Hot Topic It's Official - Bye Mick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I'll bow out after this comment because I've nothing further to add on whats clearly just a different valuation of Micks coaching ability, and the stated position that only people who've chosen "Carlton supporter" on their profile are worthy of having a conversation with.

Because that's clearly what I said ...

I indulged your conversation. You were just finding new ways to restate the same things and they all add up to Mick = good. Carlton = bad and dismissal of anything else.

Being our board the onus is on you to recognise an impasse and move on respectfully rather than attempt to brow beat us into submission.

If you're quoting me, would you mind pointing out the back-flip, because I'm not aware of it.
I definitely was not quoting you Harker, you just happened to be the most recent post.
Huge falling out among senior posters.........insiders believe both positions now untenable..........crisis talks expected tonight............read Robbo's in-depth report here www.turdinabowl.com.au

Last edited:
You seem determined to take the board down because of Shane Rogers. Most would be happy for some change, but that change is available through the application and voting process and not just the board spill route. We are going to struggle getting anything done with this underlying anger at the board bubbling away.
You are right about one thing... all the board spill petitions are going about it the wrong way. We need to tee up some candidates for the replacement board first and the go the EGM route.

Big Sim

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
I tread carefully on your board and understand you will be sensitive

Interested to read the various views on Micks interview tonight. I thought it was disingenuous and self serving. It reinforced for me why you had no option but to sack him in the end and are better off without him. I say that as someone who in the past has had a pretty high view of MM. He has left me cold recent times and tonight reinforced that.

Couple of points I really didn't like. His feigned surprise that anyone could have interpreted his remarks about the board, Betts and Trigg as being anything other than a man trying to be truthful. He has coached for 30 years and he knows exactly the impact those statements would make. They achieved their design. For him now to pretend innocence marks the rest of us as potential fools.

His comments about the reality of the list when he started at Carlton were contrived. It's one thing to say I am only positive so say positive things when asked. If he believed his public comments were so far from the truth he shouldn't have uttered them. Next breath he was saying he wanted to cull 15+ players in his 1st season and was surprised when he was told no. This is just fabrication. He has been doing this for 30 years. He knows with contracts, salary caps etc you cannot get rid of so many players in one year. It's impossible. Even if it wasn't it too many it would just gut a list to be so brutal. I have to believe he said such a thing because it suited his narrative tonight not because it was true

Last point was his supposed protection of the "young" Mark Murphy. If I was Murphy I would be ropable to be spoken about in such a condescending fashion by my coach. He may have well just neutered him. Murphy is one of the senior captains in the AFL. He is 10 seasons into a career, nearly 200 games, about to turn 28 yo and in his 3rd season as captain. After Judd and Simpson he is the next most experienced player at the club. At a guess I would reckon 3 seasons is about average for how long a player remains as captain. Murphy is much better than the poor wet behind the ears player Mick made him out to be. He doesn't need to be spoken about in such weak terms. Again it suited Micks narrative

I am sorry to intrude too much. Just wanted to express a view.

In hindsight Carltons problem was the appointment of MM. His dismissal was needed because he was damaging the club to his own ends.

Tonight is probably the only time I have felt even a little tinge of sadness for Carlton.
Thanks mate, I was about to post pretty much exactly what you have, saved me the trouble.

But I will repeat the words "disingenuous and self serving" because that was it in a nutshell.

Compare Mick's exit with Ratts's: the latter was all class and dignity, the former none of either. But he did get paid handsomely for his spin, a bit of icing on the half million dollar blue cake he is taking away with him.

pepalenko

rolling with my cronies
May 4, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, SanFransisco 49s, Yankees
Senior posters have my full support. They can't write the posts for me, or 'like' posts I agree with. At the endof the day, I have to be accountable for the amount of time i waste on the internet. I feel sorry for my followers.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Look I'll bow out after this comment because I've nothing further to add on whats clearly just a different valuation of Micks coaching ability, and the stated position that only people who've chosen "Carlton supporter" on their profile are worthy of having a conversation with.

