only Aboriginal people, and have barely any contact with white people throughout the week. Does that make me a filthy racist who hates Anglo Australians?

Don't know if anyone has noticed but we have several indigenous players on our list.

And this post would actually make sense if Goodes was being racially vilified.

I wonder if I'm allowed to boo Selwood for staging and ducking for free kicks but not Lindsay Thomas in Robbo and Rebecca Wilson world???
But of course, I'm the racist... :drunk:

Last edited:
Why is this relevant?

I boo Jobe Watson as well. I work with only Aboriginal people throughout the week. Does that make me a filthy racist who hates Anglo Australians?

I'm convinced that racist Hawks fans are using Buddy's departure as an excuse for booing him too.
Am I doing this right Robbo? Rebecca? Jordan?

No no no. When our brand as a football club is in any way tarnished (whether right or wrong in our eyes) it's his responsibility as a leader to call it out. Do you realise the ramifications on a commercial level for Hawthorn if we became known as the racist club? Trust me, the strategic partners with our club don't like this kind of press...in fact none of it.

Jordan's opinion is shared amongst the whole Hawthorn playing group. He was just the one who fronted the media. Hes not having a go at us as supporters even though that's your interpretation. I can tell you that as fact
Well said Phil. My take on what Lewis said is that he would prefer to hear the Hawks supporters cheering him on rather than booing the opposition, like we did when the North fans tried to boo him after he smacked Goldstien.

And apparently a lot of people on this board don't think anyone should have an opinion that contradicts theirs as that is telling them what to do.

No no no. When our brand as a football club is in any way tarnished (whether right or wrong in our eyes) it's his responsibility as a leader to call it out. Do you realise the ramifications on a commercial level for Hawthorn if we became known as the racist club? Trust me, the strategic partners with our club don't like this kind of press...in fact none of it.

Jordan's opinion is shared amongst the whole Hawthorn playing group. He was just the one who fronted the media. Hes not having a go at us as supporters even though that's your interpretation. I can tell you that as fact

I respectfully acknowledge your opinion however I also respectfully would like to say you're full of s**t.

Jordan would have been just as well served wiping the racism card away from the supporter fan base as he would by condeming booing. In fact commercially speaking either way it would make not a iota of difference! Our club is a strong option for any commercial partners regardless of what transpired on the weekend, no BS Jordan dribbled would make any % of difference.

Lewis is a good footballer, however the less he talks to the media in any way/shape or form the better. Leave it for Hodge and Ruff ( who is actually engaging on the Tele and doesn't seem scripted).

I've booed a few players over the journey but they've all been during a particular game when they've been responsible for something vicious (Lloyd in '09 comes to mind). However, I think the act of repeatedly booing players game after game is poor and reflects badly on our club.
North fans had every right to boo Lewis & Hodge but I'd be disappointed (and surprised) if they did it next season.
The other thing that $#it$ me is when people bring up the A.O.T.Y. stuff. Goodes never sought that award but what was he supposed to do, hand it back? He used his profile to highlight some of the challenges unique to Aboriginal people which I think is a very honourable thing to do.
One last point- I'd be surprised if Josh Gibson thinks it's fair game for Goodes to still be booed 2 years on from that incident.

Bit concerned that people are now flaming Jordan Lewis for his comments (which quite frankly are spot on and the sort of line the club would be putting out to protect it's reputation).

Yep. I'm not a boo-er, but I understand why it's done and it doesn't bother me. But the levels people are going to to protect their 'right to boo' and slag off Lewis for saying exactly what any player from any club would have said in the same position is...........well.........all levels of dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back