Play Nice Adam Goodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow just imagine the up roar if we had a Caucasian round and someone like Stevie J did a white man war dance.

fb55e926306ad22ff48fa3d2b3411c0e.jpg

Jeff76

Premiership Player
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Why is it so hard to understand that, for 8 seconds, his focus might not have been on what white people think of him, but rather on what Indigenous people think of him - and more importantly, what Indigenous people think of themselves?

As he said after the game, he didn't invent the dance (so presumably, didn't invent the spear throw). It was a tribute to a group of Under 16s kids who did.
Bullshit

Lester Burnham

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok fella. Back up a second. Let's look at what Goodes did. It was a traditional dance. How many traditional head severing, bomb throwing dances do you know?

It was a traditional dance that Goodes had to be taught. Why, because he did not grow up in traditional Aborigine communities.

So, how about other players in different circumstances such as pretending to machine gun the crowd, throw hand grenades or behead people? They might claim they are 'traditional' to their cultures.

Secondly, yes. The SCG is on Eora country.

Adam Goodes has no affiliation to the Eora people.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why is it so hard to understand that, for 8 seconds, his focus might not have been on what white people think of him, but rather on what Indigenous people think of him - and more importantly, what Indigenous people think of themselves?

As he said after the game, he didn't invent the dance (so presumably, didn't invent the spear throw). It was a tribute to a group of Under 16s kids who did.
Yeah, a premeditated dance which he picked up from the Under 16's knowing full well he was going to get a few boos

I reckon he will laugh about it with the boys when he sees them next
One of them will imitate Ted Whitten and say "Ya stuck it up 'em, Boss!!!"

Why is that so hard for anyone to understand?

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
I know that Wilkipeadia isn't viewed as a good source of information but according to the webpage on the Eora nation, they died out in the 18th century, or is Goodes from a different group.

You miss understand the eora nation No longer exists, just as over 200 indigenous nations no longer exist.
and although around 70% of the Eora NATION was depopulated in the 18th century, the Eora people still exist.

Adam Goodes's heritage is of the Adnyamathanha peoples. Which is from the flinders rangers.

YES! YES! YES!

All Australian
May 4, 2014
Disputed Western Sahara Region
AFL Club
Melbourne
I agree. Indigenous round should be scrapped. When campaigners like Goodes are using it for their own self interest it is counterproductive to any intended benefit.
It's not so much Goodes acting out against a crowd.

I just don't like this notion of acknowledging Aboriginal players as a member of a race.

I would much rather people acknowledge them as being talented or hard working footballer.

The colour of someone's skin or their origins should be irrelevant as markers of identity. What they set out to achieve in life as individuals should be how they are recognised and remembered.

CountryRace

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 25, 2014
https://archive.org/details/WarIsARacket
AFL Club
Fremantle

I just don't like this notion of acknowledging Aboriginal players as a member of a race.

I would much rather people acknowledge them as being talented or hard working footballer.

The colour of someone's skin or their origins should be irrelevant as markers of identity. What they set out to achieve in life as individuals should be how they are recognised and remembered.

Tough t***ies ?

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
It was a traditional dance that Goodes had to be taught. Why, because he did not grow up in traditional Aborigine communities.

So, how about other players in different circumstances such as pretending to machine gun the crowd, throw hand grenades or behead people? They might claim they are 'traditional' to their cultures.

Adam Goodes has no affiliation to the Eora people.
Firstly, traditions are tought. That's how they're learned. Secondly, he was repping a local group.

Thirdly, the Eora nation is not a people but a section of land (kinda like a state) stretching from Sydney out to the Blue Mountains. It is home to many nations including Goodes'.

Opinion noted.

Goodes however disagrees, and I'm sure everyone agrees that this is what makes our nation great - freedom of choice and expression.

If you don't agree ....can I ask - Why do you hate Australia and our way of life?

King Notorious

There is only one☝♕
May 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Napoli, AUFC, Lakers, Patriots
I don't even want to know what's going to happen if people lose their s**t over this. Seems nobody can express themselves

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't agree. Acknowledgment is earned (or at least it is in my opinion).

You can't earn being Indigenous. You're either born with it or your not.

You can earn the reputation of being a great footballer by working hard and achieving results on the field.

"Earnings" rather than "beings" is what I think should be acknowledged in the AFL.
Not in human rights it ain't. Race isn't internationally recognized anymore as it was mainly based off objective criteria. Mainly that of us putting our labels on stuff :(

Contemporay concepts of people's are based off self-identification. It largely includes cultural continuity, traditional lands, self concept, language and spirituality.

Again, it's not about us anymore and for good reason :)

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Goodes said they weren't booing him.
He didn't say that

Richo asked him if his goal celebration was "a reaction to anything untoward from the crowd"
Goodes said "Nah mate. Indigenous Round. Proud to be representing.."

There is nothing "untoward" about Goodes being heckled when he lines up a shot for goal

Travis Cloke would've turned to them, screamed and pumped his fists at them. Goodes did his Indigenous Round "war dance". Perfect. I think he shut most of them up. The boos died down after that. :D

He should of just found a worthy Carlton opponent and....actually now it is starting to make sense.
LOL

KnaveyBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2003
57 Mt. Pleasant Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
Explain to me how its divisive?

If you can't see how that stupid aggressive dance during reconciliation week at a bunch of sad, dispirited, and - let's be honest - almost entirely white people was divisive, then you've drank so much leftist Kool-Aid that you might start shitting Karl Marx. What did it have to do with football? And where do we draw the line?
Should a Jewish player be able to get in the face of Lebs? Should a Muslim player be able to scream in the face of Christian supporters? Hell, why not let English players sing God Save The Queen at any Frenchman they see in the crowd, lord knows they hate each other.

There's inequalities and injustices between just about all people on the planet, and when you condone or encourage it by degrees, you're just adding to the problem.

"Oh no no, it's OK when PeopleX do it, because PeopleY invaded them in the year 1586, and PeopleZ shouldn't be offended."

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Just a thought but maybe he could've arranged to do this prematch with his Indigenous teammates, so viewers had a bit more context? A bit like the Haka in NZ? That could've been immensely celebrated and informative, with more cultural context about what we're seeing.

I agree with the bit about context.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Explain to me how its divisive? In what way does doing something to represent his culture in any way affect your own societal or cultural standing? In what way is expressing pride in his culture at all a statement on any other culture?

I'm sick of reading this. What Goodes did tonight wasn't about you, it wasn't about white Australia - much as it might shock you to learn that it's not always about you, this was about Indigenous Australia.

White Australia and black people accommodating to white Australia need not be our focus 100% of the time, and you needn't take advocacy for the furthering of Indigenous opportunity so personally. No ones coming for your land mate.

He was saying, "I'm different to you. Hate me for it." He was inviting hate.

Lester Burnham

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Firstly, traditions are tought. That's how they're learned. Secondly, he was repping a local group.

Thirdly, the Eora nation is not a people but a section of land (kinda like a state) stretching from Sydney out to the Blue Mountains. It is home to many nations including Goodes'.

Goodes has picked his 'traditions'. He has mixed European and Aborigine ancestry and was not brought up in Aborigine communities. His war dance was completely contrived.

Goodes grew up in SA and Victoria. Absolute waffle that somehow the SCG is 'his land'.

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
That Australia is racist to the core (theme repeated while AotY). That racism is so endemic, even children espouse it.
Oh alright. I read it as that we still have along way to go. You may be right. Either way what is the bad thing in highlighting it? Not sure he was treating the nation like idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back