Harvey gone

Grandstan

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I honestly think some fans were hooked on the emotional rollercoaster that was old Freo. You can't deny that a narrow win over a good side feels amazing after you lose by 10 goals at home to a cellar dweller the week before. Now we're all stable and consistent and win the games we should and put in exceptional effort every week. That s**t is boring. Being the oddball underdog was a massive part of the appeal of Freo for those fans.
I enjoy the good times knowing the team has worked long and hard to get here (7 years of rebuild) and that we wasted our previous window.
I didn't jump on the club because we started winning and I'm under no illusions that we will always have it so good. That's the difference between a loyal fan and a Hawthorn supporter.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I liked that we got Ross, my post on the day was basically "I'll throw up if it is Eade or Craig", but I reckon the first time I thought we had a genuinely great coach was rd4 2012 vs St Kilda, a team that used to beat us every time. It was a Friday night and we got out to an early lead and then hang on. Hill was sensational in the 2nd half after Jones wore him like a glove in the first half. We played without Fyfe as well, there were a few rocky weeks after with the lowest being the low score against WCE which came with some stinging criticism but we clicked not long after and have been great ever since.

The fact we don't melt now against dud teams has been very god for my health and also my TV remote.
Funny that is the last time Eagles have beaten us. Was there at the game as well. The fall out from that game the week after was huge. The West had crazy headlines on the back page the day after with something like spooky scary for Freo. Ha little did they know...

No that thread would be titled "Big sook cry baby campinger gone".
What a non-event he was on the weekend hey? Still seagulling and sheep dogging off his poor teammates.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Funny that is the last time Eagles have beaten us. Was there at the game as well. The fall out from that game the week after was huge. The West had crazy headlines on the back page the day after with something like spooky scary for Freo. Ha little did they know...

i remember when lost that derby, a workmate sent me an email gloating and saying "where is the next line of players? where is the midfield horsepower? where is your next Gaff / Darling?" (i think Gaff played his one good game that day)

after every derby i forward him his email.

Oct 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Liverpool, Cardinals
You read my mind

Also imperial_oz had a few choice words in the early pages :D

Yeah I did didn't I?

I still have some regard for Harvey and I'm of the view the added a lot to club in his time there. I'm also of the view his removal was handled in an unprofessional manner.

That said, we seem to be doing ok these days :D

edit: Why is this skeleton in the closet getting dragged out for another showing?

GordonT

All Australian
Jun 5, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm also of the view his removal was handled in an unprofessional manner.

That said, we seem to be doing ok these days :D

I was quite shocked at how it was done but I find it interesting you believe it was in an unprofessional manner. How so?

With the way RTB's situation was with St Kilda how else could it have been done?

I was in Melbourne at the time and remember how the media was losing the plot over the whole thing because NONE of them had a clue about it. They were / are all so used to having things like this leaked to them that they were falling over themselves to be first "in the know". Listening to SEN was hilarious especially with that spud "The OX" trying to act like he had an inside word.

It was the first time I thought our club had been decisive and made a tough call with what was best for the club in the long term.

In Ross We Trust.

Oct 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Liverpool, Cardinals
I was quite shocked at how it was done but I find it interesting you believe it was in an unprofessional manner. How so?

With the way RTB's situation was with St Kilda how else could it have been done?

I was in Melbourne at the time and remember how the media was losing the plot over the whole thing because NONE of them had a clue about it. They were / are all so used to having things like this leaked to them that they were falling over themselves to be first "in the know". Listening to SEN was hilarious especially with that spud "The OX" trying to act like he had an inside word.

It was the first time I thought our club had been decisive and made a tough call with what was best for the club in the long term.

In Ross We Trust.

The reason I considered it unprofessional at the time and still do was the way it was handled and I'm not referring to Lyon in way, shape or form. He was irrelevant to Harvey.

