Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated in another thread, the response to Goodes it typical of the s**t on this site. He is predictably damned by the vast majority. He is hated because he has been vocal about the racism of Australia's colonial past, in a way other aboriginal footballers haven't. He is hated for being a bit too proud of his heritage and 'aggressively' showing it. He had the 'audacity' to call out a teenager for calling him an ape. That is why he is hated. It has nothing to do with free kicks. How else do you explain a man who has been brilliant on field and a role model off it, being booed every time he sets foot in Melbourne. It is shameful. I mean, how dare he put on a display of his heritage in indigenous round. How selfish.

Last edited:
The bottom line is Adam Goodes is passionate about his culture and his people and he is to be fully admired for that. If you took a poll asking people if his actions at the mcg last year teamed with his actions tonight were inclusive or divisive then i think a majority of the public would say the later. I think he has great intentions but he hasn't channeled his approach like say Michael Long has for example. Long's dialogue is always inclusive. The other issue is sometimes its hard to take a measured approach to something when your adrenaline is running high on a sporting arena. I welcome Adam Goodes voicing his opinions on racism and aboriginal issues off the ground for many many years but I think he may need to take a step back with his on field actions.
Why?

Why is it up to others to dictate whether it is, or is not appropriate for Goodes to engage in advocacy or show pride in his culture?

Maybe self reflection by those who feel threatened is more important.

Will Ash provide his well-thought out, channel 7-destroying insight on the incident?

h7HZkXD.png

What i dont get is why he would want to do a war dance after a soft mark and goal. When was the last time anyone even saw goodsy put his head over the ball. Bloody hell hes a 195cm 100kg athlete and he plays like an out side goal sneak.

If a white fella acts like a flog hes called a flog and no one bats an eye . When Adam Goodes acts like a flog its racist.

• You're acting like he did actually spear them. It was a goal celebration, you're deliberately drawing negative connotations from it just to add to what has now become borderline hysteria. This could, and should, have received no more than a comment in passing from all concerned and moved on from. 26 ******* pages and all of it is faux outrage.
As opposed to ?...

Wow this has really upset the establishment its obvious society wants Goodes and what he represents stamped out

Yep....Being the number 1 AFL establishment pet With all their media machines behind him in toe....Meanwhile, you're idea of 'establishment' AKA; the common-folk, have only one recourse left open to them....To boo the crap out of him & what he represents as a formal protest.

As stated in another thread, the response to Goodes it typical of the s**t on this site. He is predictably damned by the vast majority. He is hated because he has been vocal about the racism of Australia's colonial past, in a way other aboriginal footballers haven't. He is hated for being a bit too proud of his heritage and 'aggressively' showing it. He had the 'audacity' to call out a teenager for calling him an ape. That is why he hated. It has nothing to do with free kicks. How else do you explain a man who has been brilliant on field and an role model off it, being booed overtime he sets foot in Melbourne. It is shameful. I'm mean, how dear he put on a display of his heritage in indigenous round. How selfish.
Why are we pretending Adam Goodes is the first footballer to speak up about racism?

Clearly Goodes was booed last week by Hawthorn supporters. How the media are trying to infer that Carlton supporters were booing him tonight is beyond me. His provactive celebration clearly aimed at the only Carlton section in the ground is something that has the potential to incite the crowd and it offends me as a Carlton supporter that these people have flown to Sydney in j such a rubbish season and have to put up with that from him and the media press conference were trying to blame it on our supporters. Indigenous round is supposed to celebrate inclusion and to me Goodes' act is divisive.

Post. Of. The. Yeast. It was a very intimidating and divisive dance because it was an Aboriginal dance and a war dance! The white guys couldn't do that dance (unless they practiced a lot of course) and that just proves my point. If you are going to do a dance, do one that EVERYONE can do. Like the Macarena or the Nutbush City Limits by Tina Turner. The last time I saw such an intimidating dance was at a Beyoncé concert. My wife took me and Beyoncé asked the crowd to do a single ladies dance. Now, how was I going to do that? I'm not single, and I'm not a lady. And my wife isn't even single either (So I didn't let her do the dance).

You're acting like he did actually spear them. It was a goal celebration, you're deliberately drawing negative connotations from it just to add to what has now become borderline hysteria. This could, and should, have received no more than a comment in passing from all concerned and moved on from. 26 ******* pages and all of it is faux outrage.

You honestly spoke about it like it was some unspeakable sin.
Calm down, mate. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of his motivation, why Carlton? Why tonight?

