2015 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I recently spoke to one of the older coaches - Peter Van Helden. He and his brother were legends at East Freo. I think he's been coaching there for 20 + years.

hmm perhaps some of the 1st teams have got good coaches.

I remember the days when Brad Hogg would come to help out with the cricket team, amazing how he went from retirement to playing again. The funny part was that his son is bit of a dead beat and never participated in sport.

hmm perhaps some of the 1st teams have got good coaches.

I remember the days when Brad Hogg would come to help out with the cricket team, amazing how he went from retirement to playing again. The funny part was that his son is bit of a dead beat and never participated in sport.

Most of the big private schools spend a fortune on sports coaches. It's one of their main selling points. Almost all of them would have at least 1 cricket coach who's played first class cricket or higher, for example.

Yes, he hasn't really earned that title yet!

Don't want him to get over confident and think about leaving.
I don't want to sound old or condescending, it's hard on the Internet. Tommy gun is a nickname best explained here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_gun
Apologies if this is known by you, but the name is just slang basically.

Most of the big private schools spend a fortune on sports coaches. It's one of their main selling points. Almost all of them would have at least 1 cricket coach who's played first class cricket or higher, for example.

I can't remember during my time there, but I know from year 8-9 you won't have a professional coach and lower teams in year 10-12 i.e 3rds usually have a teacher. End of day I think the people who have good genetics and attitude always rise to the top regardless who their coach is. Sure coaches can positively and negatively impact a players development, but come crunch time from the big leagues you need talent.

We had Tony Lock coaching us in years 8 and 9. And I wasn't in even in the A's.

I can't remember during my time there, but I know from year 8-9 you won't have a professional coach and lower teams in year 10-12 i.e 3rds usually have a teacher. End of day I think the people who have good genetics and attitude always rise to the top regardless who their coach is. Sure coaches can positively and negatively impact a players development, but come crunch time from the big leagues you need talent.

When I was in primary school we were coached by a teacher but once and awhile Bob Shields would come down and coach the boys .
Manning Primary school had a teacher that played football for Perth in the reserves .
Those kids did a preseason before anyone knew what that was and he had those kids doing the same drills that Armstrong was doing at Perth Footy Club .
He spotted a couple of kids that displayed some footy talent and gave them extra work .
We played them twice that year and could get within 20 goals of them.The second game was the Grand Final .
The Manning team had the Dalton Brothers, Pat Astony, and Brian Peake . All of which played in premiership teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL360 just discussed Adam Goodes.
The shitful Robbo asks Michael Long how they can stop the Booing of Goodes, with the non subtle inference that it is racism.
I am puzzled by this -- Booing Goodes is racism.
Booing Ballantyne is not racism.

Maybe it's because Ballantyne isn't booed because he stood up against those who discriminate against white people.

cam mccarthy was a die hard freo supporter and still has a soft spot for us, around 2:20 ;)

The shitful Robbo asks Michael Long how they can stop the Booing of Goodes, with the non subtle inference that it is racism.
Some of the people who boo Goodes is due to racism.

I was at a dinner a few weeks ago and there was a woman there who likes to start arguments all the time and was trying to start one abut Adam goodes. Something along the lines of "He doesn't deserve Australian of the year just because he pointed at a little girl."

People who don't read much about Adam goodes think that that is what he got the award for. They apparently don't take the time to find out the other things he does off the field. So they boo him instead.

Have to say too she is a dyed in the wool eagles supporters who we are all now no longer inviting to events. Now the Dockers are doing well she tries to start an argument every time she's with us. We don't talk footy intentionally because of her. She gets really bitter and nasty and what used to be a bit of banter now is just vile and venomous from her. The above about goodes was another one she was getting nasty about.

We've had to explain to her husband why they're no longer welcome any more :(

If people were racist they'd boo every aboriginal player. People boo Goodes because he's a knob.
No, they boo him because he's an aboriginal player who stands up for himself.

And knowing the average Hawthorn fan and that club's history, it probably is straight up racism. The club might have moved on from their former recruitment policy and Dermott's sledging of Chris Lewis - doubt their fans have.

Thought he was booed because he was staging for frees, which he does. How can people assume it's because of his race?

Thought he was booed because he was staging for frees, which he does. How can people assume it's because of his race?
Yeah but so many players stage for frees. Jack Darling is worse and he doesn't cop the boos.

Puzzling isn't it, Hobbits are a race too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back