West Indies Presidents XI v Australians May 27-29

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
So if they do go in with the 2 spinners do we play 5 frontline bowlers or 2 quicks 2 spinners and the pace allrounder?

Without an ashes so close i would prefer something like hazlewood johnson ahmed lyon and the allrounder but they may want to add the extra frontline quick to share the work around.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Chanderpaul has had two below par series against South Africa and England.

There has been hardly anyone banging let alone tapping on the door for his spot.

He has been the Windies most consistent player for the past 20 years. He deserves to go out on his own terms.

No. I agree with the Windies decision. A test match is your best team. Deliberately weakening your team so that someone can have a Farewell match is wrong.
If they reckon Chanderpaul is not up to it, and not likely to get back to where he was, he should be excluded.

Siddle reinforces his popgun status

Perhaps not the right thread - but anyone else think Johnson might lose his spot in the upcoming ashes.

Genuinely down on pace making him far less potent, particularly on slower wickets. If Starc can produce with the red ball and Harris recapture fitness, I wouldn't be surprised to see MJ miss out later in the series

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
No. I agree with the Windies decision. A test match is your best team. Deliberately weakening your team so that someone can have a Farewell match is wrong.
If they reckon Chanderpaul is not up to it, and not likely to get back to where he was, he should be excluded.
He is still in their best six batsmen in my opinion. He should not be written off, but at the least he deserves a final series.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
He's making runs though. Chanderpaul hasn't for an extnended period of time. Fantastic player though, truly unique to watch
It's not an extended period... His last 12 tests has averaged 49. But only 16 in his last 6 tests.

BUT, it's worth pointing out since April 2012 when Shiv tonned up against Australia he has scored 5 tons in 24 tests. 3 v Bangladesh, 1 v Zimbabwe, 1 v NZ.

He has averaged 60 in that period, but that is helped by averaging a massive 624 against Bangladesh during this period. He's done well v NZ, but struggled against England (ave 36), India (ave 44, only 4 innings) and South Africa (ave 18).

So he's definitely feasted on some poor attacks over the last 3 years.

But I still would have given him this Australian series to sort it out and see if that is the end.

He has been an absolute rock for West Indies for some time now.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's not an extended period... His last 12 tests has averaged 49. But only 16 in his last 6 tests.

BUT, it's worth pointing out since April 2012 when Shiv tonned up against Australia he has scored 5 tons in 24 tests. 3 v Bangladesh, 1 v Zimbabwe, 1 v NZ.

He has averaged 60 in that period, but that is helped by averaging a massive 624 against Bangladesh during this period. He's done well v NZ, but struggled against England (ave 36), India (ave 44, only 4 innings) and South Africa (ave 18).

So he's definitely feasted on some poor attacks over the last 3 years.

But I still would have given him this Australian series to sort it out and see if that is the end.

He has been an absolute rock for West Indies for some time now.

I love him as a player, but averaging 16 in the 12 innings when you're 40 isn't enough. This is subjective opinion but when you're 40 I think you have less leeway than a younger player finding his way. They could probably given him this series turn it around, as you've pointed out a lot. But I think it's far from a terrible decision.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Yeah I wouldn't say it's a terrible decision. The South African's sorted him right out and he looked at sea against the Poms. There was going to be no respite against the Aussies, but he's bounced back a few times.

But you're right - at 40 the end can come very quick... For most people the end can come very quick about 32, 33 so he has done well outrageously well to keep going this long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oaktree

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's clear he has had a bad past 6 tests.

But when you have had a very consistent career, the most consistent in the past 25 years from the Caribbean, you deserve some grace.

To say he isn't in the best six batsmen is based on a very short memory.

I would argue he is still the team's most prized wicket.

Samuels and Bravo are probably the most dangerous but not that consistent. The other batsmen are still trying to lock in their place in the team.

Chanderpaul has been there for the Windies through thick and thin and gets shown the door at the first opportunity.

Last edited:
It's clear he has had a bad past 6 tests.

But when you have had a very consistent career, the most consistent in the past 25 years from the Caribbean, you deserve some grace.

To say he isn't in the best six batsmen is based on a very short memory.

I would argue he is still the team's most prized wicket.

Samuels and Bravo are probably the most dangerous but not that consistent. The other batsmen are still trying to lock in their place in the team.

Chanderpaul has been there for the Windies through thick and thin and gets shown the door at the first opportunity.
Sometimes the right decision isn't the easy one, or the popular one.

I think it is time.

Marsh gets a second the very next ball!

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Voges out LBW. Was hoping that Watson would miss so that he could play, but doesn't look as though it will be the case. Still, a 50 keeps him in the picture.

Shaun Marsh batting nicely from the bit I have been watching. Joined out there by brother Mitch who's just drilled one back past the bowler for four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back