Universal Love Keith Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

How about ... Actually believing your own lie?

What a moron! He writes a great article about Port having the best game day experience, but has to negate that with a piece of vomit! Good one Wrinkles!
I read his earlier article praising Port up and thought he had changed his tune.I only just noticed the one he is insinuating KT and Port are lying.This man is a hypocritical campaigner if there has ever been one.

I read his earlier article praising Port up and thought he had changed his tune.I only just noticed the one he is insinuating KT and Port are lying.This man is a hypocritical campaigner if there has ever been one.
What is really annoying is that he has totally misrepresented what KT wrote. And it was a letter to the members, not a letter in the media. Tell me Cornes, what was this 'propaganda' that KT wrote? Cornes should be ashamed of himself. I look forward to the day when Kane has a regular media gig because at least he gives some balance.

1991 was the last year of the U/19s and the reserves last year was 1999 as 2000 everyone on an AFL list was a full time footballer.

If we got into the AFL the Sanfl would have kicked us out in 1991. The Sanfl clubs wantes to do it straight after we won the 2nd licence in December 1994 but Max and co. said no as they knew it would be a disaster. In 1990 they werent as generous.

So would have lost our zones and our juniors would have played in the Saafl. No way would we pay for our U/19s to fly to Melbourne e ery second week and the AFL would have forced us to pay travel and accomodation costs of the visiting team.

So Port in the AFL in 1991 would have been been less involvement in the Sanfl that in 2015.

We are speculating either way but being that in '94 Basheer was concerned about losing Port from the competition totally I sway to believing that in '90 Basheer would have been more concerned about losing Port from the sanfl as it would have been a sudden change/shock to the sanfl competition in very little time. At least by '94 to '96 Basheer knew what was likely going to happen and could brace himself for the change. I believe he would have overruled the sanfl clubs wild emotional knee-jerk reactions in '90 as he did in '94. Hatred was there but the fear of instantly losing its biggest foundation club in less than half a year was too big for him to handle. Although we don't like the bloke I believe he wanted to preserve the sanfl with a Port in it in some shape or form. Some imposed sanctions and conditions would have been thrust onto the club's structure under the cries of the sanfl clubs but I'd say losing zones and juniors would still not have been immediate in '90. He stopped us from joining, tried to keep SA players here with the formation of the crows, and perhaps believed a conglomeration was the least disturbance to the sanfl competition.

We are speculating either way but being that in '94 Basheer was concerned about losing Port from the competition totally I sway to believing that in '90 Basheer would have been more concerned about losing Port from the sanfl as it would have been a sudden change/shock to the sanfl competition in very little time. At least by '94 to '96 Basheer knew what was likely going to happen and could brace himself for the change. I believe he would have overruled the sanfl clubs wild emotional knee-jerk reactions in '90 as he did in '94. Hatred was there but the fear of instantly losing its biggest foundation club in less than half a year was too big for him to handle. Although we don't like the bloke I believe he wanted to preserve the sanfl with a Port in it in some shape or form. Some imposed sanctions and conditions would have been thrust onto the club's structure under the cries of the sanfl clubs but I'd say losing zones and juniors would still not have been immediate in '90. He stopped us from joining, tried to keep SA players here with the formation of the crows, and perhaps believed a conglomeration was the least disturbance to the sanfl competition.

You have had a lapse of memory. 1990 was vicious. The SANFL and its clubs' primary concern was protecting their patch and their revenue streams. They wouldnt have let us stay in the SANFL or Port play at Footy Park and the clubs would have gleefully taking over the zones as Port would have been an AFL club.

By December 1994 the SANFL and its clubs had got used to downsizing and Max was able to over ride the SANFL clubs as he saw the potential profits from 22 games of AFL at Footy Park a season not 11. That 4 years and no Weber involved,dealing with Bucky - the nice guy face of Port - had healed some of the wombs - but a pound of flesh would still be extracted. There was 4 years experience of mult-million dollar profits from an AFL side playing in SA every 2nd week.

You have had a lapse of memory. 1990 was vicious. The SANFL and its clubs' primary concern was protecting their patch and their revenue streams. They wouldnt have let us stay in the SANFL or Port play at Footy Park and the clubs would have gleefully taking over the zones as Port would have been an AFL club.