But since you bought up West Coast: No, I don't hate Mick for only winning us 2 flags. And I don't hate him for going to Collingwood because there is a lot to be said for getting out before the list starts to stagnate. Love Worsfold, who arguably could of won us more than one too, but glad he had the balls to go when he did because the list is obviously thriving under Simpson.

Carlton in '95 and Essendon in 2000 are the 2 most dominant teams I ever saw, those teams took away just 1 each. Premierships are rare. Realistic supporters realise they're a privilege not a right. Good luck with your perennial search to find the coach and poach the recruit to take you from bottom to top without the inconvenience of some failure long the way. I'll be over here on the west coast toasting Ross "0 from 5" Lyon finally taking Fremantle all the way this year, and looking forward to my boys being not far behind him.

Cheers and peace out.

Wise choice!

Peacock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Oh boy Mick has really lost his marbles, I'd feel sorry for the guy if it wasn't our club he was destroying.

He clearly appears to have gone a bit senile and has a few different psychological disorders including extreme anxiety and some level of paranoia, he should really look at getting some treatment/meds to help him (that's not intended to be sarcastic).

So many parts of the interview were so out of touch with reality I just rolled my eyes. A few thoughts on the bits of the interview I remember:

Quite often through the interview GW would ask him a question and he would just go off on some other unrelated tangent and he would have to ask the question again.

I almost coughed up my dinner when he said in 4-5 years Murphy will be 29-30 and a great captain. :rolleyes:

He said he spends most of his time building 'hope' with the players and said the game plan wasn't very important, then goes on to say they changed the game plan lots of times - no wonder the players had lost faith in him, they want to play a modern hard running, possession style game like the other clubs and he is sitting them down and talking about hope and sticking together. :rolleyes:

He talked repeatedly about being positive all the time and then trashes the list every after match press conference.

You would think the way he was talking 'needing a bit more time' we were 4-4 and being competitive compared with reality, 60+ point beltings every week and uncompetitive. The bloke seriously thinks he was hard done by getting sacked.

Says bright times are ahead for Carlton because you just rebuild around Murphy, Gibbs, Henderson - really showed how out of touch he is with the current AFL system with this comment, and further highlights why he thought it would be so easy to get in a few recycled players and cut corners.

He talks about how coming out and saying we are rebuilding after round 2 was a massive mistake, when reality is he was the biggest sponsor of it because he thought it would take the pressure off him and it would be easier for him to get another contract. I would have liked Gerard to probe further here and ask if he attended all the meetings about 'rebuilding' and get him to admit he was a big supporter of it.

He honestly believes he has a good relationship with Trigg after making an accusation that could have cost him his career.

Made a cheap and stupid dig at MLo, I'm sure he knows a footy club is different to a regular business.

I think he is seriously deluded in regard to the relationship he has with the players, watching them closely interact the previous couple of years the only one who seriously seems in love with him is Dale Thomas. I don't think Hardwick is a great coach, but watching Hardwick interact with his players compared to Mick is as different as chalk and cheese.

He said he wishes he had of been told at the end of 2014 not to coach 2015, but I bet he would have wanted his nice fat $1.2m salary for 2015 for no work. Meanwhile we would have to find another $700k on top of that to appoint another senior coach.:mad:

Overall I thought he came across as entitled, delusional and not very likeable. So happy the Malthouse chapter has finished.

Mark Maclure made the best comment I've seen by the media, something along the lines of 'Carlton supporters have finally got their club back'.

Oh boy Mick has really lost his marbles, I'd feel sorry for the guy if it wasn't our club he was destroying.

He clearly appears to have gone a bit senile and has a few different psychological disorders including extreme anxiety and some level of paranoia, he should really look at getting some treatment/meds to help him (that's not intended to be sarcastic).

So many parts of the interview were so out of touch with reality I just rolled my eyes. A few thoughts on the bits of the interview I remember:

Quite often through the interview GW would ask him a question and he would just go off on some other unrelated tangent and he would have to ask the question again.

