Daniel Menzel 'returned to footy' progress updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally. It was a non contact drill. I was responding to the statement that all he can basically do is walk in a straight line. And his issue right now is a hammy strain which is not unreasonable given his time out of the game and the rehab he's undergone.

Im not saying he is gonna make it back, but at least people can deal in some facts.

Go Catters
I agree... but the comment you made was replying to someone who said he couldn't see him being able to do it like he used to be able to

And I think that's a perfectly fair comment, given the amount of ops he has had I wouldn't expect him to be able to move like he could, that's not to say he won't be able to move reasonably well still.

I'm semi thinking about going to see Menz's lecture on Wednesday night since I'll be in Geelong anyway, but I'm not entirely sure if it will be my thing or not. I read on his instagram post about it that it's meant for Deakin Health students and other professionals, but I'm a law student, so I'd probably turn up and the lecture would contain a lot of health-science mumbo jumbo that I would hardly understand. I guess overall it would be at least mildly interesting though, so I'll have to ponder what to do.

I'm semi thinking about going to see Menz's lecture on Wednesday night since I'll be in Geelong anyway, but I'm not entirely sure if it will be my thing or not. I read on his instagram post about it that it's meant for Deakin Health students and other professionals, but I'm a law student, so I'd probably turn up and the lecture would contain a lot of health-science mumbo jumbo that I would hardly understand. I guess overall it would be at least mildly interesting though, so I'll have to ponder what to do.

He's quite shy, so more power too him for getting up there in an overwhelming environment.
Then again, he'd have to be an expert in fielding questions about his injuries, and dodging
clowns at the supermarket. :eek:
Had a gutful of the mumbo jumbo with final exams this week, but might go anyway.

I have a friend on who works closely with Chris Bradshaw. So I had him inquire about the Menzel situation.

The word is that the club still has high aspirations for him to return and have an impact, so they are treating him like Cersei Lannister to ensure that he is 100% ready to go. And there is zero talk of retirement, that's not an option. It's not the knees at all that are the complication, it's the hamstrings, so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but at least it's some sort of clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend on who works closely with Chris Bradshaw. So I had him inquire about the Menzel situation.

The word is that the club still has high aspirations for him to return and have an impact, so they are treating him like Cersei Lannister to ensure that he is 100% ready to go. And there is zero talk of retirement, that's not an option. It's not the knees at all that are the complication, it's the hamstrings, so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but at least it's some sort of clarity.

That is fantastic.
I know he's had a huge job done on his knees and putting him back on the park would undo all the hard work he's done in rehab. Two years rehabbing for one mis-step and a millisecond of pain in undoing everything. I'm happy for them to reduce the chance of that happening again by keeping him out until he's absolutely ready to go. In which case he'll be subject only to the whims of the Injury Fairy.

Last edited:
That is fantastic.
I know he's had a huge job done on his knees and putting him back on the park would undo all the hard work he's done in rehab. Two hears rehabbing for one mis-step and a millisecond of pain in undoing everything. I'm happy for them to reduce the chance of that happening again by keeping him out until he's absolutely ready to go. In which case he'll be subject only to the whims of the Injury Fairy.

That Injury Fairy isn't whimsical when it comes to GFC, he's downright vindictive.

That Injury Fairy can take its bag of disaster plaster it's spreading around and * right off. Im done with its interventions this year.

Its funny too as how people are saying its still the knees that are keeping Menz at bay - when now its the hammy. Same for Cowan. Josh has not has an achilles issue for years since the corrective surgeries and now its his hammy as well.

Both hamstring issues are not uncommon as the un game tested body gets back into game work. As they say, nothing replaces game time. Not even practice.

Of course, any issue to their recovery just baits the " how long can they take " crowd -and fair enough too. There has to be a limit to their timelines.

Go Catters

SPOILER ALERT

Cersei just got thrown into a cell so...
New approach for Cats physios ay ;)
Lock Menz up so he can't do anything to hurt himself :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if he came back and has lost a significant amount of athleticism, his hands were always the strongest part of his game. I doubt he's lost any of that strength and judgement. He'd still be an almighty tough proposition for defenders if played inside forward fifty. He's actually 190cm tall and not 188cm, as listed on the GFC website, so that is a nice size for a forward.

Even if he came back and has lost a significant amount of athleticism, his hands were always the strongest part of his game. I doubt he's lost any of that strength and judgement. He'd still be an almighty tough proposition for defenders if played inside forward fifty. He's actually 190cm tall and not 188cm, as listed on the GFC website, so that is a nice size for a forward.

Maybe, maybe not Bob. He won't be any kind of threat if he can't run or turn.

First things first, get him out in the VFL and very gradually get back into the flow of actually playing competitive matchday footy. See what happens after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back