By December 1994 the SANFL and its clubs had got used to downsizing and Max was able to over ride the SANFL clubs as he saw the potential profits from 22 games of AFL at Footy Park a season not 11. That 4 years and no Weber involved,dealing with Bucky - the nice guy face of Port - had healed some of the wombs - but a pound of flesh would still be extracted. There was 4 years experience of mult-million dollar profits from an AFL side playing in SA every 2nd week.

It has always been the sanfl clubs' concerns, nothing different there. The sanfl clubs may not have been certain what they wanted, us out or us in, and required Basheer to solve the puzzle for them. If they'd kicked us out in '90 then we would have been free to join the afl of which they didn't want this, and we would have been playing afl games elsewhere, which again they would not have wanted this because they would earn zilch money and were fearing that SA supporters would migrate towards Port AFL games. So they keep us in the sanfl, form the crows to eat off and they have the best of both of worlds. By '94 they know the inevitable is that Port will be in the AFL and so they exercise a condition that has them control us from afl to sanfl level. Have you heard that Norwood posted court summons to our board members? They didn't want us to go.

It has always been the sanfl clubs' concerns, nothing different there. The sanfl clubs may not have been certain what they wanted, us out or us in, and required Basheer to solve the puzzle for them. If they'd kicked us out in '90 then we would have been free to join the afl of which they didn't want this, and we would have been playing afl games elsewhere, which again they would not have wanted this because they would earn zilch money and were fearing that SA supporters would migrate towards Port AFL games. So they keep us in the sanfl, form the crows to eat off and they have the best of both of worlds.

You are applying 2014 thinking to 1990. The SANFL clubs were prepared to ditch Port in 1990 - they didnt know what revenue could be earned from the AFL, but the feared what reduction. 1990 wasnt about keeping Port in the SANFL it was about stopping Port getting first mover advantage in the AFL

By '94 they know the inevitable is that Port will be in the AFL and so they exercise a condition that has them control us from afl to sanfl level. Have you heard that Norwood posted court summons to our board members? They didn't want us to go.

Watch Power to Win doco that goes with the 2004 flag package. Bucky explains how the SANFL clubs wanted to kick us out after we won the 2nd licence but Port got legal advice they couldnt - but that is a lawyers opinion.

You are applying 2014 thinking to 1990. The SANFL clubs were prepared to ditch Port in 1990 - they didnt know what revenue could be earned from the AFL, but the feared what reduction. 1990 wasnt about keeping Port in the SANFL it was about stopping Port getting first mover advantage in the AFL

Watch Power to Win doco that goes with the 2004 flag package. Bucky explains how the SANFL clubs wanted to kick us out after we won the 2nd licence but Port got legal advice they couldnt - but that is a lawyers opinion.

We are talking a Basheer-sanfl and an Olsen-sanfl under way different circumstances and so there cannot be 2014 thinking applied for 1990 exactly. What is probably consistent in both times is the bitterness of the sanfl clubs towards Port, and so they may have wanted to kick us out had we joined in '90, but they were also fearing their futures of a league without Port, so we speculate on their actions.

We do know that in '90 Basheer was not prepared to let Port leave the sanfl and not prepared to let Port join the afl. He wanted the sanfl and its clubs remaining as one united group. If we are to fantasise for a moment and say Basheer had no other option but to allow us to join the afl, he was too protective of the sanfl to go without a Port presence and it is possible our conditions would have likely been similar to '94 or the crows '91, meaning no severe erosion of zones and juniors immediately, and players spread around the league. The other clubs could kick and scream and do what they do best, over-react and threaten, but Basheer had the influence.

Yes the news and Bucky report that in '94 the clubs moved to kick us out but according to many of our supporters we wanted to leave the sanfl. The result is a clouded history and still being debated.

Look, we're both speculating, different interpretations, let's end it because we are off topic ... re- Keith Thomas.

KT made an interesting point in his interview on 5AA just completed - re Adelaide Oval. At the end either Bickley or Rowe said, what are you going to do now??

KT said - Ever since I started I've been working on big structural changes – everything was just huge – I hope to get into a more conventional role and building on the footy program.

New coach, New Board, New Stadium, New Stadium deal, independence from SANFL, full Reunification and proper integrated reserves side, driving membership from low 30,000 to 60,000 and dealing with all the issues after J-Mac's passing, I look forward to the casual one finally being able to casually concentrate on improving us even further on the field.

