Opinion Round 9 Changes vs. Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Am starting to think that if we get past Adelaide we should think of resting Suban, Mundy, Lachie...even using them as a sub and start rolling a Weller, Blakely and Langdon type through the side to get a feel. One at a time for a couple of games
I think meddling with the side shouldn't come until after the Hawks game. After the Adelaide game Freo travel once before facing Hawthorn at Tassie, vs Gold Coast. Now it might be worth resting Sandi or Pav for that game, but after that is the bye, then Collingwood and Brisbane both at Subi.

While every game is a potential danger game, I think that's a pretty easy run of games overall. Beat Adelaide and the side could 13-0 before facing the Hawks. Then between that game and finals in 9 weeks, which can be used to prepare for the tilt.

I think meddling with the side shouldn't come until after the Hawks game. After the Adelaide game Freo travel once before facing Hawthorn at Tassie, vs Gold Coast. Now it might be worth resting Sandi or Pav for that game, but after that is the bye, then Collingwood and Brisbane both at Subi.

While every game is a potential danger game, I think that's a pretty easy run of games overall. Beat Adelaide and the side could 13-0 before facing the Hawks. Then between that game and finals in 9 weeks, which can be used to prepare for the tilt.

The gap between the Collingwood and Brisbane games is quite large too, we get a big rest period after Gold Coast :)

We are getting a bit cocky, so here are some possible threats from Adelaide.

If we allow them to move the ball quickly (a big if) their forward line is very dangerous. Lynch, Walker and Jenkins will stretch our back line, plus Betts is in career best form and will test Spurr out.

With out Crowley, can we contain Dangerfield. If he gets off the chain their forward line could fire. Who ever is on him must stay goal side 100% of the time.

If Pav does not make the trip, Clarke and Mayne will probably be soundly beaten by Talia and Lever. That would leave most of goal scoring up to the midfield and small forwards which is not ideal.

In reality our midfield should get on top and we should win the game comfortable but if we give them a 3-4 goals head start then we could struggle to peg them back.

If we allow them to move the ball quickly (a big if) their forward line is very dangerous. Lynch, Walker and Jenkins will stretch our back line, plus Betts is in career best form and will test Spurr out.

With out Crowley, can we contain Dangerfield. If he gets off the chain their forward line could fire. Who ever is on him must stay goal side 100% of the time.

If Pav does not make the trip, Clarke and Mayne will probably be soundly beaten by Talia and Lever. That would leave most of goal scoring up to the midfield and small forwards which is not ideal.

In reality our midfield should get on top and we should win the game comfortable but if we give them a 3-4 goals head start then we could struggle to peg them back.
I highly doubt Mayne would get soundly beaten by Lever.

I was thinking that Lever would go to Tabs before Mayne.

At the end of the day, if we can't adequately cover the loss of Pavlich we should be seriously worried.

I think given the spread of quality and capability our players it will be managed well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day, if we can't adequately cover the loss of Pavlich we should be seriously worried.

I think given the spread of quality and capability our players it will be managed well.

Why are people suddenly thinking he is going to miss when reports suggest otherwise?

hahaha i have no idea. I actually dont think he will given all the reports but just saying IF.

FWIW he is booked in to do a speaking gig for WWTFC on Sunday 31st so he must be relatively confident.

Doubt he would be travelling if he isn't playing.

Saturday 30 May
Summary
light-showers.png

Min 9
Max 16
Possible shower.
Adelaide area
Partly cloudy. Slight (30%) chance of a shower. Winds northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h increasing to 25 to 35 km/h during the morning then turning westerly 25 to 40 km/h during the day

I thought Duff played well in the first 3 games of the year and has dropped off significantly since then.

In the WB i thought he contributed nothing, but just seen he had 5 tackles (equal seaon high) in a quarter so you have to be relatively satisfied with the effort there.
Against North he was MIA and at times i forgot he was playing, i'm not sure if he had a job on someone. (he didn't that i could tell, but could be wrong).
Shocking was not the right word to use. What I meant was below my expectations of them as players built up from previous year's form.

Saturday 30 May
Summary
light-showers.png

Min 9
Max 16
Possible shower.
Adelaide area
Partly cloudy. Slight (30%) chance of a shower. Winds northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h increasing to 25 to 35 km/h during the morning then turning westerly 25 to 40 km/h during the day
Saturday 30 May

Adelaide Oval

Fremantle FC continue their 'Undefeated' tour of Australia.

Freo are in town for one night only, performing all their greatest hits ...

“And I Love Hill” – Freo midfielders
“Can’t Buy Me Lachie” – Ditto
“Come Together” – Dockers defenders
“Do You Want To Know A Secret” – Lyon / Kirk duet
“From Me To Pav” – David Mundy
“Getting Better” – Matt Taberner
“Got To Get You Into My Life” – Dockers team (dedicated to the AFL Premiership Cup)
“Here Comes The Son Son” – Dockers forwards
“I Am The Weller” – Dockers rookies
“I Saw Hayden Standing There” – Dockers midfielders
“Long Tall Sandi” – 211
“Lukey In The Sky With Diamonds” – Elvis
“Octopus’s Garden” – Johnno
“Revolution” – Dockers members
“Sgt Pavlich’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” – Dockers ensemble
“Suban Loves You (Yeah, Yeah, Yeah)” – Nick Suban (to selectors)
“The Fool On The Hill” – Dockers members (dedicated to Basil)
“Ticket To Ride” – Nat Fyfe
“Twist And Shout” – Michael Barlow
“When I’m Sixty Four” – Matt Pavlich
“With A Little Help From My Friends” – Chris Mayne

Limited tickets available.

We have versatility & depth over Adelaide. They really only have 1 or 2 good players in each section of the ground, and if we can keep the ball away from them, we should be fine. Talia's having a pretty average year, Sloane's not playing, Dangerfield is a danger (lol) but can't carry the whole team. Our biggest worries are Tex - who McPharlap should match up on well, and Betts - who might end up with Spurr. It gets a big messier if Danger plays forward, but the ball shouldn't go anywhere near their forward line in that case.

Plus, I'm travelling to this game and I have a 100% win rate on Freo games I've been to this year :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back