OldLion

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2000
Melbourne - 3078 Lions
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Congrats Johnny Barker - debuted with Chris Johnson and Jarrod Molloy vs reigning premiers Essendon @ Princes Park in 1994. Famous victory !!

Also ..

Freo’s Ross Lyon, said he’d forgotten that he played against Fletcher in 1994. Lyon played against the Bomber in round two 1994, when Fitzroy met Essendon at Princes Park. Lyon was 27, playing his 111th match for the Lions. Fletcher was playing his 19th, just shy of his 19th birthday, and was already a premiership player with the Bombers.

Fitzroy beat Essendon that day by 13 points.

I remember going to that game, I think it was Tim Watson's 300th and the Fitzroy win was definitely unexpected.

So in terms of current coaches who played at Fitzroy, there is:
- Paul Roos at Melbourne (269 games with Fitzroy, 87 with Sydney)
- Ross Lyon at Freo (127 games with Fitzory, 2 with the Bears)
- John Barker as caretaker coach at Carlton (47 games with Fitzroy, 8 with the Lions, 113 with Hawthorn)
- Ken Hinkley at Port (11 games with Fitzroy, 121 with Geelong)

Are there any others? I know there are the 3 former Brisbane Lions players (Leppa and the Scott brothers), as well as a couple of former Bears players (Buckley and Eade).

I was just thinking that with Johnny Barker getting the gig about the Fitzroy factor among senior coaches, it's not a bad ratio.

Matty Primus is an assistant at the Gold Coast and 2-time Fitzroy interim coach Alan McConnell is at the Giants and Chris Johnson is a coach at the AIS.

I remember going to that game, I think it was Tim Watson's 300th and the Fitzroy win was definitely unexpected.

So in terms of current coaches who played at Fitzroy, there is:
- Paul Roos at Melbourne (269 games with Fitzroy, 87 with Sydney)
- Ross Lyon at Freo (127 games with Fitzory, 2 with the Bears)
- John Barker as caretaker coach at Carlton (47 games with Fitzroy, 8 with the Lions, 113 with Hawthorn)
- Ken Hinkley at Port (11 games with Fitzroy, 121 with Geelong)

Are there any others? I know there are the 3 former Brisbane Lions players (Leppa and the Scott brothers), as well as a couple of former Bears players (Buckley and Eade).
Brad Boyd's break-out game. Oh .. what might have been.

I won the first goal scorer competition that day as well thanks to Jeff Hogg. For a moment I thought he was brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back