The last 3.5 years must have taken up a fair bit of his energies. Hopefully he recharges the batteries now the big structural stuff is completed and we get another 3.5 years from him, because if he had any more big stuff to change, he might have only lasted less than a year.

KT made an interesting point in his interview on 5AA just completed - re Adelaide Oval. At the end either Bickley or Rowe said, what are you going to do now??

KT said - Ever since I started I've been working on big structural changes – everything was just huge – I hope to get into a more conventional role and building on the footy program.

New coach, New Board, New Stadium, New Stadium deal, independence from SANFL, full Reunification and proper integrated reserves side, driving membership from low 30,000 to 60,000 and dealing with all the issues after J-Mac's passing, I look forward to the casual one finally being able to casually concentrate on improving us even further on the field.

The last 3.5 years must have taken up a fair bit of his energies. Hopefully he recharges the batteries now the big structural stuff is completed and we get another 3.5 years from him, because if he had any more big stuff to change, he might have only lasted less than a year.

what a mammoth achievement

He will go down in history as one of the greatest men of our great club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw him on the news. He does look tired.
Yeah he did. Did you notice that for the presser he was casually dressed ina club white polo top but the one on one interview with Kim Dillon on ch 9 which was probably filmed last night he was in his full tie and suite.

A premiership, China and decent profits await the casual one.

He can recharge the batteries in time for round 3 in 2017

When you put it like that REH it’s actually phenomenal what he’s achieved a) in the time he’s achieved it, b) in one of THE most competitive cut throat performance based industries and most of all c) having to deal with some of the most bigoted neanderthal business men this state has on offer.

The best thing about KT tho.. is his casualness. He’s all about the people…genuinely.

I can’t help but feel we can ALL take a leaf out of KTs book. Quotes like…..“I don’t get even, I get focussed”; that’s the attitude that gets you places. It’s way too easy to be a **** in this world, but he NEVER stoops to the low levels of those around him, nor does he takes cheap shots. Sadly however he’s been forced to interject and separate fact from fiction, all because the media in this state can’t, or wont’.

I’ll never forget him having to call in to AA last September, to literally stop Stephen Rowe in his tracks from publically smearing our campaign to wear the PBs at our first AO final.... and then of course, there’s the email he sent to us supporters. Still, he cleaned up their s**t while remaining courteous and honourable.

Let’s hope Ken and boys can make it all worthwhile for the good man, because he’s armed them with everyone and everything they need.

Hats off KT, who IMO has put the PAFC back on the map.

When you put it like that REH it’s actually phenomenal what he’s achieved a) in the time he’s achieved it, b) in one of THE most competitive cut throat performance based industries and most of all c) having to deal with some of the most bigoted neanderthal business men this state has on offer.

The best thing about KT tho.. is his casualness. He’s all about the people…genuinely.

I can’t help but feel we can ALL take a leaf out of KTs book. Quotes like…..“I don’t get even, I get focussed”; that’s the attitude that gets you places. It’s way too easy to be a **** in this world, but he NEVER stoops to the low levels of those around him, nor does he takes cheap shots. Sadly however he’s been forced to interject and separate fact from fiction, all because the media in this state can’t, or wont’.

I’ll never forget him having to call in to AA last September, to literally stop Stephen Rowe in his tracks from publically smearing our campaign to wear the PBs at our first AO final.... and then of course, there’s the email he sent to us supporters. Still, he cleaned up their s**t while remaining courteous and honourable.

Let’s hope Ken and boys can make it all worthwhile for the good man, because he’s armed them with everyone and everything they need.

Hats off KT, who IMO has put the PAFC back on the map.
My thoughts exactly. The s**t he has to deal with from THAT station in particular is disgusting, but he does it with such class!

KEITH THOMAS - Warrior turned Community Champion.

This piece published late yesterday on the Club website seems not to have attracted the attention it's due.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-05-27/kt-on-the-brus-bus-leg-1

We have to keep a close eye on our own website for the stuff that matters. Ignore the 'Advertiser' - they are in a propaganda war with us; they are Pyongyang to our Seoul.

During a chat with KT three months ago, he mentioned jokingly that he wasn't sure how he would occupy his time this year. For the past three years, he said, he'd been fully occupied fighting wars, principally against the SANFL.
2012 - The off-field war at Alberton; getting his chiefs of staff in place. Tick.
2013 - Magpies as Reserves team in SANFL. Tick. Joint Major Sponsors. Tick.
2014 - Adelaide Oval review. Tick.

