Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
Goodes has picked his 'traditions'. He has mixed European and Aborigine ancestry and was not brought up in Aborigine communities. His war dance was completely contrived.

Goodes grew up in SA and Victoria. Absolute waffle that somehow the SCG is 'his land'.
again it's about how he defines himself mate, not how how you define him. You can pick a religion can't you?

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh alright. I read it as that we still have along way to go. You may be right. Either way what is the bad thing in highlighting it? Not sure he was treating the nation like idiots.

My last comment on this, 'cos he doesn't really outrage me.

Great men do not divide. Goodes is not a great man.

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
He is a massive flog.

What he did is reverse racism IMO.

Why can't we all be Australians and not have to shove our ethnicity down other peoples throats. I have a Greek heritage but I don't mime throwing plates at people when I kick a goal.

BTW when are we having a Greek round?

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
Arrgh!! 2am!! Bloody hell. I'm coaching my boys u6 footy team tomorrow at 8am!!

Okay better wrap this up. Thanks for a good robust chit chat tonight guys! Good points on both sides of the argument. Can't imagine it going anywhere over the weekend so I hope that we can try to respect the grey of the issue.

The truth is in the middle somewhere. Getting pissy at each other for not agreeing ain't helping the argument. You wanna prove that we are on the right track? Show some patience and bash it out constructively :)

Have a good one friendos!

He is a massive flog.

What he did is reverse racism IMO.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAA!

I've been forclosing on a few "woe is the white man" mortgages lately.

Please accept this as your eviction notice.

YES! YES! YES!

All Australian
May 4, 2014
Disputed Western Sahara Region
AFL Club
Melbourne
Opinion noted.

Goodes however disagrees, and I'm sure everyone agrees that this is what makes our nation great - freedom of choice and expression.

If you don't agree ....can I ask - Why do you hate Australia and our way of life?
I'm not sure if I 100% understand you, but I said that Goodes doing his dance doesn't bother me (just as Acka doing his hand-stand didn't either).

Freedom of Speech is great as long as you don't force it down other people's throat. However, at the same time freedom of speech is a 2 way street.

It's just an ideology of mine to acknowledge an individual for their achievements and not their origin. I admit I am a bit of a meritocrat though.

I don't hate Australia and I don't hate Aboriginals (if that's what you're implying). I just want to see people acknowledge a footballer for their skills/achievements rather than their race. I'm not forcing that down anyone's throat though.

Apr 30, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
MUFC, Golden State Warriors
Arrgh!! 2am!! Bloody hell. I'm coaching my boys u6 footy team tomorrow at 8am!!

Okay better wrap this up. Thanks for a good robust chit chat tonight guys! Good points on both sides of the argument. Can't imagine it going anywhere over the weekend so I hope that we can try to respect the grey of the issue.

The truth is in the middle somewhere. Getting pissy at each other for not agreeing ain't helping the argument. You wanna prove that we are on the right track? Show some patience and bash it out constructively :)

Have a good one friendos!
It is s**t this conversation is even being had this weekend. Will join you in knocking off.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I don't like him because he's a diving sniper who I've seen go for players legs on so many occasions it's a disgrace he hasn't been rubbed out for an extended period.

God people cling to the most useless s**t...

Get over it already! The other players involved have probably forgotten it themselves.

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
And why wouldn't he purposefully direct it at the opposition supporters? What a strange question.

Let me ask you - why the friggen hell would he do it to his own supporters?

As I said in an earlier post, I've never seen a Haka done at a teams own supporters.
Generally when someone kicks a goal for their team they celebrate by acknowledging their supporters.

I've also never seen an athlete do the Haka mid game. Especially in a game that was over after 10 minutes.

I would say that the suggestion he do a war dance at his own fans is really stupid - but maybe it's just symptomatic of people's refusal to try and understand Australia's Indigenous culture.
Maybe it's just my poor understanding, but aren't war dances intended to intimidate an opponent before battle?

What message was Goodes trying to send by intimidating a group of spectators mid way through a one sided game?

I ask you again: do you think Goodes would have done this premeditated celebration had he not been in the news all week?

Apr 10, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Anaheim Angels, UA Crimson Tide
Hmm wonder what people thought when Andrew Symonds pointed out the racial abuse by Harbijan Singh?
As for the Dance, other sports have players celebrating infront of opposition supporters. Where is the outcry their???

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My last comment on this, 'cos he doesn't really outrage me.

Great men do not divide. Goodes is not a great man.
Good point, Ron

Overshadowed in all of this talk of tribal dancing was that Adam Goodes, the 350 game Sydney Swans legend was booed at the SCG on indigenous round. For me, that's the real story of the night. The dance was spectacular - I'd give him 8.5 - but the booing during the game was a massive eyebrow raiser. The Channel 7 commentators were certainly taken aback. I don't think anyone expected to hear Goodesy receive any boos on his own turf.

All week I've witnessed muppets in the media demonising the Hawthorn fans and calling them racist.
There was an article in The Age yesterday which criticised the Hawthorn club officials for not "silencing" their fans. o_O

I wonder what they'll say now? This proves the dislike for Goodes is not simply a Hawthorn thing. You only have to read everyone's opinions on here to see that's commonly shared view amongst fans of all persuasions. A large percentage of the football public doesn't like Goodes. Surely they're not all racist?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I wonder what they'll say now? This proves the dislike for Goodes is not simply a Hawthorn thing. It appears a large percentage of the football public doesn't like Goodes. Surely they're not all racist?

Well, it kind of rules out the whole "sniping"/"sliding" reasoning, too...

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Look I'm not racist but should we really have to put up with people of other races expressing themselves? Could we not just watch a game of football in Dreamtime round without an indigenous footballer shoving his culture down our throats for all of 8 seconds? I'm all for indigenous people taking pride in who they are, but why can't they do it in the privacy of their own bedrooms? Why should a very non-racist person like myself have to be oppressed so brutally by these public displays of indigenousness like literally once in my entire life?

And can we talk for a second about Adam Goodes!? I'm pretty sure racism didn't exist until Adam Goodes started talking about it 2 years ago. Maybe my memory is a bit hazy, but i'm pretty sure that all races were living together in harmony 50 years ago when there weren't show ponies like Goodes around to upset the apple cart. I just can't believe that someone could make it all about them by addressing broad social issues and doing something to express the culture of hundreds of thousands of voiceless, invisible people. What a selfish flog.
I'm scared that some people will be confused by your post ... as they will feel agree they with it, but also feel like they are somehow missing the point :confused:

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
No, I don't. Sports has been used for more than a millennia to drive societal change, often being a political lightning rod to change perceptions and raise awareness. These days it's used to raise awareness of serious issues within our society, more a representation of a stance against something, such as racism and family violence. To say that doesn't drive political change is nonsense.
Where did you get this sweeping statement from? No need to answer - the loaded PC phrases "societal change... change perceptions...raise awareness" give us a clue. The usual revisionist nonsense used by those whose agenda is to hijack high profile sports for partisan political purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back