Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should add, of course I'm not under the illusion that everyone, or half, or even a large minority of those who boo Goodes do so for genuinely racist reasons. Many plainly dislike him for the way he plays. Essendon fans have extra reason to take issue with him because of his comments on the drugs stuff not that long ago, too.

The one thing I'll never criticise Goodes for, though, is taking issue with the comment that night at the MCG. That it came from a 13 year old girl doesn't matter; it doesn't make her a bad person, but it does suggest that society still has a way to go when these sort of comments are thrown around so flippantly by some because it does suggest there are still ingrained attitudes that need to be overcome. He doesn't need to put up with that and cop that lying down.

The fact that the booing of him went mainstream after that is the sad bit. It doesn't mean everyone or even a vast majority who subsequently got on the booing bandwagon is a racist; it's one of those occasions where it's focused the spotlight on him and many have begun to realise that they dislike him for other reasons.

And I do think puff pieces like what we saw yesterday only add to the cycle, too.

There's a small subset who did, and still do, criticise him for taking a stance that night though; that it somehow marked him out as a flog. Or even worse, that 'ape' is not a racist term when shouted at someone of dark complexion. The first one is absolutely wrong for mine, and the second is pig ignorant.

Anyway, that's the last thing I'll say on the matter.

Well said Doss.

I've written, deleted and rewritten a post many times trying to put my thoughts out there about Goodes, but you've pretty much nailed it.

I'm certain that the vast majority of people that boo Goodes would applaud his stance on racism, but boo him for other reasons.

also this is what goodes said yesterday (or monday?)

"It doesn't affect me whilst I'm playing, but it affects my family, my partner and friends who are at the game and they are just trying to understand why," said Goodes at the launch of the AFL indigenous round in Sydney on Tuesday.

"I don't know why. You'd have to go around and ask all those Hawthorn supporters, the people who come to the ground, what their problem is with me.

"I look at it after the game and to think it's still happening is incredibly disappointing."

basically he was super polite and played innocent regarding why it happens. what a cry baby.

Adam Goodes is like a boy that cries wolf. It's not his Color, its not his indigenous background its his persona, it's his body language, it's his sooking, it's his staging, it's him trying to use his heritage to maintain his presence in the media. He should stick to playing footy and stop thinking that the world is against him, every player has been booed at some stage, even Juddy, never heard him cry about it. He should have a teaspoon of concrete and harden up.

Was transcribed pretty much word for word by another poster on the MB. I won't tag him here but this makes for good reading. I wish BJ had gone a bit harder tbh because he was dead right.
I think where Robbo said they almost sacked Hird twice probably only proved BJ's point (not that Robbo realized it mind you.

That there was intense pressure to sack Hird the finger may well have been on the trigger ready and waiting. But that they did at least calm down before the final decision and canvas more views in this case the players. They could have easily gone all the way with the pressure and sacked him. It was fueled a lot by the media, too.

I think where Robbo said they almost sacked Hird twice probably only proved BJ's point (not that Robbo realized it mind you.

That there was intense pressure to sack Hird the finger may well have been on the trigger ready and waiting. But that they did at least calm down before the final decision and canvas more views in this case the players. They could have easily gone all the way with the pressure and sacked him. It was fueled a lot by the media, too.

And even clearer that the players wanted James and nobody else. If Jim went, the players would've wanted out too.

It is no coincidence that they decide to bring the booing of Goodes up this week, as has been stated previously, he has been booed by many opposition fans regularly over the last couple of years, race has nothing to do with it, the bloke is a dickhead on and off the field and obviously people have just had enough of him. This is just a stunt to try and highlight racism during indigenous round but they have got it completely wrong in my opinion and I suspect they even know that themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if you're trying to justify a reason for a group of adults to get together to 'boo' a sportsman you probably need to remove your head from your own arse hole.

Boo'ing is about as embarrassing as human behaviour can get.

I think a lot of it is more clarifying that booing ≠ racism

Yeah booing is a bit childish, embarrassing etc to a lot of people, but it is still the right of an individual to do so if they choose. Better that than constant profanity I guess. I just think instantly equating it to something far more disgusting and unacceptable is very ordinary behaviour too.

As part of the theatre of the game, sure, including mock anger at "defections".

As a pre-determined thing in the case of Goodes or the pig-ignorant booing of Watson, it's pretty daft.

I find the booing of Goodes disgraceful. He's an absolute champ and to think that there's no racism involved is frankly naive to say the least. People say it's because of his sooking and whinging, but other than identifying somebody who racially vilified him, no matter who they are or how old they are, where is the evidence? Oh right, there is none.

I find the booing of Goodes disgraceful. He's an absolute champ and to think that there's no racism involved is frankly naive to say the least. People say it's because of his sooking and whinging, but other than identifying somebody who racially vilified him, no matter who they are or how old they are, where is the evidence? Oh right, there is none.
No evidence of sooking?

He sooks in every game he plays dude. Always hard done by, even when kneeing blokes in the head.

Yeah, he sooks. But Jack Riewoldt, who has turned whingeing into an artform, doesn't get booed as soon as he touches the ball. Lindsay Thomas, who has just been cast in the next friggin' Dardennes brothers film on merit of his acting talent, doesn't get booed off the cuff.

I think we need to to distinguish between the booing "off the cuff" (ie. from when they first touch the ball) and the booing that develops during a game based on things that happened earlier (eg. diving or belting someone)

there's also a 3rd form of being booed as an attempted distraction when they're trying to kick the game winner after the siren.

Goodes has copped all 3 during his career, 2nd and 3rd are acceptable in my mind, 1st is not

To think that it's all racism and thereby disgraceful is equally as naive.

It's just as naive to say it's all based on racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back