Now, with memberships at 60k, pre-game formula the market leader, more sponsors at 2nd & 3rd tiers, on-field set-up and performance the responsibility of others, he looked forward to 2015 as a year in which he could turn his attention to the Club's plans for the Community.
He meant that in a very broad sense, including not just South Australia and the APY Lands, also China and anywhere else that warranted attention along the way. KT has been to China once already and expects to be back before the end of the year.
Meanwhile, he's gone touring northward to Alice, far from unaccompanied:

To see just what our 'Bruses' get up to on their journey to Alice Springs, Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas joined the Aboriginal AFL Academy on what Eugene Warrior and his playing group have christened the 'Brus Bus' as they begin their journey north to play Clontarf in Alice Springs...

The Aboriginal AFL Academy Adventure
It’s been a whirlwind start to the year!

High intensity games, a trip to China, membership records, and a couple of disappointing losses just to keep it real!

But today’s agenda is different.

As the Power lads prepare to do battle with an improving Melbourne outfit in Alice Springs, twenty-two excited, young, impeccably dressed young men from our SAASTA Aboriginal AFL Academy loaded themselves into a bus to commence a journey every bit as important as the one their higher profile AFL counterparts are facing.

Over the next five days, these impressive young lads (aged 15-17 years) will spend 17 hours travelling through Port Augusta, Coober Pedy and Indulkana in the APY Lands before arriving in Alice Springs where they will meet and play against the local Clontarf Academy on Saturday morning. They will then turn around and make the return trip back to Adelaide.

Surrounded by Port Adelaide’s revered Aboriginal leader Paul Vandenbergh and his team of Byron Pickett, Wade Thompson, Academy coach Eugene Warrior, Mark Clayton and Steve Allen, the Academy boys will meet with young children from remote communities all the way up to Alice.

My job is to try and capture these moments in words. I will be ably assisted by young Academy gun Anthony Stengles who will be snapping pics on our brand new Nikon camera kindly donated by our good mates at Harvey Norman.

If we miss anything important, I’m sure the good folk from Today Tonight who are also following the trip and will be bringing you our journey, will cover the gaps.

After a quick comfort stop at Bolivar (of all places), we’re on our way to Port Augusta!

Stay tuned.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-05-27/kt-on-the-brus-bus-leg-1

How can we not be super proud of a CEO like this, and the way he's got the entire Club thinking alike and on the same page... just by being himself: CASUAL KEITH.

PS: I've emboldened the references to Nikon and Harvey Norman, whose logos appear at the foot of the webpage.

Is Anthony Stengles any relation to Micky O? He does have a step brother by the name of Alex Stengles (also the name of Micky's father).

KT's journey to the Alice has made it on to afl.com.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-...ach-as-academy-youngsters-visit-alice-springs

Port's Aboriginal programs manager Paul Vandenbergh told AFL.com.au the trip was the perfect opportunity for the club's boss to experience one of its key initiatives first hand.
..."Having a CEO on board you're trying to take it easy and asking him 'do you want to do this or that?' but he's just been so hands on with everything," Vandenbergh said.
"Keith is really big on doing good things so that good things will be returned.
"He had a conversation with the boys at the end of our visit to Indulkana and said 'I have the same conversation with the Power boys – whether you're Chad Wingard, or whether you're Byron Pickett or whether it's you guys – you never know the impact you can have on an individual.'
"He's been drumming that into these boys the whole trip because you just never know how you can help others … it's very powerful for these guys to hear."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-...ach-as-academy-youngsters-visit-alice-springs

My son is now a thorough KT convert. They had a long one-on-one during KT's recent time in HK. I'm hoping we can get the Casual King into China proper later in the year, show him stuff he's never seen, and see him go to work among the locals. The Team China and Pearl River Power lads already love him and wholly believe in him.
As Paul V observed above: "Keith is really big on doing good things so that good things will be returned."

As Paul V observed above: "Keith is really big on doing good things so that good things will be returned."
As good a definition of Karma as you will ever read.

Is the casual one a Buddhist at heart? If so he will do ok in China.

There was just a story on Today Tonight about the Academy and their trip to Alice Springs. Hopefully we can get it loaded on here for all to see.

They then reported that the AFL have put a stop to their planned game at Traeger Park before our clash with Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back