Zimbabwe tour of Pakistan

Remove this Banner Ad

I know, but it's pretty amazing you can just come right in to playing at international level on the back of no match practice at a lower level. I know it's "only" Zimbabwe, but still.

What I have heard from expats is that Harare club cricket is often higher standard than the first class competition.

They'd have played there.

The other interesting thing is that it does look like there definitely is a max of three whites selection rule in Zimbabwean cricket

Fairly certain Coventry plays league cricket over in England during the summer there.

I remember on the rare occasions that he'd bowl, commentators would always talk about how good his leg spinners looked, and how much potential he possessed as a bowler, despite never seeming to take any wickets or keeping the runs down.

Much in the same manner as David Warner. There's this mystique that the commentators love to go on about with part time leggies - Simon Katich was another although he was more accomplished than either of them. Katich wasn't a complete a mug with the ball, but the way he was mythologised on here and in the commentary box back in the days of our struggles was very disproportionate to the number of full tosses he would serve up.

Close result overnight. Have never seen him bat, but that's a couple of good T20 knocks in a row for Mukhtar.

The other interesting thing is that it does look like there definitely is a max of three whites selection rule in Zimbabwean cricket

Wouldn't Brendan Taylor also be in if he didn't retire?

Not too many whites in the Zimbabwe system anyway. Mark Veumeluen recently retired. Malcolm Waller has bowling issues. Peter Moor struggled in their recent Bangladesh tour. Can't think of too many others that would warrant selection.

Wouldn't Brendan Taylor also be in if he didn't retire?

Not too many whites in the Zimbabwe system anyway. Mark Veumeluen recently retired. Malcolm Waller has bowling issues. Peter Moor struggled in their recent Bangladesh tour. Can't think of too many others that would warrant selection.

Bet one of Cremer or Coventry wouldn't have come back.

Average score batting first here is 273, looks like 373 more likely. Pitty really after a tight first 5-10 overs from the bowlers.

Chigumbura has been suspended for slow over rates and will miss the rest of series. I think the ICC should have at least given some consideration to the very hot weather they had, the players needed more time to rest. We already have a heat policy in the AFL for longer breaks, maybe it's time cricket does the same.

Chigumbura has been suspended for slow over rates and will miss the rest of series. I think the ICC should have at least given some consideration to the very hot weather they had, the players needed more time to rest. We already have a heat policy in the AFL for longer breaks, maybe it's time cricket does the same.
I like your point, but I personally love this new no-tolerance stance the ICC are taking to issues such as this. It is gutsy but is showing that the governing body are in-charge of the game and not the individual association of each country. While it is harsh in this situation and sad because I really rate Chigumbura, it is an excellent precedent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tragic news:( What does this mean for the remaining game, will it go ahead or has it been cancelled?

The attack was near the ground, but not at the ground. Apparently outside a coaching centre. From the reports I've seen it is not clear if anything to do with cricket was actually a target. That doesn't lessen the tragedy at all of course, but would likely have an impact on Zimbabwe's decision on whether to continue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back