1993 - What Were You Doing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to Ugly Kid Joe tape on my Sony Walkman, playing Sonic the Hedgehog II on Sega Megadrive and dominating at Zone 3.

Also just really getting into footy that year. Good timing! I was 13 and footy mad by the time finals rolled around, went to every one including the GF. Good times! I've got a photo of me holding the premiership cup too.

1993 was the first year I took any notice of footy - I was 6. I don't remember much of that year but I certainly remember watching the GF, I didn't follow Essendon until that GF. I haven't known footy without Fletch and it will be weird to see a team without him on the list...

Listening to Ugly Kid Joe tape on my Sony Walkman, playing Sonic the Hedgehog II on Sega Megadrive and dominating at Zone 3.

Also just really getting into footy that year. Good timing! I was 13 and footy mad by the time finals rolled around, went to every one including the GF. Good times! I've got a photo of me holding the premiership cup too.

Busy Bee was an awesome song

reckon we were probably bang on the same zone, went to all the games for the first time ect. I also got to meet Wanganeen at the social club the night he won the brownlow cause we were lioning up for tickets, he signed my jumper. Was like a deer in the headlights the poor lad

Don't remember much of the game, though I remember being in grade 6 and sitting next to a Carlton supporter who had to look at a sign reading "RIP Carlton" taped to my desk lid which I had printed off on my IBM 286 and texter coloured over the letters with red and black because the printer wasn't colour.

I was 6, my mum is a big Adelaide fan so all I remember about the 93 season was watching the Crows, my aunty came up to watch the prelim and told me about how Essendon are a big part of our family (grandma and three aunties are supporters) and I decided then to support the Bombers. Mother was not impressed.

I was 8 years old in 93. Followed the Cats in 91/92 (old mans team) but changed to the Dons at the start of 93.
I remember watching the first final and it being a cracker against the Blues (even though we lost), then watched the GF on the telly.

EDIT: also who could forget that comeback.

The funny thing is you always hear players who won a flag early say they didn't really appreciate it. If you win one late it's more sweet.

It's actually the same for fans, like we won 84/85 when I first started watching then we're still successful up til 93 and another still successful til another in 2000, in truth I still probably didn't appreciate them enough cause I figured another is coming....

Geez, after this 15 years of you know what.... When/if we win one I'll probably need to check into rehab! The next one is the one I'll finally appreciate.

The funny thing is you always hear players who won a flag early say they didn't really appreciate it. If you win one late it's more sweet.

It's actually the same for fans, like we won 84/85 when I first started watching then we're still successful up til 93 and another still successful til another in 2000, in truth I still probably didn't appreciate them enough cause I figured another is coming....

Geez, after this 15 years of you know what.... When/if we win one I'll probably need to check into rehab! The next one is the one I'll finally appreciate.
That's also what made '84 so special for slightly older supporters, who'd grown up with our mediocrity between 1969 and 1980 especially.

Was 8 years old, first real season I got right into AFL footy(was at local footy from a very early age), think I was hooked after we won the Fosters cup grand final, think it was against Richmond? Not a bad first year to pick, We won the pre season, the real season, Brownlow medal and we beat Carlton in a grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah 1993. What a great year.
Spent 3 months in the USA doing an induction for the company I work for.
Had the smarts to buy a membership before went away.
Came back to Australia just after round 18, just in time to see us spank Collingwood in round 19.
Glory days.

I was in year 10 playing my last year of competitive footy (stopped due to knee issues). I had serious interest from Eastern Rangers U18 team before informing them I wouldn't be continuing after medical advice.

Was down about that but thankfully the Bombers cheered me up with a flag. Remember Timmy jumping over a pack and running into goal against Carlton during the H&A that reminded me of the 1984 grand final.

Reckon I was Into Alex the kidd on the Sega master system 2, pretty sure I hadn't found nirvana or pearl jam yet, was just prior, might have been Richard Marx hazard or London beat thinkin bout you Or ugly kid Joe neighbor.. Think I was pumping a daily 2 piece feed from Kentucky for under $5 with my paper round money. Wagging the odd school day to collect trollies at Coles for dollar coins to use down timezone on point blank. Going down the nets with mates trying to bowl leg spinners. Maybe watch a bit of perfect strangers with balky butukomous from mepos or hey dad or the late show on Saturday night with Graham and the colonel.

Me too!
Good times - was a great season.

Yep, my 17th birthday was the day of the final vs adelaide.
Of course living there and being in a house full of crows supporters was painful - until the end!
In fact I was so chuffed a mate and I went to the airport with thousands of crows fans and yelled
All kinds of go bombers chants whilst the players were soaking up the commiserations from the fans etc.

God knows how we actually made it out alive.

Just started high school. Turned 13. Playing NBA on Sega Mega drive, riding bikes to local courts shooting hoops. Riding bikes to local shops to buy NBA trading cards. Attended Fletch's first game, was away with a mates family in Noosa for the GF. Remember watching it on TV, but me and mate had more important things like finding where the secret nudie beach was coz we wanted to see bewbs. We walked around hiking paths for 3-5 hours, finally found it and was full of old people, like 80 year olds.

Ah 93 was in yr11. Missed out on getting GF ticket so settled for watching it a mates house which worked out well. I drew Michael Long in the norm smith (possession sculls) raffle which meant I had a massive day. To top it off some girls came around and I'd had my eye on one of these for a while. She didn't barrack for Essendon but rocked up in the bombers colours. Started talking and she says you've had a great day etc...well its about to get better...I'll leave it at that!

BOG performance!

Just started high school. Turned 13. Playing NBA on Sega Mega drive, riding bikes to local courts shooting hoops. Riding bikes to local shops to buy NBA trading cards. Attended Fletch's first game, was away with a mates family in Noosa for the GF. Remember watching it on TV, but me and mate had more important things like finding where the secret nudie beach was coz we wanted to see bewbs. We walked around hiking paths for 3-5 hours, finally found it and was full of old people, like 80 year olds.

The Mysterious Alexandra Bay. It's one of those terrible life lessons where how you imagine something and how it really is can vary so greatly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back