I almost coughed up my dinner when he said in 4-5 years Murphy will be 29-30 and a great captain. :rolleyes:

He said he spends most of his time building 'hope' with the players and said the game plan wasn't very important, then goes on to say they changed the game plan lots of times - no wonder the players had lost faith in him, they want to play a modern hard running, possession style game like the other clubs and he is sitting them down and talking about hope and sticking together. :rolleyes:

He talked repeatedly about being positive all the time and then trashes the list every after match press conference.

You would think the way he was talking 'needing a bit more time' we were 4-4 and being competitive compared with reality, 60+ point beltings every week and uncompetitive. The bloke seriously thinks he was hard done by getting sacked.

Says bright times are ahead for Carlton because you just rebuild around Murphy, Gibbs, Henderson - really showed how out of touch he is with the current AFL system with this comment, and further highlights why he thought it would be so easy to get in a few recycled players and cut corners.

He talks about how coming out and saying we are rebuilding after round 2 was a massive mistake, when reality is he was the biggest sponsor of it because he thought it would take the pressure off him and it would be easier for him to get another contract. I would have liked Gerard to probe further here and ask if he attended all the meetings about 'rebuilding' and get him to admit he was a big supporter of it.

He honestly believes he has a good relationship with Trigg after making an accusation that could have cost him his career.

Made a cheap and stupid dig at MLo, I'm sure he knows a footy club is different to a regular business.

I think he is seriously deluded in regard to the relationship he has with the players, watching them closely interact the previous couple of years the only one who seriously seems in love with him is Dale Thomas. I don't think Hardwick is a great coach, but watching Hardwick interact with his players compared to Mick is as different as chalk and cheese.

He said he wishes he had of been told at the end of 2014 not to coach 2015, but I bet he would have wanted his nice fat $1.2m salary for 2015 for no work. Meanwhile we would have to find another $700k on top of that to appoint another senior coach.:mad:

Overall I thought he came across as entitled, delusional and not very likeable. So happy the Malthouse chapter has finished.

Mark Maclure made the best comment I've seen by the media, something along the lines of 'Carlton supporters have finally got their club back'.
Garbage.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton

Even if the rest of your post wasn't complete garbage, this bit here is pretty ******* awful.

Broadside

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton

Maclure is half right. Board needs to be challenged and made accountable. Many of the same faces / factions that made the disastrous Malthouse appointment after extending Ratten's contract are still there. It's not a "new" board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peacock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Even if the rest of your post wasn't complete garbage, this bit here is pretty ******* awful.

Just calling it as I see it. I really hope he gets some help. On the inside you can tell he is going at a million miles an hour, not healthy.

adnrw

Draftee
Jul 7, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton

... but Whateley did ask him. He said he was fully behind the rebuild, and that in fact at the end of his first year he tried to kickstart it by getting rid of a dozen players but was hamstrung by the board. His issue was with the way it was handled publicly–particularly after round two this year–due to the pressure it put on the team.

Whether or not you believe that's what happened is a separate issue, but I think the questions were asked and answered in the interview last night.

Is that your esteemed medical opinion? I thought he actually came across as remarkably lucid considering what's gone on in his life in the last five days. I personally feel that Malthouse at Carlton was a bad experiment that was handled poorly by all parties at every step of the way. Again it's up to you whether you believe what he says, but unless you're a trained professional (and you may well be) it's not fair that you comment on his state of mind like that.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
I watched about half of the interview last night. I didn't turn it off. I joined it watching my Foxtel Go in bed.

I was surprised at how normal and convivial it all appeared to be. Mick clearly cares about the 'group' inside the club. 'My boys' is a quaint way of expressing love for the playing group. His concern for his assistants and their future is genuine. His six year old grandson being a blue boy and remaining one makes him the grandad I'd like to have had. It appears he told the Board straight away that he had to 'rebuild' the group to make them successful. I was a little sad that he threw out his magnetic board. It should have been saved for a museum.

I can only judge on what I see. I'm not qualified to psychoanalyse. I saw love, sympathy, hurt, loyalty, honesty and a doting grandad.

To all the haters the spoils.

In finishing it might be a strange observation but I think Mick and Carlton are fine. I'm not so certain about Mick and Collingwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back