We were already 40pts down with no hope. There'd been no angst from the crowd that I could see - Carlton's supporter base is flat as flat in Melbourne, let alone the few that show up in Sydney. Carlton has had its own worries with discrimination over the years due to its large ethnic make-up, and has been pretty proactive in accepting indigenous players for decades.

On face value, everything about this stinks. There was no need for it.

I find it interesting that Goodes wasn't booed for the first 300 odd games of his career- but after he started becoming extremely active speaking about racism and after he called out that Collingwood fan for calling him a gorilla it has now become a regular occurrence.

But of course racism has absolutely nothing at all to do with it. Not one skerrick of racism involved. Nope. Nothing. Not a bit.

People claiming that Goodes is inciting some fans by a show of indigenous pride.

Same people claiming that crowd isn't racist.

Weird how someone who isn't racist would get incited or offended by a show of indigenous pride

Were they offended because it was Aboriginal or were they offended by a player celebrating in their face?

How do you know?

Post. Of. The. Yeast. It was a very intimidating and divisive dance because it was an Aboriginal dance and a war dance! The white guys couldn't do that dance (unless they practiced a lot of course) and that just proves my point. If you are going to do a dance, do one that EVERYONE can do. Like the Macarena or the Nutbush City Limits by Tina Turner. The last time I saw such an intimidating dance was at a Beyoncé concert. My wife took me and Beyoncé asked the crowd to do a single ladies dance. Now, how was I going to do that? I'm not single, and I'm not a lady. And my wife isn't even single either (So I didn't let her do the dance).

This post made no ******* sense.

look mate, they haven't called you racist. You're putting words into other people's mouths to trivialise their argument.

Goodes isn't a sacred and untouchable individual. Boo. But just look at the wiki edit to see that people dislike him due to his race.
SO don't blanket all hawthorn supports and pretend that you have ascertained all their motives and can speak on their behalf.
eally

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/sydney...gn_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_twitter

http://www.sen.com.au/news/05-15/tim-watson-on-caro-s-adam-goodes-story

Yeah that's not what the media said... Also I don't claim to speak for all Hawks Supporters, but as a Hawks Supporter, the media certainly tried to tar me with the one brush..

I find it interesting that Goodes wasn't booed for the first 300 odd games of his career- but after he started becoming extremely active speaking about racism and after he called out that Collingwood fan for calling him a gorilla it has now become a regular occurrence.

But of course racism has absolutely nothing at all to do with it. Not one skerrick of racism involved. Nope. Nothing. Not a bit.
In what world wasn't he booed until last year?

He was booed plenty.

Australia is a racist country - fact. The booing of Adam Goodes is a manifestation of the casual racism & tall-poppy syndrome (that is another matter in itself) in Australia. I have no doubt that you casual racists boo him because you think he is a tosser, what concerns me is why you think he is a tosser...

Indigenous man takes pride in his heritage and does a traditional war-cry tribute and a concerning amount of people scream "flog". People, try and dress that up any way other for me...
Generalisations and hyperbole. I'd be curious what the reaction would be if it was anyone but Adam Goodes. Must admit my reaction was pretty much 'Goodesy again :rolleyes:', it comes off as sanctimonious rather than enlightening. Very difficult to pinpoint how much of the reaction has been due to the act and how much has been due to the man.

Booing is mostly racially motivated. Hardly booed before Collingwood and Triple Chins McGuire. Since then he's been labelled a flog, diver, stager, dirty campaigner, sniper and any many sorts of racist term.
He was labelled those things for years before that game.

That's right, we like it when they football, nothing too confronting there.

Better not ever use a national platform to discuss race issues though
It's not a national platform for discussion of issues. He wasn't discussing an issue. While we're at it, what is the issue? He's saying 'I'm Aboriginal and proud'? That's nice. Most people are proud of who they are I think. I tend to like to get more into specifics if we're going to discuss issues - how do you do that during a football game though? One might say 'here we are' due to the act taking place - but the act takes centre stage, there will be very little discussion of the issues themselves.

Why are we pretending Adam Goodes is the first footballer to speak up about racism?
No, no he is not. But he has written and spoken about the racist history of white and indigenous relations in this country in an unflinching way that is unique. That is what pisses people. He is too political, too outspoken, and too proud.

Dermie's chicken walk was an inclusive dance

Brutus The Barber Beefcake.

Fun for the whole family after the Family Club kick another goal!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back