Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No, no he is not. But he has written and spoken about the racist history of white and indigenous relations in this country in an unflinching way that is unique. That is what pisses people. He is too political, too outspoken, and too proud.
Eh?

By saying nothing and doing nothing controversial for 15 years... and when his career draws to a close, he suddenly becomes an outspoken aboriginal activist, poses for the Sydney Morning Herald photographer like he was Nicky Winmar lifting up his jumper up…. and then a couple of days later he victimises a twelve year old girl?

Then he does a war dance on Friday night footy!!!!!!!!!! :D

So brave. So proud. So confronting.

Maybe next year after Goodesy has retired, he can get Lindsay Thomas to take over as the boss man in charge of sticking it up the racist white fellas

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
imo this thread needs more use of the word 'flog'
Yes, I think I've read enough of it to get the picture now.

Raised by a single mother, who was stolen from her family. Pick #43 in national draft. Gone on to two Brownlows, two premierships, four GFs, four times AA, 444 goals, more career games than all but ten other players in the entire history of the game.

But nah. Massive flog, because Big Footy.

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nah man. Told me enough about your ability to think logically.
I also don't think your IA and thus forgive me for thinking your F.O.S.
Skimishes seriously.
Face it and just admit you F Upped making the statement about it being 60000 years old. I mean you were close only 59998 years out.
What do you mean? You're getting all insulty. Tell me your point. As far as I can read it it goes something like this
- I said the dance represented dances going back 60000 years
- I also said he learned in off the Boomerang Boys - a couple years worth of tradition, probs.
- you said that this was a contradiction
- I said it that the Boomerang Boys dancing repped the traditional dancing
- you said I'm FOS

Have I missed something?

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling
If anyone thinks he done his little jig to celebrate anything other than to stick it up the Carlton fans in the cheer squad, then you are kidding yourselves.

He made a beeline for them,

Why not celebrate in front of your own adoring fans ?

Because he wants to make a statement, uber flog.

I don't always agree with him, but I'm loving seeing him shove it up people who defend their bullshit with "I supported Nicky Winmar in 94". Goodes' statements are political, and they rile people up because they cross the line rather than sitting in some comfortable zone that is easy to digest for Anglos. Inequality is real, it happens all the time in this country (we all supported the Indigenous players when they protested the community closures) and the way people react to Goodes' 'provocation' is proof that it's all alive and well. They don't think that he may be more aware than them of what's going on, they just get stuck into him. He's not perfect, but what he is is a 358 game dual Brownlow winner who deserves his platform and, more importantly, some respect. Especially from those who claim to love footy.
This isn't his platform though. Indigenous round is the platform, it is about education, tolerance and harmony. This isn't the 80s or 90s surely there are enough tolerant and smarter Australians in the modern era that we've moved beyond (ambiguous) political points and confrontation. Yes, racism is inherent in Australian society but in my view nothing has done better at closing the cultural divide and ousting racism than the game of Australian Rules footy.

What Goodes did tonight was not a 'Nicky Winmar' moment. It wasn't even a 2013 Goodes moment where he boldly and responsibly made a stand. This was always going to cause discussion and those Carlton supporters who were on the receiving end didn't deserve to be made out as the culturally ignorant people that aggressive dance made them look and feel.

Goodes downplayed the whole thing but it wasn't a great look. It took a lot of people by surprise and the pro and anti Goodes people couldn't post quickly enough but I just think he de-powered indigenous round tonight. For everything he passionately believes reconciliation and indigenous round to stand for, for some reason it just wasn't adequate enough without taking command and riling the ignorant Australians out there like he's the Jerry Adams of the indigenous movement.

Ripper Rioli

Senior List
Aug 4, 2008
Chelsea Heights
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Umpires get booed for doing their job every time they step out on the field. If an aboriginal becomes an umpire can we boo them or will this be considered racist? Why is it not discriminatory to boo umpires, they are minority, just trying to earn a living? Multiple players across the league get booed every game, this is an issue because Goodes wants it to be an issue. Ird not racially involved because Hawthorn supporters don't boo Betts, Garlett, Bennell etc etc

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I hope someone does one of those lightsaber gifs with it.
light-saber-cat.gif
I can't stop watching this :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 1, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Not watching the game because, you know, Carlton...But just saw the celebration. **** me man...Seriously. Is there a bigger "LOOK AT ME!!! PLEASE LOOK AT ME!!" guy in AFL history?

164606-warwick-capper-039-s-inglorious-career.jpg

Jacko_I'm_an_Individual.jpg

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
You mean when he pointed the finger at a 13 year old girl who called him an ape? (not gorilla). And how he didn't show an ounce of regret about how he handled things afterwards? and how in his Australian of the Year speech, he said something along the lines of "remember, this is our land, we were here first"?

If you could remove your head from the extreme-left mindset, you might've figured out that he's getting booed for the way he handled things, and not because of his skin colour.
How should he have handled it. We're they not here first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back