Who are the "un-booable" characters of the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lance Franklin

Was at a match in Round 23, 2013 in Sydney and Swans fans booed him non stop

Goodesy told me it was racism

Anyway its all sorted now as the Swans fans aren't as racist since the Swans recruited him - Buddy is now un booable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a few names: Lenny Hayes, Simon Black, Pendles (maybe I'm biased), Ablett Jr, Josh Kennedy (Syd), Swallow, Sandi/Pav/McPharlin, Beau Waters, Harry Taylor, Fletch (only in his old age really).
And:
Lewis-M*Fing-Roberts-Thompson... you just can't be anything but impressed with the kind of career LRT had for himself, and how he always played his role in the big games.

There has been a fair amount of discussion about why Adam Goodes is constantly booed by opposition supporters. Is it because he plays for frees? Because he has been outspoken? Or is it racially driven. The latter seems highly improbable.

3AW Sports Today posed an interesting lightweight question - in light of the booing of Goodes is it possible to come up with a list of players and coaches who have earned the right not to be booed because of their glorious service to the game, because they are downright nice guys, or because of some other reason?

At Geelong I thought Jimmy Bartel fell into that category. I still do, but he lost browny points in 2014 when he was accused of staging for a free. Harry Taylor and Corey Enright are IMO unbooable. Both are downright good guys who have served the game well.

The great Jimmy Stynes was unbooable. Of the current players, Bob Murphy has been described as "unbooable" and Jobe Watson probably fits into that category. On the other hand Stevie J, and Boomer Harvey don't.

Of the coaches I reckon Ken Hinkley is the only unbooable character

Over to you....
I think Watson got booed to the max in the Round 4 2013 clash when they went over to Fremantle and ended up winning. Can't remember exactly, but something like that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back