Initially, Harvey was informed of his sacking by a journalist. Its poor on the part of the club to allow that to happen especially after the recruitment phase was handled so discretely. But ok, mistakes can happen. Then they offered to only part pay Harvey's contract, with top up payments offered on his next gig. That wasn't a mistake. That was a considered decision and very poorly done. It took threats of legal action before the club honoured its obligations and paid his contract out. I still regard that as unprofessional, however maybe I'm in the minority here.

Comments fed back to from the club hierarchy also indicated a fairly dismissive attitude towards the club members. I won't go into that too deeply as it puts a friend in the firing line but it's one thing to hold that attitude and quite another to openly say it. Again, thats my view. You're welcome to disagree.

If it was between Craig/Lyon/Eade you'd go Lyon surely. I reckon he's a smug twat, but coached what was really a pretty average list bar a handful of stars to 3 Grand Finals, 1 draw, 1 narrow loss and of course a smashing. I reckon that about describes our list but our youth is far superior to that of the Saints.

Easily the best of the 3, plus he's much younger and less senile than Eade and Craig.

We won't get him though.

Underrated post :) Looking back it's turned out better than we all thought - great times to be a freo member.

All the calls for Eade, Craig, or Malthouse. Look at them now.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Will never forget that night, listen to it all unfold on SEN, i for one was glad Harvey got the sack.
I went to 3 games in 2011, round 13 V Melbourne 89 point lose, round 22 V norf 98 point lose and round 24 V Dogs 66 point lose.
Injury's aside it was some of the most gutless pathetic football iv even seen, I remember after the lose to north I went to the race to have a crack at them as they left, i didn't after seeing the looks on their faces as they left, they wore completely emotionless, they had no heart at all under Harvey in the end.
Getting Lyon in has been the single best thing the club has ever done.
I never listen to the radio at night, but I jumped in the car to get pizza and it was all happening on SEN. Got home and looked at Bigfooty for the first time.

GordonT

All Australian
Jun 5, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I never listen to the radio at night, but I jumped in the car to get pizza and it was all happening on SEN. Got home and looked at Bigfooty for the first time.

You would have heard me then lol, I rang a radio station for the 1st time that night (SEN), I was so angry, had a big rant hahah.
I can laugh in hindsight.

greatgatsby

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2010
The Seat of Power
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Commanders, Black Ducks
Wrote a message to the Steves the day it was done - told them they likely had the support of a significant part of the fan base and to hold firm in the face of some of the shite that was flying around. Both replied quickly with appreciation, noting that it was indeed hot in the kitchen!!

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The reason I considered it unprofessional at the time and still do was the way it was handled and I'm not referring to Lyon in way, shape or form. He was irrelevant to Harvey.

Initially, Harvey was informed of his sacking by a journalist. Its poor on the part of the club to allow that to happen especially after the recruitment phase was handled so discretely. But ok, mistakes can happen. Then they offered to only part pay Harvey's contract, with top up payments offered on his next gig. That wasn't a mistake. That was a considered decision and very poorly done. It took threats of legal action before the club honoured its obligations and paid his contract out. I still regard that as unprofessional, however maybe I'm in the minority here.

Comments fed back to from the club hierarchy also indicated a fairly dismissive attitude towards the club members. I won't go into that too deeply as it puts a friend in the firing line but it's one thing to hold that attitude and quite another to openly say it. Again, thats my view. You're welcome to disagree.

Don't know about everything you've written here, but the bolded is definitely wrong. I think you have got mixed up with how Drum got fired: through Adrian Barich.

Most people were upset because Harvey gave a speech to sponsors in the morning and was informed in the afternoon. It was only after Harvey was told that the press got wind of it.

If anything it was too professional.

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I didn't read the whole thread, but was there another mini-meltdown when it was revealed that Ross Lyon was bringing Zac Dawson with him? :D :D :D
I'm pretty sure it was well known Freo were into Dawson before the Lyon coup.

Back