Tertiary and Continuing The Law Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've done College.

Do Leo's.

College is good to do if you have other stuff on (work or more study), but Leo's will arrange the work experience (might only be for on site students?) which is pretty handy. The social aspect of Leo's is also better.

I don't think anyone views the quality of the two as different, but if you can afford to, in terms of both money and time, I'd suggest Leo's.

I don't envy you guys these days leaving law school with no jobs, in my graduating class (around 14 years ago) I think everyone who wanted articles got them. And there's 2 more "law schools" now, not to mention certain schools doubling their intake for that sweet taste of overseas student cash

Penultimate year law student. cbf going through those bs graduate application pools, thinking of becoming a legal officer in the navy. Have I hit rock bottom?

Penultimate year law student. cbf going through those bs graduate application pools, thinking of becoming a legal officer in the navy. Have I hit rock bottom?

I was speaking to a few recruiters in the army through the army reserve.

They said its almost has hard to land a gig as a legal officer in the Army as it is in top tier firms due to the severely limited positions available.

Probably the same in the navy.

Issues Re our defence force aside, getting a gig there is far from the worst thing you can do. But not sure how easy, it could very well be as competitive as getting a grad job.

Give them a call/check the website out though, no harm can come of asking questions.

Rock bottom, or close to it, would be putting in the effort, completing the law degree, and ultimately embarking on a career that is in every way disconnected from law altogether.

Rock bottom, or close to it, would be putting in the effort, completing the law degree, and ultimately embarking on a career that is in every way disconnected from law altogether.

id say rock-bottom would be more like developing a heroin addiction, contracting HIV and then AIDS as a result, stealing from family and friends to support your addiction you still cant shake, and then ending up beaten to death in a city alley in a vicious attack committed by a person who hates the homeless...

if embarking on a career outside of law with a law degree behind you is rock-bottom, youre doing well.

id say rock-bottom would be more like developing a heroin addiction, contracting HIV and then AIDS as a result, stealing from family and friends to support your addiction you still cant shake, and then ending up beaten to death in a city alley in a vicious attack committed by a person who hates the homeless...

if embarking on a career outside of law with a law degree behind you is rock-bottom, youre doing well.

latest

I don't envy you guys these days leaving law school with no jobs, in my graduating class (around 14 years ago) I think everyone who wanted articles got them. And there's 2 more "law schools" now, not to mention certain schools doubling their intake for that sweet taste of overseas student cash
I was accepted into Masters/JD course but knocked it back as course fees were 100k (no CSP available). I've got better ways to invest a hundred grand!

I think there are too many idealistic teenagers who study law for the wrong reasons or have a very blinkered view of the world. There are some cartel-like behaviour in the legal industry so even with a degree it may end up being worth diddly squat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

During exam period in law school, I remember one of the tutors (who doubled as a big firm lawyer) mentioned to us: "Remember this feeling, because it is what you will feel everyday for the rest of your working career." Reckon there's probably some truth to that during the first few years!

I was accepted into Masters/JD course but knocked it back as course fees were 100k (no CSP available). I've got better ways to invest a hundred grand!

I think there are too many idealistic teenagers who study law for the wrong reasons or have a very blinkered view of the world. There are some cartel-like behaviour in the legal industry so even with a degree it may end up being worth diddly squat.

Idealistic teenagers studying law for idealistic reasons are doing it for the wrong reason? Life isn't that bleak mate. It shouldn't just be studied for profits and supporting substance use.

cry-crying-crying-gif-crying-gif-tumblr-cryinggif-tvd-the-vampire-diaries-damon-elena-delena-elena-gilbert-damon-salvatore-dex.gif

Seriously though,

This is one of the hardest units in terms of things to remember :( 2 days out from the exam and

i-dont-get-it1.gif

(Memes and coffee are all I have)

Directors' duties? Financial assistance? Related party transactions? I can't recall what even gets taught.

As a corporate lawyer I basically only deal with Chapters 6 and 2E.

Best of luck though mate.

:thumbsu:
Directors' duties? Financial assistance? Related party transactions? I can't recall what even gets taught.

As a corporate lawyer I basically only deal with Chapters 6 and 2E.

Best of luck though mate.

Joint ventures
Partnerships
Directors duties
Incorporation process
Corporate governance rules
Corporate constitutions
Shares
Capital formation
Corporate personality
Corporations and third parties
Corporations and internal regulation