Who are the "un-booable" characters of the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

There has been a fair amount of discussion about why Adam Goodes is constantly booed by opposition supporters. Is it because he plays for frees? Because he has been outspoken? Or is it racially driven. The latter seems highly improbable.

3AW Sports Today posed an interesting lightweight question - in light of the booing of Goodes is it possible to come up with a list of players and coaches who have earned the right not to be booed because of their glorious service to the game, because they are downright nice guys, or because of some other reason?

At Geelong I thought Jimmy Bartel fell into that category. I still do, but he lost browny points in 2014 when he was accused of staging for a free. Harry Taylor and Corey Enright are IMO unbooable. Both are downright good guys who have served the game well.

The great Jimmy Stynes was unbooable. Of the current players, Bob Murphy has been described as "unbooable" and Jobe Watson probably fits into that category. On the other hand Stevie J, and Boomer Harvey don't.

Of the coaches I reckon Ken Hinkley is the only unbooable character

Over to you....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highly improbable booing of Goodes is related to racial issues. Yeah.

But not to sidetrack the thread - barring them doing a dog act in a game, I'd say the following would be close to unbooable:
Nathan Jones
Nick Riewoldt
Cyril Rioli (having deeelicious yelled at you is different to being booed)
The Bont
Jamie Elliott
Jeremy Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back